Airfix 2018

old thumper

OK I will play.  My hopes fro Airfix in 2018:

1/72 SUPERMARINE SCIMITAR

1/72 SEA VENOM

1/72 SEA VIXEN

Not interested in these big scales but I bet they would sell bunches for Airfix!?!?!?!

1/32 HAWKER TYPHOON

1/24 FW-190A

On 12/10/2017 at 10:03 AM, noelh said:

Stayed up all night as a 9 year old to watch the big moment. Exciting days. Hard to believe my now 9 year old son will probably never see the like of it again. 

As for the Camel. The fact that they displayed one at Telford AND feature brand new artwork in the Airfix calendar somewhat implies a re-issue perhaps as part of a gift set celebrating 100 years of the RAF?

But do we dare dream of a new tool?

Reissuing the old Camel would be a huge step backwards; that kit dates back to the 1950's. The BE2c and Fokker E.II that they released a couple of years ago are such nice kits it would be incredibly disappointing if they decided to recycle that ancient molding. We actually need a new Camel in 1/72. The Revell kit is from the 1960's and the Roden kit is not exactly an easy build. Likely, the model on display was a placeholder for a kit that they don't have a even a 3D printed mockup of yet. 

Edited by VMA131Marine

3 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

Reissuing the old Camel would be a huge step backwards; that kit dates back to the 1950's. The BE2c and Fokker E.II that they released a couple of years ago are such nice kits it would be incedibly disappointing if they decided to recycle that ancient molding. We actually need a new Camel in 1/72. The Revell kit is from the 1960's and the Roden kit is not exactly an easy build. Likely, the model on display was a placeholder for a kit that they don't have a even a 3D printed mockup of yet. 

1/24, 1/24, 1/24,1/24.........1/24...........

Steve

• Like 1

On 12/10/2017 at 9:03 AM, noelh said:

Stayed up all night as a 9 year old to watch the big moment. Exciting days. Hard to believe my now 9 year old son will probably never see the like of it again. 

Apparently the USA is planning on going back (and to Mars) sometime in the nearish future, so who knows? I just hope I can escape my children at long last by heading into low earth orbit.

• Haha 5

15 years ago, or thereabouts, I built a Camel for Humbrol. It was scheduled for inclusion in one of the big gift sets they were doing at the time. They wanted to run the mould to see what it looked like. 

It was truly terrible. I got 2 sets of mouldings and ended up having to buy a bagged type 3 from Ebay to get usable wings, and even they were marginal. 

I can only hope that this particular mould was been consigned to recycling. 

I liked the KeilKraft kit though, easy to build and bright orange! 

John 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Corvi said:

1/32 HAWKER TYPHOON

The Airfix rep at the presentation last week, said that Airfix wont do 1/32 kits, they feel 1/24 is suitable for big kits and there e plenty of manufacturers who do 1/32.

With all the data they have wouldn't be surprised to see a 1/48 kit of the Typhoon though.

He said its 9th Jan that we will know, so getting closer, maybe the MoDs could change the countdown from Christmas to the Airfix Day on here.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, trickydicky210 said:

He said its 9th Jan that we will know, so getting closer, maybe the MoDs could change the countdown from Christmas to the Airfix Day on here.

I like it.

I’ll admit I would always treat the Airfix end of year announcement as kind of an early Christmas present, however now I’ll have to wait a couple of weeks longer. Let’s just hope there’s something there for all of us! 

Now let’s all sing along - 

“All I want for Christmas is a 1/72 new tool Venom... a new tool Venom... a new tool Venom” ... and repeat! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 3

Information I have is all the Hornby 2018 ranges ,first half of the year for Corgi, will be announced on Monday 8th of January, there should be some happy people on here but some who will be disappointed that the Mk VII version of Scruggs Wondaplane in 1/137th isn't included ;)

42 minutes ago, sniperUK said:

...some who will be disappointed that the Mk VII version of Scruggs Wondaplane in 1/137th isn't included ;)

A little birdie told me that Airfix have opted for the Scruggs Wonderplane Mk Vb in 1/159th. A trifle disappointing to say the least, opting for the variant and scale that every other manufacturer produces. Yawn! Another Mk Vb everone will say, but I suppose the Tamiya 1/159 Scruggs Wonderplane Mk Vb doesn't make any money for Airfix! 

