1/72 Italeri Macchi C205

Hello and thanks for your interest,

here's my 1/72 Italeri Macchi C205, built from the box.

I only added MPM Seatbelts.

Thje nose spiral is not included in the kit's decals, so I used one from an (Fw-190) aftermarket sheet.

The kit has relatively few parts, is well detailled, and builds into a nice replica without any major problems.

I found the ANR markings with the Italian Flag especially attractive;

my model served with the 1° Gruppo Caccia (Fighter Squadron) in 1944.

It was painted in German late-war colors with Gunze/Mr.Hobby acrylics (RLM74/75/76).

Photographs by Wolfgang Rabel, IGM Cars & Bikes.

4cd4f062-2153-41ae-b6e7-a79543e9fbd0.jpg

1784f1b9-08ec-4b48-a1ed-e4350d4b1ddc.jpg52514752-256c-453f-8625-e991cea37629.jpg13889ae9-b63c-4f7a-bf7c-24d2b79a31c2.jpg3ececbba-31b6-4f8b-be0a-2a4e40efddb8.jpg6f4aa630-0789-455c-a51c-8bb1a55166b3.jpgd89d4447-47b7-4d0c-a60c-900162fac3e1.jpg93d79d92-46b2-4edd-bd21-1dd8b33af29d.jpgd0eb601c-30e7-420c-a815-f15b917055bc.jpg1638c7cf-e480-446e-a33c-b8b25be478e4.jpg61405012-4a2e-4dab-ae33-a8e3709d228c.jpg0f3325fb-7b7c-42f9-91e4-dfff95f08851.jpg

3dc4d1da-7bd7-47d2-8ac6-cd53baab7e62.jpg

37057c3d-c82d-4027-a1e6-538775d07389.jpg

cc58e327-aa19-4073-b9d4-d6783464422c.jpgab1ad08b-5bb5-4e28-8051-77e15b8e392a.jpg

Greetings from Vienna!

Roman

• Like 43
  • Thanks 1

Fantastic work, very realistic. Congratulations.

I was especially interested to see the decals or 'transfers' as we originally used to call them - they look to be painted on - 'no silvering' or evidence of a backing film etc.

How did you do the decals? - there have been plenty previous posts on use of MicroSol/Microfix or coat of 'Future' polish to try to eliminate air under the decals but I have not mastered it yet.

Thanks.

Mike

52 minutes ago, Ventora3300 said:

Fantastic work, very realistic. Congratulations.

I was especially interested to see the decals or 'transfers' as we originally used to call them - they look to be painted on - 'no silvering' or evidence of a backing film etc.

How did you do the decals? - there have been plenty previous posts on use of MicroSol/Microfix or coat of 'Future' polish to try to eliminate air under the decals but I have not mastered it yet.

Thanks.

Mike

Thanks for your feedback, Mike.

I have used the kit decals, sprayed a Gloss Cote (Alclad) and applied some setting solution (Revell Decal Soft).

However, there is some silvering of the decals, depending on the viewing angle, as evident here:

a1b1b492-9cfa-499f-9506-398f79312d17.jpg

This machine was flown by Luigi Gorrini, an Italian World War II fighter pilot.

He was credited with 19 (24 according to some sources) enemy planes shot down plus 9 damaged.

Gorrini was the top scoring C.205 pilot. With the Veltro he shot down 14 enemy planes and damaged six more.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luigi_Gorrini

Edited by Roman Schilhart
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Roman Schilhart said:

Thanks for your feedback, Mike.

I have used the kit decals, sprayed a Gloss Cote (Alclad) and applied some setting solution (Revell Decal Soft).

However, there is some silvering of the decals, depending on the viewing angle, as evident here:

a1b1b492-9cfa-499f-9506-398f79312d17.jpg

This machine was flown by Luigi Gorrini, an Italian World War II fighter pilot.

He was credited with 19 (24 according to some sources) enemy planes shot down plus 9 damaged.

