Airfix 2018

old thumper

6 hours ago, Chillidragon said:

I do regret not being in time to buy the Praying Mantis when I wanted one; my then local Oriental Arts shop had some beautiful bamboo cages (bird size, but I didn't fancy a caged bird) in which it would have looked a bit startling at first sight, being several times life size.

Is this the same mould?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gigantics-Colossal-Mantis-Diorama-Model/dp/B002MN78KS

But £50?!

Trevor

The dinorsaurs were issued in Japan in the same way Gunze did the birds, and Heller did some releases of them. Sadly for me the proposed set with the Corythosaurus never appears, as I'd like to do that again. I had all except the Brontosaurus bacuk in my youth

As was mentioned, the stances are wrong for modern interpretations - even the Triceratops, which is probably the closest to modern depictions, has spread front joints (imagine something the size of small elephant trying to stand on angled joints, it really is surprising the anatomists didn't notice this earlier).

I had the Praying Mantis, but really wanted the Scorpion as well!

6 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Mate, you really should work on that stutter, i'm sure what you really meant was,

1/72 Venom

1/72 Vixen

1/72 Scimitar.  ....   

This may interest you then ;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Havilland-Vixen-Manual-Haynes-Manuals/dp/1785211889/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1511958437&sr=8-1&keywords=sea+vixen+manual

de Havilland Sea Vixen Manual (Haynes Manuals)

5 Jun 2018

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

Turns out they did 8

Triceratops, Stegosaurus, T. Rex, Dimetrodon, Brontosaurus, Pteranodon, Ankylosaurus and Corythosaurus.

the first six were redone as two box sets about 10 years ago.

6 out of 8. The Dimetrodon was not a dinosaur but a Synapsid or 'mammal-like reptile' - creatures on the evolutionary path that ultimately led to us. And Pteranodon was a Pterosaur.

That's my useless fact of the day. Or QI, depending on your viewpoint. :lol:

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Mate, you really should work on that stutter, i'm sure what you really meant was,

1/72 Venom

1/72 Vixen

1/72 Scimitar.     :D   

Carefully arranged to hide the Lost Ark no doubt. :)

Steve.

No he was right first time

On 11/28/2017 at 09:56, shatters said:

1/72 venom 

1/72 venom

1/72 venom

Like the cut of your jib there!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, trickydicky210 said:

No advent calendar 😒

No, I've just found that out too!  I just thought "Oh it's December, best check the Airfix Advent Calendar", and there isn't one!

Sad days indeed...

13 hours ago, Wez said:

No, I've just found that out too!  I just thought "Oh it's December, best check the Airfix Advent Calendar", and there isn't one!

Sad days indeed...

I think they stopped that after details of new kits were "leaked" prematurely? Sad days? No, I don't think so. I think too m any people worked themselves into a near frenzy of anticipation based on nothing more than assumption - namely that just because Airfix did something last year and the previous year(s) that they'd do the same this year? The much anticipated (falsely as it turned out)  "big announcement" at Telford is surely a case in point

Allan

Edited by Albeback52
  • Like 4

But it was a nice tradition that they started. Also as shown it is customer perception, Airfix started something that modellers looked forward to now it has been stopped and customers are wondering why. It is all about customer service which Airfix/Hornby should take a good look at if they want to stay in business.

Robert

• Like 3

Sad, we all look forward to the advent calendar and all that goes with it, Airfix doing a good job with this yearly treat 🍨.

But, as we all know, things are not great back at Airfix/Hornby, and haven't been for some time, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for them, and that they keep going.

Telford this year had a feel of a bit of a down turn with the major manufacture's, sign of the times, prices and how many sold hold the key, and £35, for a good new tool, seems to be the bench mark, I wonder how many Walrus kits are sold, and I'm not sure that just producing Aircraft is the best way to go, all your eggs in one basket.

maybe it's only going to be two new kits for a few years, and reissue old kits with new markings, I can live with that.

How many new Tools have Airfix issued this past ten years, 80❓ , I'm not sure, but at least we have them, Revell have issued about the same, so we are not short of subject matter.😊

2 hours ago, Gerrardandrews said:

I wonder how many Walrus kits are sold,

It was under the top ten at the big H for quite awhile ....

The new Shack is at second place ATM.

I don't know how representative that is tho ...

4 hours ago, Gerrardandrews said:

Sad, we all look forward to the advent calendar and all that goes with it, Airfix doing a good job with this yearly treat 🍨.

But, as we all know, things are not great back at Airfix/Hornby, and haven't been for some time, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for them, and that they keep going.

Telford this year had a feel of a bit of a down turn with the major manufacture's, sign of the times, prices and how many sold hold the key, and £35, for a good new tool, seems to be the bench mark, I wonder how many Walrus kits are sold, and I'm not sure that just producing Aircraft is the best way to go, all your eggs in one basket.

maybe it's only going to be two new kits for a few years, and reissue old kits with new markings, I can live with that.

How many new Tools have Airfix issued this past ten years, 80❓ , I'm not sure, but at least we have them, Revell have issued about the same, so we are not short of subject matter.😊

An even 100 new tool kits since Hornby took over (unless I missed any)

1/12

Shaun the sheep with Land Rover

Shaun the sheep with Tractor

Doctor Who Dalek encounter

Doctor Who Tardis

Wallis and Gromit Anti-Pesto van

1/32

Mini Cooper S

Mini Countryman

Aston Martin DBR9

Jaguar XKR GT3

Ford Fiesta RS WRC

1/24

Mosquito FB.VI

Hawker Typhoon

1/48

TSR.2

Walrus

Sea Vixen

Javelin

P-51D

P-40B/C

Spitfire Mk.I/II/Vb

Spitfire PR.XIX

Spitfire Mk.XII

Seafire Mk.XVII

Hurricane Mk.I

Gloster Meteor F.8

Blenheim Mk.I (future)

Ju 87B/R

Folland Gnat

Albion refueller

Bedford MWD

BP Defiant

Bf 109E 

Westland Lynx

Westland Merlin

Canberra B.2/6/8/PR.9

BAe Warrior

SUPACAT Jackal/Coyote 

Hawker Sea Fury FB.II (soon)

Quad Bikes and crew

Land Rover WMIK/Snatch

1/72

Bf 109G-6 (ugh!)

