Airfix 2018

old thumper

3 hours ago, john224 said:

Don't forget the "out of production" Mk 22, another Griffon engined mark. While Airfix might consider the Griffon engined marks done, I wouldn't rule out a Mk XIV, especially as so many modellers seem to cry out for one.

If they produced a kit of the MkXIV including options for clipped wings, a low-back FRXIVe and maybe even an FRXVIII I, personally, would be getting quite a few of them.  Maybe it could even be cross-kitted with the Mk22 to make a Mk21. 

• Like 3

A Mark.14 Spitfire wouldn’t look much different to their 22 to most people I’m afraid.  And the 1/72 22 was flogged off widely at Home Bargains.  

Same for a 14 vs their previously available 12 or 22/24 in 1/48.

10 minutes ago, iainpeden said:

The Bucc at Duxford is right next to the Phantom which was scanned; given that the old Bucc moulds are clearly worn out does, I suggest, point to a replacement at least in the planning stage.

Wouldn't it be great to be able to represent Ark Royal's air group in modern kit form?  Various versions of the Italeri/Revell Wessex, the Sword Gannet (albeit with a bit of work), the forthcoming Phantom and a shiny new mould Buccaneer.   How can Airfix resist?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Denford said:

The cries of 'not another Spitfire' will come from those might have bought the 'something else'.  Again to many a Spitfire is just a Spitfire and they've already got one (so won't be buying another) but again might have bought the 'something else'.

Or it could be that those who want a Spit XIV will say 'oh not another something else' & won't buy it. For example, for myself personally - anything Luftwaffe in any scale - they can keep it. Walrus (if that's not 'niche'. dunno what is!) no thanks. B-17. Nah. 48th Mustang? Why on earth would I want another to add to the Hasegawa & Tamiya ones I already have (although I did buy a 72nd new tool when Aldi were banging them out for 3 quid!) But, 48th Spit XIV low & high back - yes please, Mr.Airfix, two of each at least....!!

Just a differing scenario....;)

• Like 3

1 minute ago, malpaso said:

A Mark.14 Spitfire wouldn’t look much different to their 22 to most people I’m afraid.  And the 1/72 22 was flogged off widely at Home Bargains.  

I think a MkXIV with box art of it chasing a V1 would look very different to a Mk22 and would appeal to casual buyers.   They have a Doodlebug kit in their possession.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Or it could be that those who want a Spit XIV will say 'oh not another something else' & won't buy it. For example, for myself personally - anything Luftwaffe in any scale - they can keep it. Walrus (if that's not 'niche'. dunno what is!) no thanks. B-17. Nah. 48th Mustang? Why on earth would I want another to add to the Hasegawa & Tamiya ones I already have (although I did buy a 72nd new tool when Aldi were banging them out for 3 quid!) But, 48th Spit XIV low & high back - yes please, Mr.Airfix, two of each at least....!!

Just a differing scenario....;)

Almost with you on every point there.  Just wrong scale!:D

9 minutes ago, malpaso said:

you forget though that airfix had to cut 40% of their product lines and shift a load of stock due to hornby's woes so doesn't point directly to the kit being a poor seller 

Edited by PhantomBigStu

22 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

And the 1/72 22 was flogged off widely at Home Bargains.

The Tomahawk, Vampire T11, Mustang IV and Hurricane, and possibly others I can't remember now, were also sold off cheaply by HB and Aldi. Latterly the new tool Dakota, Shackleton, Beaufighter TF10, 48th Lightning F1, 48th Hurricane Trop & 24th Typhoon have all been sold around half price or less by tkmaxx. So it's not just Spitfires that suffer getting flogged off cheaply.....!!

20 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

Almost with you on every point there.  Just wrong scale!:D

I've got a 'few' Sword & AZ kits in the one true scale to be getting on with, but I do fancy a couple of nice fumble thumb scale ones too...!!

Keith

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

The Tomahawk, Mustang IV and Hurricane, among others I can't remember now, were also sold off cheaply by HB and Aldi. Latterly the new tool Dakota, Shackleton, Beaufighter TF10, 48th Lightning F1, & 24th Typhoon have all been sold around half price or less by tkmaxx. So it's not just Spitfires that suffer getting flooged off cheaply.....!!

I've got a 'few' Sword & AZ kits in the one true scale to be getting on with, but I do fancy a couple of nice fumble thumb scale ones too...!!

