1/48 - McDD F-4 Phantom II family by Zoukei Mura - F-4E/EJ/EJ-Kai and G released - RF-4B/C/E in the pipe line & F-4E (late) in April-May 2024

Homebee

V nice. As much as I love Phantoms, the G’s don’t tempt me enough due to the available schemes. Now the F’s with the myriad of schemes and especially NORM 81, are another story. Fingers crossed they will be next ;)  

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Source: https://www.facebook.com/volksusascale/posts/pfbid028YLNZsa1uYyPU5C4mQvxSszZrCTpEFsjpLkYMrrcMPK8L7RiUcpGQsDmF4SbCWJol

【[PRE-ORDER] 1/48 F-4G PHANTOM II WILD WEASEL V】

New F-4 coming through!

The latest entry in our 1/48 F-4 kit line up is the F-4G Wild Weasel V.

The “G” that is well known by many fans for its strength of demonstrating power on the suppression of enemy air defenses will soon be added to your collection!

▼Pre-Orders Start Saturday May 28th:

https://volksusastore.com/webstores/scale/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=13416

282026326-433213438807417-80192068711320

4518992231013-a.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 4

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - McDD F-4E (early & late), EJ/EJ-Kai, F/F ICE and G Phantom II by Zoukei Mura - F-4EJ/EJ-Kai/E released - F-4G release October-November 2022
On 5/21/2022 at 3:25 PM, hopkp said:

ZM makes us wait ages for everything!

Is your stash that empty? 😉

At least ZM delivers, and not only in homeopatía

Cdosis...

Happy to wait a bit :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, exdraken said:

Is your stash that empty? 😉

At least ZM delivers, and not only in homeopatía

Cdosis...

Happy to wait a bit :)

Well, I guess I could always try building the two Hasegawa ones that have been in the stash for about 30 years.....does that answer your question? :) (I think I'm beginning to see the problem here.....I probably need professional help at this stage!)

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

• 3 months later...

Released in Japan - ref. SWS 14- McDD F-4G Phantom II

Source: https://www.facebook.com/groups/215551215532252/posts/1547578892329471

This morning I indulged in a spot of retail therapy… Available in model stores in Japan from 27/8 (today). So new the sprues are still warm.

They are selling metal u/c and weighted tyres as separate options. I bought the tyres but not the metal legs. I built the ZKM F-4D and don’t think they’re necessary.

Additional after looking at the instruction sheet: they have changed the intake design from their earlier F-4s to what I call the “Hasegawa method” where the splitter plates are separate from the intake inner wall - makes painting a bit easier. See pic.

301909562-10228988893937820-704613629331

301714267-10228989099422957-132877373237

index-img-SWS4814.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 4

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - McDD F-4E (early & late), EJ/EJ-Kai, F/F ICE and G Phantom II by Zoukei Mura - E/EJ/EJ-Kai and G released
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Filler said:

I’ve just read in the Meng F-4G thread that the ZM kit is wrong because of the canopy. How bad is it?

Read the ARC thread - storm in a teacup.

Issues raised by people with borderline OCD who have forgotten what fun is.

Regards,

Marc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Filler said:

I’ve just read in the Meng F-4G thread that the ZM kit is wrong because of the canopy. How bad is it?

If all you make are 1/48 Z-M Phantoms you probably will not notice. If F-4s are not one of your favourites you won't care. 

Trouble is, I see it and so can't "unsee" it.  Fixing clear parts is beyond my modelling ability.

Tony 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Sorry for being an bottom there - do me a favour Tony; I've built the Academy B (or J), the Hasegawa E and am about to build the Tamiya B.

What should I be looking for - as I understand it it's a missing microscopically sized bulge - is that correct?

Thanks,

Marc.

1 hour ago, MarcV said:

Sorry for being an bottom there - do me a favour Tony; I've built the Academy B (or J), the Hasegawa E and am about to build the Tamiya B.

