1/48 - McDD F-4 Phantom II family by Zoukei Mura - F-4E/EJ/EJ-Kai and G released - RF-4B/C/E in the pipe line & F-4E (late) in April-May 2024

Homebee

At the IPMS/USA 2017 National Convention Zoukei Mura confirmed

The Zoukei-Mura team also announced that they are working on the 'long-nosed' Phantoms so we'll be seeing the F-4E, F-4EJ, F-4F, and F-4G in the future. No firm release dates on any of these subjects have been announced yet.

Source: https://www.cybermodeler.com/special/ipms_usa/ipmsusa2017.shtml

V.P.

Matt-Memory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 4

Hopefully on the E/F/G they will provide the option to have the L/E slats retracted, unlike on their recent F-4S kit which only has the option to have them in the extended position, which is totally unrealistic for an 'S' being modelled on the ground, unless you plan to model it pre-take off or undergoing maintenance...

-Dazza

39 minutes ago, Dazza said:

Hopefully on the E/F/G they will provide the option to have the L/E slats retracted, unlike on their recent F-4S kit which only has the option to have them in the extended position, which is totally unrealistic for an 'S' being modelled on the ground, unless you plan to model it pre-take off or undergoing maintenance...

-Dazza

With regards to the German F, 99% of the time they were parked with the flaps down... So personally I'm happy if Z-M follows the same path as on their S.

I also hope Academy will one day release the E/F/G, so that will be the 'flaps up option' :)

G

• Like 2

8 hours ago, guillaume320 said:

With regards to the German F, 99% of the time they were parked with the flaps down... So personally I'm happy if Z-M follows the same path as on their S.

I also hope Academy will one day release the E/F/G, so that will be the 'flaps up option' :)

G

Yes, GAF F-4Fs seem to be the exception in having the L/E slats extended when parked and shut down, other than that it's rare to see them fully extended on a shut down jet. I actually like that Z-M have provided them extended but, they should also have provided the option of fully retracted too, imho, like you say, guess I'll have to wait for Academy's offerings of the S and the gun nosed F-4s for the retracted option! :D

-Dazza

Well the S already provides more options than the J, like extended nose gear and positionable stabs... So there is a trend! Who know's what will happen with the long nosed ones? They might very well provide even more options than was the case so far :)

• 1 month later...

Studies in progress.

Source: http://www.zoukeimura.co.jp/en/sentiment/oyajiblog_096.html

We've been here!!
Wings Over the Rockies Air & Space Museum!!!

Well, what is SWS Development Team doing in front of that museum you may've heard of??

We're here because we'll be able to conduct the best research possible on Long-nose F-4E.
That's the idea.
There are several F-4 in the world that can be researched but we heard that the F-4E displayed here is in the best conditions you could expect.
And what we heard was true.
This F-4E is beautiful, kept and displayed in a stunning way. Zoukei-mura team, hats off!!

This time I'll tell you what the research was like.

There is still time until the release of F-4E and F-4EJ but let's take a step forward and enjoy the essence of the F-4E by looking at our investigation.

And, I would like to thank, from the bottom of my heart, Jennifer-san, David-san and Dave-san from the museum staff for the incredible support they gave this bunch of researchers coming from afar.
And special thanks also to Matthew-san, who's been more than helpful, from the day we applied until the day of our actual research.
Our staff was absolutely impressed by all the new things, visible only on real aircrafts, seen at the museum; thanks to you guys we could make an awesome research,.

Thank you so much.

• img_096b151.jpg
  • img_096b152.jpg
  • img_096b153.jpg
  • img_096b154.jpg
  • img_096b155.jpg
  • img_096b156.jpg
  • ▋Jennifer-san, David-san, thank you!! So, F-4E Real Thing Research is about to start!! Now we're going to wear these white uniforms and canvas shoes to be used during the research, to make sure we don't scratch or stain these precious machines; the excitement starts.