1 hour ago, fightersweep said:

A little birdie told me that Airfix have opted for the Scruggs Wonderplane Mk Vb in 1/159th. A trifle disappointing to say the least, opting for the variant and scale that every other manufacturer produces. Yawn! Another Mk Vb everone will say, but I suppose the Tamiya 1/159 Scruggs Wonderplane Mk Vb doesn't make any money for Airfix! 

Surely that’s a typo? Shouldn’t it be 5/119th?

• Like 1

Any way dear reader back to the plot........................................

I suspect that the last workbench for the year will have a new tooling ....... correct me if I'm wrong but nothing has been mentioned by Airfix so far in 1/72 scale.   :hmmm:

We are due for anther kit that is "left field" as this seems to be an airfix trait each year.   :smartass:  :yahoo:

Dick 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jenko said:

Any way dear reader back to the plot........................................

I suspect that the last workbench for the year will have a new tooling ....... correct me if I'm wrong but nothing has been mentioned by Airfix so far in 1/72 scale.   :hmmm:

We are due for anther kit that is "left field" as this seems to be an airfix trait each year.   :smartass:  :yahoo:

Dick 

Nope, only 1 workbench remaining and it will be a compilation for the year, quotes from the last WB

"the next edition of Workbench is due to be published on Friday 29th December"

"instead our annual review edition will go live the following Friday 29th December."

7 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Nope, only 1 workbench remaining and it will be a compilation for the year, quotes from the last WB

"the next edition of Workbench is due to be published on Friday 29th December"

"instead our annual review edition will go live the following Friday 29th December."

BUM!!!

7 hours ago, Procopius said:

Apparently the USA is planning on going back (and to Mars) sometime in the nearish future, so who knows? I just hope I can escape my children at long last by heading into low earth orbit.

Like most things that man says he'll do. It'll never fly. There's no reason to go to the moon anyway. Not anymore. 

2 hours ago, fightersweep said:

Ah the Scruggs Wonderplane, certainly it's designer Uncle Roger Bacon will never be dead as long as it's remembered. Actually I don't think he's dead unless his alter ego J M Ramsden has left us recently? 

Still we've been waiting for the definitive model of this illusive bird for years. However it is an airliner and I don't think Airfix do airliners anymore. 

4 hours ago, jenko said:

If Airfix don't release a 1/24 scale Camel ...... will we all get the hump ??? :whistle:    

I hope they do but a 1/72 Camel will do nicely too. If I was a betting man, wait I am a betting man, won fifty quid yesterday:yes:. I'll bet on a camel. I have to say the clues are all there. That plus a 100 years of the RAF gift set including the modern Typhoon, Spitfire and new tool Camel. Now lets see if William Hill will take my bet!

I'm increasingly thinking that the Wellington and Blenheim will be it for 2018, with Humbrol struggling to stay afloat.

I'm not complaining too much, as with an S&M Canberra in the post, the Dora Wings Vega Gull and Valom Albatross to make, the  year is already half sorted without even having to break into the stash!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Vulcanicity said:

I'm increasingly thinking that the Wellington and Blenheim will be it for 2018, with Humbrol struggling to stay afloat.

I'm not complaining too much, as with an S&M Canberra in the post, the Dora Wings Vega Gull and Valom Albatross to make, the  year is already half sorted without even having to break into the stash!

with seval reboxings pretty certain to follow from 2017 toolings to flesh out the range, as well as the inevitable raf 100 gift sets/reissues, but I would be shocked if there isn't a small new tool as well if that is going to be it or the larger new tools. 