What should I be looking for - as I understand it it's a missing microscopically sized bulge - is that correct?

Thanks,

Marc.

Sort of, but I can live without the bulge in the fuselage as it's mostly hidden by the vari-ramps etc. The issue for me is the resultant almost parallel-sided canopy hoods (which should be noticeably wider at the rear of the front hood and wider at the front of the rear hood). It also seems to throw off the windshield width a tiny bit. 

If you go to Hypersonic's website and look at the canopy hood detail sets you can see the difference more clearly between Hasegawa, Academy & Z-M by comparing the resin insert bits. Whether it's worth worrying about is purely subjective. I am hoping the Meng F-4G announcement isn't a practical joke — which, of course, is entirely possible!

Tony 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, tony.t said:

If all you make are 1/48 Z-M Phantoms you probably will not notice. If F-4s are not one of your favourites you won't care. 

Trouble is, I see it and so can't "unsee" it.  Fixing clear parts is beyond my modelling ability.

Unfortunately, to 'fix' the Z-M kit you need to radically modify the whole of the cockpit area of the model. Much more than just the canopy parts.  Real F-4 Phantoms has a noticeable 'bulge' at the rear cockpit that is missing in all F-4 Phantom kits in history - until Tamiya 1/48 F-4B appears.  Tamiya missed this shape (along with many other very serious problems) in their 1990s era 1/32 F-4C, F-4E, F-4EJ kits, but they did do their 'homework' when design of the new 1/48 F-4B happened.  

When the canopy is posed 'open' on the Z-M kit the difference is hardly noticeable.  And I am a very huge fan of the Phantom.  My Phantom library consists of more than 100 books, and I have been studying the Phantom for more decades than I care to divulge!

Best wishes!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Really nice news from MENG.  Hopefully this is only the beginning of Postwar obscure jets in 1/48.  Plenty of interesting opportunities for companies like Meng, GWH and Kinetic IMHO.   

It is funny, but every time I go to a model Show or venue, the least important thing I look for is the small "errors" or "accuracy issues" on the model everybody complains about on the forums.  The judges don´t seem to care either... I guess I am not educated or professional enough in this hobby...

• Like 3

I am fascinated by this discussion, can anybody show via drawing and or a photograph, or marked up photograph what is wrong and by how much, in any of the popular scales 1/72, 1/48 or 1/32.

If it is true, and I am not saying that it is not true, that every kit other than the new Tamiya 1/48 kit is incorrect, then to knock the ZM, kit is extremely harsh, unless there option is FAR worse than other kits.

Also just think every Phantom model built to date is then wrong………

on top of all of that we are now putting our hope in MENG to get this detail correct along with all the other details of a Phantom.

I do not visit ARC forums, but would like to see graphical evidence of what to look for, anyone got that available.

I have quite a few books on the Phantom but cannot get where to start looking from words.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Bozothenutter said:

Thb, the model shown in the ad shows the problem, the canopy looks off.

Too narrow/too high (which makes sense, change one, and it makes the other look off)

Ok I kind of get where you are coming from, from the picture above, BUT is it just a picture, but I would far rather some actual dimensions etc being put to this, but perhaps I will dig out my various 1/48 Phantoms, TAMIYA, HASEGAWA, S version of ZM and have a look…..not today though.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Lusitanian said:

Unfortunately, to 'fix' the Z-M kit you need to radically modify the whole of the cockpit area of the model. Much more than just the canopy parts.  Real F-4 Phantoms has a noticeable 'bulge' at the rear cockpit that is missing in all F-4 Phantom kits in history - until Tamiya 1/48 F-4B appears.  Tamiya missed this shape (along with many other very serious problems) in their 1990s era 1/32 F-4C, F-4E, F-4EJ kits, but they did do their 'homework' when design of the new 1/48 F-4B happened.  