Gorrini was the top scoring C.205 pilot. With the Veltro he shot down 14 enemy planes and damaged six more.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luigi_Gorrini

Roma,

Thanks for that (and interesting history). I suppose the technique is to get as smooth a surface as possible for the decals to go on and soften them to follow the contours as closely as possible. I imagine that the Italeri kit had recessed panel lines and no raised rivets but I have been building the old Airfix kits which have plenty of raised panel lines and plenty of rivets. Hopefully, practice will make perfect!

Regards, Mike.

• Like 1

HI My Friend Roman!!!

Another impressive addition to the nice models you have built!!!

All the build look wonderful...the paint, the build and decals....really a nice build, BUT the most interesting thing that liked a lot to me is the way you made the weathering process on this one, soft and exactly done for my taste, and speaking about the whole build, can say SIMPLY IMPRESSIVE!!!

Seem this AMI collection will be growing and for sure will have the great pleasure to watch many more kits dealing with this air arm with that high quality gracing the pages of this respectable and well received site.

Thank you very much for sharing!!!

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

16 hours ago, Luis Alfonso said:

HI My Friend Roman!!!

Another impressive addition to the nice models you have built!!!

All the build look wonderful...the paint, the build and decals....really a nice build, BUT the most interesting thing that liked a lot to me is the way you made the weathering process on this one, soft and exactly done for my taste, and speaking about the whole build, can say SIMPLY IMPRESSIVE!!!

Seem this AMI collection will be growing and for sure will have the great pleasure to watch many more kits dealing with this air arm with that high quality gracing the pages of this respectable and well received site.

Thank you very much for sharing!!!

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

Thank you very much, Luis.

You have been of great help in order to find reference material - thanks for pointing out that "R.J. Caruana. The Avatione Nazionale Repubblicana. Italian Air Forces 1943-1945" book.

Greetings from Vienna!

• Like 1

Excellent work, Mate!

Your borrowed spinner/spiral decal worked out very well.

That sort of thing scares me - but you got is to lay down with no trouble by the look of it.

It this Italeri kit also available as a Tamiya release?  I may have heard something to that effect somewhere.

:goodjob:

1 hour ago, kapam said:

It this Italeri kit also available as a Tamiya release?  I may have heard something to that effect somewhere.

:goodjob:

I think the Tamiya boxed Italeri kit is a MC202, but I'm not enough of an expert to know how different that is from a MC205 as to my eye they look quite similar...different engine perhaps?

5 hours ago, F1xena said:

I think the Tamiya boxed Italeri kit is a MC202, but I'm not enough of an expert to know how different that is from a MC205 as to my eye they look quite similar...different engine perhaps?

C 202 differs from C 205 by engine:

C202 has a Daimler Benz DB601, while the C205 had the more powerful DB605 engine.

Airframe remains the same.

Tamiya reboxed Italeri's C202, you are right.

I saw your beautiful job & immediately thought, oooh, I need one of those, then I thought, hang on, I've got a Supermodel one I think. Same kit isn't it?  Either way yes, I do have a Supermodel one. Not much chance of it ever looking as good as Roman's one though. :)

Steve.

6 hours ago, F1xena said:

Unless every flight sim I've ever played is wrong, on top of a new engine the 205 got two 20mm in the wings that the 202 didn't have. 

Edit: Forgot to comment on the build! I've never seen that scheme on a 205 before,  very menacing. Great work! 

Edited by Thud4444

On 3/8/2017 at 1:43 AM, Roman Schilhart said:

Thank you very much, Luis.

You have been of great help in order to find reference material - thanks for pointing out that "R.J. Caruana. The Avatione Nazionale Repubblicana. Italian Air Forces 1943-1945" book.

Greetings from Vienna!

As my modeling abilities are not so fine and great as of the my colleagues to fight so well,  I am happy to fly the FAC Plane checking and pointing the targets!!!! :)

Cheers from The Country of Eternal Spring!!!

Luis Alfonso