1/48 - McDD F-4 Phantom II family by Zoukei Mura - F-4E/EJ/EJ-Kai and G released - RF-4B/C/E in the pipe line & F-4E (late) in April-May 2024

Homebee

23 hours ago, Gene K said:

I initially gave myself a rolling-eyes-face-palm when I read this ... but ... the posted picture of the mock up shows a pitot tube on the vert stab leading edge. Of course we all know that in the E model, the pitot tube was relocated to the nose. Creepy conjecture, Pete.

Gene K

Did not the short nose Phantoms have 2 probes on the fin (I know that RAF ones did) and 1 of these was re-located on the long nose ones to the radome? If so this would still leave 1 probe on the tail.

50 minutes ago, Jabba said:

Did not the short nose Phantoms have 2 probes on the fin (I know that RAF ones did) and 1 of these was re-located on the long nose ones to the radome? If so this would still leave 1 probe on the tail.

Correct - an upper pitot tube and a lower Ram Air Bellows on the short noses;  just the bellows on the long nose. The bellows are part of the artificial trim system for the stabilator.

Looking at the latest pictures, appears  ZM snipped the pitot tube  from the E model tail. 😄

Gene K

Gene, don't worry, Z-M were told about the extraneous pitot on the fin. Sometime on Saturday afternoon (so after the above picture was taken) it was removed, hopefully never to return. :)

As well as the revised rear fuselage, although it's not very visible they've captured that the windscreen is more faired into the fuselage than on the short nosed variants - something missed in most of the other F-4E/F kits where the same canopy is used across all models. Although I doubt it will be done, the icing on the cake would be if they also included the frameless version.

Based on the timing of the first F-4J release if they have the 3D model nearly completed I'd expect the test shots could be shown at the IPMS-USA Nationals which would mean this may be top of my shopping list next November. :pray:

Jonathan

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

At the IPMS USA National 2019 a 3D test print of the model design, not a test shot. 

Source: https://www.facebook.com/groups/detailandscale/permalink/2357283921255973/

67804136-2423222131056938-99513467112364

68249255-2423222194390265-62870132901239 68455083-2423222187723599-60008785917247

68258471-2423222134390271-17924380891220

More: https://www.facebook.com/cybermodeller/photos/pcb.10157180713980250/10157180713935250

67704673-10157180713945250-9031931214029

68711113-10157180713665250-4001878001871

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 8

On 8/9/2019 at 12:40 AM, whiskey said:

I don't recall the TISEO being that large or pronounced. I'm no hands on expert though so I may be wrong.

Note the sign states "The actual product will be different".

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, Nocoolname said:

But it's just the same 3D mockup shown elsewhere. Still no actual plastic to show 🙄

Yes, it's a little disappointing that there's no sign of plastic test shots yet meaning their F-4E is unlikely to be released any time soon. We're probably now looking at about another 6-9 months before the first plastic test shot appears. with an earliest release at Teford 2020. However this 3D printed model is definitely different to those previously posted; this one has the early pre-Midas short gun muzzle, the slatless 'Hard Wing' and an early RWR 'football' on the fin cap.

By showing this new 3D print I wonder if Zoukei Mura have now decided to release an early Vietnam era jet first before the slatted versions. In a way it makes sense, they've so far released their Phantoms in chronological order: Navy F-4J then 'S (followed by two more 'J boxings); the USAF F-4C then the F-4D.  Running the above notice through Google Translate ir indicates there will be seven 'long nose' versions, Logically, based on the real aircraft's evolution, this would be the Hard Wing F-4E first,yhgyt followed by a F-4EJ, the early slatted F-4E (with underbelly strap), late F-4E (no strap), the F-4F then the F-4G and probably ending with the F-4EJ Kai. Hopefully once the first version is out, the others will follow relatively quickly.

Oh well, the Hasegawa ones in the stash will have to tide me over for a bit longer.