1 hour ago, noelh said:

Like most things that man says he'll do. It'll never fly. There's no reason to go to the moon anyway. Not anymore.

Well, I'm sure NASA have retained documents relating to the Altair lander, and with SLS lumbering slowly to completion this gives the SLS a range of goals (apart from the DSG). I'd put money on commercial companies being contracted to fly manned lunar missions (NASA have already opened a lunar cargo supply competition for industry).

From that you might be able to tell that I'm a bit of an aerospace nut; hence why I would also love to see a new-tool Saturn V. (Perhaps Airfix saw how well the Lego Saturn V sold?)

Edit: references

Edited by cathasatail

1 minute ago, cathasatail said:

Well, I'm sure NASA have retained documents relating to the Altair lander, and with SLS lumbering slowly to completion this gives the SLS a range of goals (apart from the DSG). I'd put money on commercial companies being contracted to fly manned lunar missions (NASA have already opened a lunar cargo supply competition for industry).

From that you might be able to tell that I'm a bit of an aerospace nut; hence why I would also love to see a new-tool Saturn V. (Perhaps Airfix saw how well the Lego Saturn V sold?)

As one longstanding aerospace nut to another I agree that it's entirely possible to go back to the moon. But if lunar missions flew on wishful thinking they would be easy to organise. Sadly I think this announcement merely a feel good gesture to 'make America great again'. NASA's budget won't allow it. 

Would love a new build Saturn V too. I'd also love to get my hands on a Saturn V model that visited my school back in the day. It was huge and could be broken down to each module. I think it must have been an official US government model. There must be a few around. As it is I expect there will be a releases and re releases for the 50th anniversary. Looking forward to that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vulcanicity said:

The Airfix rep last Thursday said there will be more than these 2 kits as new tools, but wouldn't say how many as he could not remember.

I would suspect it to be around the same as this year. (well hoping anyway).

13 minutes ago, trickydicky210 said:

The Airfix rep last Thursday said there will be more than these 2 kits as new tools, but wouldn't say how many as he could not remember.

I would suspect it to be around the same as this year. (well hoping anyway).

Thats interesting to know - I hope its right, but bit of an odd marketing 'miss' not to unveil something at Telford. As such I suspect there was going to be an announcement but the test shot either went whumpf or wasnt delivered or wasnt ready in time. I think IIRC there were about 12 new tools for 2017...

Sea Fury, Walrus, Phantom, Stuka x2, Mitchell, ME262, plus revised toolings - Shack AEW, Meteor F8, Sea Hurri, Blenheim IV,  so to lump em all together say 11 and 7 new tools- so thats a lot to hold back for an announcement. 

So we know about 1/48 Blenheim and 1/72 Wimpey

The Almost Certain revised tools must be a FGR2, twintub Schwable, Victor K2,  B-25J... B-17F  tin wing Hurri or Sea Hurri - tooling has a separate bottom(?), F-51?

And they are likely to reveal a new Quickbuild....plus.....

Final Pennorth..... 

1/72 or 1/48 Fairey Battle

1/72 Westland Lysander

1/72 or 1/48 Spitfire XVI

A Cold War Jet.... single seat Vampire? 

1/72 Sopwith Camel

1/72 DH Mosquito

1/72 Avro York. You never know.....two boxings one military one civil......!

Best of luck Airfix - we want you to succeed!

TT

Merlin Beau? Provost T5? Meteor NF? 

• Like 1

I think we will see some change of scales of a previous release

i.e a 1/48 Gladiator/Tiger Moth/Swordfish/Vampire/Provost/(MIG 15 - heard something about this on here somewhere)  and/or 1/72 Javelin/Sea Vixen/Meteor

Would love to see a new Hunter, 1/48 Harrier GR3, Venom, Lysander, Mossie, Beaufort, Scimitar and loads more

20 minutes ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

Best of luck Airfix - we want you to succeed!

TT

Agree with the above

Rich

• Like 1