Keith

Ha ha.  A 'few'.  An interesting word that can be interpreted in so many ways.  I have one as well which has enough spare parts, combined with the spares box, to build another - which is jolly decent of them.  It looks like a nice kit and I have just finished their low-back Mk XVI which went together really well.  Can't have too many Spitfires though so I just know that if there was a stack of new tool Airfix MkXIVs in my LHS I'd probably end up buying one every time I went in!

Half-price Shackleton you say?  I wonder where my nearest branch is. 

Edited by Meatbox8
  • Like 1

Crumbs, I need to get to TK Maxx toute suite then! Whilst the Seaking is on the list, their Starter Set didnt hang around long. Also I seem to remember that their Merlin was hard to shift. During the file sale an enterprising forumite worked out that they actually had 'live stock' so kept adding more and more to his online basket to find out how many were left - I think he lost count at 3000 whereas there were mere hundreds of the other stuff on there - can't remember about the Lynx though....

Having just checked it seems that the 1/72 Lanc is only now available as a Dambuster variant, albeit I think you can build a straight III from the box so maybe Denford chap is right?

Pattern wise though, its seems unlikely they would release a new 1/72 V Bomber when a Victor K2 surely must be on the cards imminently - wouldnt that compete for pocket change with a new tool Vulcan. Equally the headliner for 2016 Telford was the Phantom - would another 1/72 CW jet be unlikely the following year? Especially given the comments above regarding seeing how the Phantom sells. Its been three years since the Tiffie.... we've had a 1/72 Wimpey, a 1/48 Blenheim.... ooo innit exciting...

If its a 1/24 Gladiator or Lightning modelling friends of mine will require defribulating. If its a 1/48 Lanc so will I. 

If its a 1/72 JU88 I'll nod politely and move on. 

From memory the big announcements were:

2012 Valiant

2013 1/24 Typhoon

2014 Sea King, Defiant, Heinkel HE111

2015 Victor

2016 Phantom

Make of that what you will!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

If its a 1/72 JU88 I'll nod politely and move on. 

Have no fears. It's the RAF's centenary. I'm sure they won't give the Luftwaffe such an inappropriate propaganda victory!

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, malpaso said:

There are so many more marking options for the XIV versus the XII or the F.22. The 22 was strictly post-war and served mostly in reserve squadrons while the XII only saw Service with one squadron as it was kind of a stop-gap solution until the XIV came along. The XIV served in Europe and the Pacific theatre and was used by Belgium, India, Burma and others. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, VMA131Marine said:

There are so many more marking options for the XIV versus the XII or the F.22. The 22 was strictly post-war and served mostly in reserve squadrons while the XII only saw Service with one squadron as it was kind of a stop-gap solution until the XIV came along. The XIV served in Europe and the Pacific theatre and was used by Belgium, India, Burma and others. 

Ooo you mentioned Burma and Spitfire in the same sentence. I think you got away with though.:P

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

7 minutes ago, 12by12 said:

" XII only saw Service with one squadron "   100% out?

Okay, two squadrons so you get a choice of which squadron code letters to use. That doesn't affect the basic point I was making that a kit of the XIV would have a lot more colour scheme and marking options.

Edited by VMA131Marine

I believe the ideal time for a Vulcan re-tool would have been while XH558 was still flying, but seeing as she has now been grounded I'm afraid it will be some time until we see a new tool Vulcan. I agree about the Bucc though, it would be logical to complement the Phantoms. And I'm fairly confident they'll release the Victor K.2 parts as a small kit like they did with the Valiant PR parts. Only 48 hours to wait now for the big one...!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, GordonM said:

But would the Burma ones come complete with crate and conspiracy theory?

I think it comes with a ground-penetrating radar (GPR) unit and a "GPR Operator Crewman", the latter wearing wellies, shorts, a tweed jacket (leather elbow patches optional), Bombay bowler and carrying an umbrella (open and closed options included in the kit). 

• Haha 6

Would Airfix commit to a 1/24 scale kit with the unknowing economic future, I would think not if they want to stay in business.

What I am surprised at is that Airfix has not sent out any teasers regarding their announcements so it may be just modifications of existing tools.

But then who on BM actually knows what Airfix business plans are, a very small handful I guess.

Robert

Edited by Robert
Grammar

Just now, Robert said:

But then who on BM actually knows what Airfix business plans are, a very small handful I guess.

I think you'll find it's no-one! 

We're all outside the shop, noses pressed against the glass..  :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, iainpeden said:

The Bucc at Duxford is right next to the Phantom which was scanned; given that the old Bucc moulds are clearly worn out does, I suggest, point to a replacement at least in the planning stage.

They didn't scan the Bucc .