Jonathan

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, XV571 said:

Yes, it's a little disappointing that there's no sign of plastic test shots yet meaning their F-4E is unlikely to be released any time soon. We're probably now looking at about another 6-9 months before the first plastic test shot appears. with an earliest release at Teford 2020. However this 3D printed model is definitely different to those previously posted; this one has the early pre-Midas short gun muzzle, the slatless 'Hard Wing' and an early RWR 'football' on the fin cap.

By showing this new 3D print I wonder if Zoukei Mura have now decided to release an early Vietnam era jet first before the slatted versions. In a way it makes sense, they've so far released their Phantoms in chronological order: Navy F-4J then 'S (followed by two more 'J boxings); the USAF F-4C then the F-4D.  Running the above notice through Google Translate ir indicates there will be seven 'long nose' versions, Logically, based on the real aircraft's evolution, this would be the Hard Wing F-4E first,yhgyt followed by a F-4EJ, the early slatted F-4E (with underbelly strap), late F-4E (no strap), the F-4F then the F-4G and probably ending with the F-4EJ Kai. Hopefully once the first version is out, the others will follow relatively quickly.

Oh well, the Hasegawa ones in the stash will have to tide me over for a bit longer.

Jonathan

Given the number of variants suggested its frustrating that they don't provide multiple options in the box in the way that other manufacturers have done. Or failing that, if they really want to wring every coin out of the series then at least try and aim for as many common parts as possible thereby reducing the time needed to just the 'supplementary' parts for each variant so that each kit could be trotted out all the sooner. With the number of variants involved I'll be in my frail dotage by the time they get round to releasing a 'G' if they stick to their somewhat pedestrian pace and I'll likely have died of old age by the time they even 'think' about releasing a K or M :rant:

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, XV571 said:

Jonathan

Yes, me too re. the Hase F-4Es. I hope they start with the earlier/hard wing F-4Es too, save me having to buy another EJ boxing to get a Viet-era F-4E :)

15 hours ago, azzaob said:

Yes, me too re. the Hase F-4Es. I hope they start with the earlier/hard wing F-4Es too, save me having to buy another EJ boxing to get a Viet-era F-4E :)

I'm thinking of using the nose from a Hase F-4G with a ZM F-4S to create a better WW. 

On 10/12/2019 at 12:53 PM, XV571 said:

However this 3D printed model is definitely different to those previously posted ... .

Excellent post, Jonathan!!!!

Gene K

And thanks for the link, Homebee ... as usual.

Edited by Gene K

ZM kits are nice to build, I've built their Phantoms too, but it is a matter of design philosophy and the company still has a long way to be another Tamiya (which even thought BDR plates on a certain aircraft applied to all others). 

On the other hand, no matter how indispensible, taking and being limited to photographs as research and measurement tools compared to what today's technology offers is a bit rudimentary. If you are a company like ZM and trying to produce a remarkable kit that sells at a certain price level, you should at least try some laser measurement tools etc to get the most accurate dimensions and sections. So many efforts and money put in, and you still come up with some shape issues like the rear section stuff etc ! 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, RicardoD said:

ZM kits are nice to build, I've built their Phantoms too, but it is a matter of design philosophy and the company still has a long way to be another Tamiya (which even thought BDR plates on a certain aircraft applied to all others). 

On the other hand, no matter how indispensible, taking and being limited to photographs as research and measurement tools compared to what today's technology offers is a bit rudimentary. If you are a company like ZM and trying to produce a remarkable kit that sells at a certain price level, you should at least try some laser measurement tools etc to get the most accurate dimensions and sections. So many efforts and money put in, and you still come up with some shape issues like the rear section stuff etc ! 

Agree!

• 4 weeks later...

Source: https://www.facebook.com/volksusascale/posts/2377389309189347

Here’s another prototype for everyone.
The much long awaited F-4E is just a 3D mock up right now but within the next few months it will transform into a full fledged plastic model!

We can’t wait to show everyone once it’s ready.

74458474-2377382765856668-27921300168994

76658272-2377383982523213-12386217014832µµ$

V.P.

• Like 3