Well, this Air Museum is just beautiful!! It's one of the best I have seen so far, and I feel it in every place of this museum. Here's where you can see the special passion Americans have for aviation.
  • img_096b157.jpg
  • img_096b158.jpg
  • img_096b159.jpg
  • ▋First of all, exterior check. Front, sides, downside, upside, each wing and every curve of the fuselage; it was a struggle against time running out too fast, while we were checking, shooting pictures and measuring. "With those shoes you can ride on" said Dave-san.
    "What!? Really!! Thank youuuu~" was the reaction……Now we can see right in front of our eyes many small parts, skin junctions and other details, things that we've never been able to see so close.
    "This is only for the shape of a long nose!" you would think if you see how many pictures we took and how many measurements we did. Of course, cockpit, front and back seat are kept perfectly. We also noticed a subtle angulation of the access pedal we never noted before.
  • img_096b160.jpg
  • img_096b161.jpg
  • img_096b163.jpg
  • img_096b162.jpg
  • img_096b150.jpg
  • img_096b164.jpg
  • ▋"May I take a look inside the radar radome?" "Sure!!" The fastening plate was immediately unlocked. The staff said they hadn't opened it for a long time. The radar itself had been removed but the radome, that was always an issue, and the shape of the fuselage section became clear for the first time.
    Now we can reproduce precisely the delicate shape of this section with a plastic model.
    We also made an investigation on the muzzle of the Vulcan Gun and its shape. That investigation was perfect as well.
  • img_096b165.jpg
  • img_096b166.jpg
  • img_096b167.jpg
  • img_096b168.jpg
  • img_096b169.jpg
  • img_096b170.jpg
  • img_096b171.jpg
  • img_096b172.jpg
  • img_096b173.jpg
  • ▋Actually this museum, as the name says, is built at 1600 meters above the level of the sea in the Rocky Mountains, so the air is rarified and our sissified team from Japan was out of breath, thirsty and they also had palpitations. At a certain point, if the outer wear wasn't removed sweat and dizziness would have taken over. It was such a hard quest. Up on the right, photo-shooting of the shape of the tip of the arrest hook and the V-latch base of the reception side. This is such a complex structure.
  • img_096b174.jpg
  • img_096b175.jpg
  • img_096b176.jpg
  • img_096b177.jpg
  • img_096b178.jpg
  • img_096b179.jpg
  • img_096b180.jpg
  • img_096b181.jpg
  • img_096b182.jpg
  • ▋Look! Zoukei-mura research team in action with their all-body-down photo-shooting technique! The museum staff prepared this big stand for maintenance with foothold and stepladder. If we could accomplish such a complete research on the F-4E, it's for their merit. On the left, taking pictures at the angulation of the "breaks" (how they rise) of the broken lines passing through the fuselage underside (near the center of the main wings).
    In the picture up in the center, up on the right, measurement of aileron and flaps.
  • ▋Of course, we took this chance for an overall measurement of the front edge slot of the tail (stabilator). Jennifer-san's help was invaluable.
  • img_096b183.jpg
  • img_096b184.jpg
  • img_096b185.jpg
  • ▋Oh, I can't forget this picture.
    Measurement of front and rear width of the front canopy (windshield), the "eye" of the F-4. Every time we look at a real aircraft there is always some tiny scratch. It conceals the hardship of maintenance on the battlefield.
  • ▋In the right picture, lovey-dovey Jennifer-san and David-san.
    Thank you very much for everything you did, from the start to the end.
    So far, just taking pictures was a hard job. Here we were able to do a research where we basically had no trouble at all. It's hard to tell how grateful I am to America and all the generous people living there

V.P.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hoping to see a couple of Japanese guys in white suits crawling all over XT596 at Yeovilton one day...

I can only guess (hope) that Zoukei Mura intend to kit every version of the F-4.  In which case the idea of an SWS F-4K/M is very exciting!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, At Sea said:

I can only guess (hope) that Zoukei Mura intend to kit every version of the F-4.  In which case the idea of an SWS F-4K/M is very exciting!

That's what I've been told, every version including the RR Spey powered versions.

Duncan B

It's fantastic to see Zoukei Mura doing an F-4E Phantom. I have their F-4J and it's a very well detailed model of the F-4J. But the glitch in the rear fuselage keeps it from being absolutely perfect. 

Hoping the Z-M retools a whole new fuselage and corrects the kink in the rear. Either way I'm buying a Z-M F-4E, but I hope it looks like this in the rear.:party:

img_096b169.jpg 

2 hours ago, Blackfordhibby said:

It certainly is a wrong un. They surely wouldn't make that mistake with the kit.....would they??

The Nozzles have been done for the early version kits, so hopefully they will spot this feature.

1 hour ago, martinBK said:

That's the trouble when going in museum to prepare an aircraft kit : the real aircraft is often uncomplete and / or made of wrong parts (ejection seats, engine, cockpits...).

Tamiya 1/32nd F-4's are an example of this, BDR plates on a retired airframe

• 1 year later...

Considering the whole fuselage including the cockpit section is a one piece affair, it wouldn't be of any use in the short nosed kits. Also, I kinda suspect the partial model on display is not even the real new tooling but just a (maybe) 3D printed fuselage piece with the tail from the older kits glued on.

3 hours ago, Creepy Pete said:

I kinda suspect the partial model on display is not even the real new tooling but just a (maybe) 3D printed fuselage piece with the tail from the older kits glued on.

I initially gave myself a rolling-eyes-face-palm when I read this ... but ... the posted picture of the mock up shows a pitot tube on the vert stab leading edge. Of course we all know that in the E model, the pitot tube was relocated to the nose. Creepy conjecture, Pete.

Gene K