When the canopy is posed 'open' on the Z-M kit the difference is hardly noticeable.  And I am a very huge fan of the Phantom.  My Phantom library consists of more than 100 books, and I have been studying the Phantom for more decades than I care to divulge!

Best wishes!

Thank you Lusatanian - I'll be checking the Tamiya kit later.

Had to check where Lusatania was - thought it was a ship.

Marc.

14 hours ago, JFM148 said:

Really nice news from MENG.  Hopefully this is only the beginning of Postwar obscure jets in 1/48.  Plenty of interesting opportunities for companies like Meng, GWH and Kinetic IMHO.   

It is funny, but every time I go to a model Show or venue, the least important thing I look for is the small "errors" or "accuracy issues" on the model everybody complains about on the forums.  The judges don´t seem to care either... I guess I am not educated or professional enough in this hobby...

I share your sentiment - every model has faults. In my opinion (can of worms time) most modern kits, at least that I build, are really pretty good. Most of the time I can't be bothered with kits that are badly engineered and take laods of time to fix so I usually try to stick to Tamiya, recent Kinetic and Airfix and some Trumpeter / Hobby Boss. Tamiya F14 for example is amazing (although the cockpit is spartan - went for some AM there).

I can't resist the occasional KH becaause of the subjects they do (the F101C was swearing removed of work) but I go in with a different mind set,

1 hour ago, MarcV said:

I share your sentiment - every model has faults. In my opinion (can of worms time) most modern kits, at least that I build, are really pretty good. Most of the time I can't be bothered with kits that are badly engineered and take laods of time to fix so I usually try to stick to Tamiya, recent Kinetic and Airfix and some Trumpeter / Hobby Boss. Tamiya F14 for example is amazing (although the cockpit is spartan - went for some AM there).

I can't resist the occasional KH becaause of the subjects they do (the F101C was a shiteload of work) but I go in with a different mind set,

Sorry, off topic I know.

Marc.

On 18/09/2022 at 00:30, MarcV said:

I can't resist the occasional KH becaause of the subjects they do (the F101C was swearing removed of work) but I go in with a different mind set,

Sorry, off topic I know.

Marc.

Well, in my personal case I am used to fix and improve models to my personal satisfaction based on real aircraft reference since I like dark and obscure subjects.  That is why I have a big reference library.  I don´t care (and enjoy) some real modelling.  I even find it convenient for my wallet.   Let's hope Tamiya will release an F-4G.... For now ZM kit is awesome...

Side effect from the Meng 1/48th F-4G kit announcement (link) I suppose.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/volksusascale/posts/pfbid0hQmzmHc9As66nYqhXRa5RFMneZrrsm3d2ieiU1b2AGRFu3zrtG89TyHrV51dBMz5l

Volks USA 

【[PRE-ORDER] 1/48 F-4G PHANTOM II WILD WEASEL V】

An exciting update! We're closing pre-orders early and the kits will be shipping out earlier than expected too! The new pre-order end date is the 30th of September and kits will begin shipping late September/early October. https://volksusastore.com/webstores/scale/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=13416

307270443-528556169273143-90095169824500

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Temma-san from Japan has written volumes about Phantom shapes and in this article you can see a diredt comparison between Tamiya and ZM, as he converts the Tamiya F-4B into an F-4C, using components from the ZM kit.

http://soyuyo.main.jp/f4c/f4c-1.html

Just from the width of the side console instrument panels you can see the difference in fiselage shape.

There are many comparison studies across his website, a bit difficult to navigate and find, but there's a ton there and I do think it's valid as it's backed up by both photos and McD drawings.

I do agree that the issue becomes a lot less apparent with the canopies open. With the canopies shut the sills form a very peculiar S-shape, in both horizontal and lateral orientation. The lateral S is missing from the ZM kit.

A couple of pics fur firther illustration (many thanks to Andreas Beck for the first pic):

DSC_3824a.jpg

F-4N.jpg

J

• 2 weeks later...