Bf 109E 

Fw 190A-8

Bf 110C/D/E

Blenheim Mk.I/IV

Gladiator

Hurricane Mk.IIb/c/d (ugh!)

Hurricane Mk.I early

Hawker Typhoon

BAe Hawk T.1

Supermarine Swift

Spitfire Mk.IX

Spitfire Mk I/II/Va

Spitfire PR.XIX

Spitfire F.22

Heinkel He 111H/P

Dornier Do 17Z

AW Whitley

Wellington Mk Ic (future)

F-86E/F Sabre

MiG-15 (sorta)

Folland Gnat

HP Victor

Vickers Valiant

Avro Lancaster

Avro Shackleton 

DH Vampire T.11

Jet Provost T.3/4

HS Nimrod

Douglas A-4B Skyhawk

Nakajima B5N-1/2 Kate

A6M2 Zero

F4F-4/Martlet IV

P-51D Mustang

B-25C/D (soon)

Phantom FG.1 (soon)

Douglas C-47/DC-3

Fokker E.II

BE2c

Boulton Paul  Defiant Me 262A-1a

Fairey Swordfish

Westland Sea King

Canberra B.8/PR.9

RNLI Severn class lifeboat

Sea Harrier FRS.1/FA.2

B-17G

Beaufighter TF.X

RAF vehicle set (Bedford MWD, Tilly)

BAe Harrier GR.7A/9

Bedford QL trucks

Harrier GR.1/3/AV-8A

Higgins LCVP

Lightning F.2A/6

Curtiss P-40B

Willys Airborne Jeep

1/76

Cromwell

King Tiger

1/350

HMS Illustrious 

HMS Daring

HMS Trafalgar

1/400

Mary Rose

Edited by VMA131Marine
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 28/11/2017 at 3:47 PM, Martin T said:

Not sure about the dinosaurs. Modern children who might want build a dinosaur are not going to be impressed by the Airfix ones which despite being around in the early part of this century are not exactly state of the art shape wise. Look at the T. Rex or Brontosaur and a modern reconstruction, or even the ones in 'Walking With Dinosaurs' Dippy in the Natural History Museum was re configured a while back to reflect our knowledge of what sauropods looked like (I showed the box art to my son who has a degree in Geology and Palaeobiology and he fell about laughing)

Kids just don't think like that unless they're very enthusiastic palaeontologists, and while some certainly are the vast majority aren't. It's a bit like saying that kids won't build the Airfix Bf109G because of the shape of the cowling mg breach bulges.

A small group of Airfix stegosaurus basking in the sunshine on my classroom window sill:

herd1.jpg

I would get through load of Airfix dinosaurs if I could get them. Meanwhile, the business goes to Tamiya:

P1010384_zpsozyaqyua.jpg

16992058_10206324145662156_4574959110012

17435937_10206519884355501_4457962056125

17635554_10206519886875564_2239510473302

17620205_10206519881395427_7879493268612

18738330_10206876879240150_5566951772005

18673327_10206876880120172_2532086152106

18672930_10206876878640135_4329843048593

John

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

Agreed a lot of kids will not be that bothered, but I suspect more will be than you might think. A lot of the pictures they see in books are more like what current research represents. I can remember my son being quite fussy at an early age, certainly by the time he would be building kits he would not be impressed by the Airfix ones. I am still not convinced Airfix would make a lot of money flogging old tooled kits to kids as this has been complained about on the forum before for a number of reasons, not least ease of assembly. 

On 02/12/2017 at 5:30 PM, John said:

Kids just don't think like that unless they're very enthusiastic palaeontologists, and while some certainly are the vast majority aren't. It's a bit like saying that kids won't build the Airfix Bf109G because of the shape of the cowling mg breach bulges.

A small group of Airfix stegosaurus basking in the sunshine on my classroom window sill:

I would get through load of Airfix dinosaurs if I could get them. Meanwhile, the business goes to Tamiya:

P1010384_zpsozyaqyua.jpg

An aside, it amuses me that tamiya still market that T Rex and not the much more anatomically correct one that they released in 1/35 in the 90s.

Edited by Dave Fleming
  • Like 2

On 11/29/2017 at 4:00 PM, IanC said:

6 out of 8. The Dimetrodon was not a dinosaur but a Synapsid or 'mammal-like reptile' - creatures on the evolutionary path that ultimately led to us. And Pteranodon was a Pterosaur.

That's my useless fact of the day. Or QI, depending on your viewpoint. :lol:

What does 'mammal-like reptile' mean?  Did it lay eggs or give birth?  Or was it something else altogether that separated it from dinosaurs? A kit of a Dimetrodon was the only 'dinosaur' I built.  I seem to remember it was moulded in purple plastic.  Can't remember who made it but I don't think it was Airfix.

Edited by Meatbox8

On ‎02‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 17:30, John said:

John

The great thing about modelling dinosaurs is that no one can accuse you of using the wrong RLM colour.

P.S. Note to moderators, I have tried to edit this post so as to not re-produce all the photos but can't for the life of me figure out how to do it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1