Airfix 2018

old thumper

9 hours ago, trickydicky210 said:

Now a 1/24 Gladiator would be a nice addition

This would cause me a problem. It wouldn't be how many would I buy? More a case of how many wouldn't buy? We do know that a 1/24 Gladiator was considered by Airfix before. Bring it on I say! I would also have the same dilemma with a 1/24 Spitfire XIV.....Oh yes please!! 

Please let's also have a 1/72 Harvard II...

...And also that 1/48 Hunter. Not my scale, but a total cash cow for Airfix surely?

Totally agree with the 1/72 Ju-88A-1. The missing link from their Battle of Britain themed range. 

A few re-releases wouldn't go amiss. Unlikely I know, but the Shorts Skyvan, Cherokee Arrow, Cessna Bird Dog, Cessna 02 and Dh Beaver would be nice to see again.

Oh, and I'll take dozens of the Vauxhall Victor estates, Morris Marinas, Austin Maxis, MG 1100s and Sunbean Rapiers please? If not, I'll buy the moulds of them and knock em' out myself...

Edited by fightersweep

13 hours ago, RussellE said:

How about a new tool 1/72 Ju88? :idea:

The only a/c from Battle of Britain not to be retooled by Airfix so far...

What about the CR42, BR20, Ju86, or He59, just to name a few types which saw combat over SE England during the period?! :P

I confidently expect the Telford announcement to be a DH106 Comet in 1/72, but then I say that every year...

Edited by Vulcanicity
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, shatters said:

Does anyone know how well the 1/48 raf vehicles and ground crew sold ?

Would love to see a david brown tractor and bomb train in 48th.

Phil

For the past couple of years my suggestions to Airfix at SMW have been 1:48 versions of their airfield support vehicle sets. - That's a more realistic proposition than what I really want, which is a 1:35 scale Hamilcar glider. 

8 hours ago, fightersweep said:

I'll take dozens of the Vauxhall Victor estates, Morris Marinas, Austin Maxis, MG 1100s and Sunbean Rapiers please?

I don't know about dozens, but I'd like one of each, and a Renault Dauphine! And at least two each of the Lotus Cortinas & Mk1 Capris......!!

Keith

Well, perhaps dozens was a bit over enthusiastic, but I would want a least a couple of each. The Capri and Zephyr are tricky, as the original kits are long gone as the moulds were modified when they were re-released as the Krackle Kat and Night Prowler custom cars. Shame really. Thanks for reminding me about the Lotus Cortina and Renault! :thumbsup:

Steve

• Like 1

Does anyone think that the Sopwith Camel and Typhoon GR.4 on the cover of the 2018 Airfix Modelworld calendar may be a subtle hint to what’s in stall for next year?? 

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Does anyone think that the Sopwith Camel and Typhoon  GR.4 on the cover of the 2018 Airfix Modelworld calendar may be a subtle hint to what’s in stall for next year?? 

Cheers.. Dave

Hmm, artwork not always a hint but I believe thats how the shackelton was hinted at. The camel is a very likely release for next year, would bet against the typhoon, but that could well be the telford reveal. If so, just made my day, we need a proper typhoon on the shelves. Airfix FGR4 on the shelves of my LHS will do well from me just like the phantom

I really expect  a Typhoon FGR4 will be along soon, as I also expect a Camel and a Fokker Triplane at one point (and 2018 would be the obvious year for them).

The FGR2 Phantom is a given, but surely they will get a couple of years out of the FG1 first.

And they will, at one point, get a Hunter out on the market, and I reckon it will be a twin stick variant, fits in with the Trainers they currently do.........and while on the subject, a new tooled Hawk.

Not all next year, but I suspect over the next two or three years.

The Calendar doesn't give a lot away - title says its celebrating 100 years of the RAF

The front cover has a camel, Spit Mk1 & Typhoon Jet. The Camel is a new pic of a camel and I am sure its a new pic of the typhoon (its very similar to the kit boxing (reversed) - but doesnt have drop tanks and the radome is lighter in colour). The Spit is from the starter set.

The monthly pages are as follows:

Jan - Seaking - Starter set image

Feb - Whitley MkV

Mar - Sopwith Camel (First of Prototype at Brooklands) - NEW IMAGE

Apr - Shack Mr2

May - Swift FR5

Jun - Lightning F3 - (1/48 Red Tail boxing)

Jul - Typhoon (starter set)

August - Hawker Typhoon (1/72 Kit Image)

Sept - Spitfire Mk1a - From Dogfight double v 109 Image

Oct - Victor B mk2 - Current kit image

Nov - Red Arrows Hawk - standard series 2  boxing

Dec - Hawker Hunter Mk6 (wishful thinking)  (sorry just kidding - December is Hurricane Mk1- series1 box)

So there we go

A new camel?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That's an odd Camel (1 Vickers & overwing Lewis).  Would be nice, whatever, even more so in 1/24th. But not another Fokker Triplane please, in any scale, there are plenty of reasonably modern toolings available even if they don't make money for Airfix.

Paul.

2 hours ago, trickydicky210 said:

Hannants have the following xtradecal  https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X48186 as a future release. Could Airfix be about to release a 1/48 Phantom?

No, more likely they've already done the design and research for the forthcoming Airfix 1/72nd kit and have just scaled it up for the 1/48th Hasegawa kit