1/48 - McDD F-4 Phantom II family by Zoukei Mura - F-4E/EJ/EJ-Kai and G released - RF-4B/C/E in the pipe line & F-4E (late) in April-May 2024

Homebee

I'm seriously looking at acquiring one of the new E kits (IDF/AF baby!) but am also looking at some after-market seats for it. Does anyone know if the Quickboost Mk.7 seats fit the Z-M kits?

Thanks!

Edited by MichaelSatin

13 hours ago, MichaelSatin said:

I'm seriously looking at acquiring one of the new E kits (IDF/AF baby!) but am also looking at some after-market seats for it. Does anyone know if the Quickboost Mk.7 seats fit the Z-M kits?

Thanks!

I'm using a set of the Aerobonus USN Crew/Ejection Seat combo in my latest Z-M F-4 build and they fit without any problem. I have measured the Aerobonus seat against the Quickboost Mk.7H seats I have for another build and they are almost identical in width/height so they should fit. You may need to trim down the rails that are moulded into the Z-M cockpit floor (that cannot be seen once you install the seats anyway) to give you a bit more clearance but that should be about all.

1 hour ago, Tiger331 said:

I'm using a set of the Aerobonus USN Crew/Ejection Seat combo in my latest Z-M F-4 build and they fit without any problem. I have measured the Aerobonus seat against the Quickboost Mk.7H seats I have for another build and they are almost identical in width/height so they should fit. You may need to trim down the rails that are moulded into the Z-M cockpit floor (that cannot be seen once you install the seats anyway) to give you a bit more clearance but that should be about all.

I'm building a C at the moment for the Vietnam GB and have used an Aires seat (Quickboost, but without the moulded in belts). It fits fine, as Tiger has said, the lumps on bumps on the cockpit floor need removing. 

Well, I just went to place my order and, lo and behold, the Quickboost seats were suddenly out of stock. So I went for the Wolfpack set. Here's hoping!

Michael

Apologies if this has already been answered and I've missed it (I did look...). 

Does anyone know if this initial boxing of the Phabulous Phantom F-4E contains both types of gun muzzle? That is the short version as depicted correctly for the kit subject, but also the extended version which I understand was fitted from  Block 48 onward and retrofitted to earlier blocks as part of the gun modifications that came to be known as "Midas 4".  A bit out of my normal area of interest, but I had in mind to do an early USAFE machine or possibly an Israeli Kurnass at the time of the Yom Kippur war in Oct 1973 (period photos show both types in use). I thought perhaps as these sprues will be the basis for later versions, the optional parts might be in there as standard.

Rich 

Edited by RichG

51 minutes ago, RichG said:

Does anyone know if this initial boxing of the Phabulous Phantom F-4E contains both types of gun muzzle?

Rich,

"On another forum" (two actually), it's stated that both muzzles are included.

Gene K

• Like 2

I kind of looked over the sprue pictures online for this very reason but couldn't see the long one, but I could easily have missed it. I ordered the kit from Sprue Brothers here in the States this morning and they're saying it's supposed to release here today. So with any luck I'll actually get it early next week. I'll let you know what I find.

Michael

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, MichaelSatin said:

I kind of looked over the sprue pictures online for this very reason but couldn't see the long one, but I could easily have missed it. I ordered the kit from Sprue Brothers here in the States this morning and they're saying it's supposed to release here today. So with any luck I'll actually get it early next week. I'll let you know what I find.

Michael

Cheers Michael 

That's fantastic - thank you.

Rich

1 hour ago, MichaelSatin said:

I'll let you know what I find.

Do you think what you'll find will differ from what's already been confirmed?

Included in the early F-4E kit: Part M28 is the single piece short nozzle, while parts 33 and 34 are the 2 pieces that make up the long nozzle.

Gene K

Edited by Gene K

10 minutes ago, Gene K said:

Included in the early F-4E kit: Part M28 is the single piece short nozzle, while parts 33 and 34 are the 2 pieces that make up the long nozzle.

Gene K

Gene,

I was not aware that had been confirmed, but it sure it good to know!

Michael

• Like 1

On 9/22/2020 at 4:47 PM, exdraken said:

Thanks Rick.... 

So Block 42, 46 and 47 were hard wing originally?! Or all above?

I need an excuse to buy one... you see! ;)

According to the World Airpower book, they started fitting E's with slats at the factory at block 48.

Michael

Edited by MichaelSatin
  • Like 1

On 9/25/2020 at 11:20 AM, Gene K said:

Gene K

Well, I just received my ZM F-4E and Gene is quite right, M33 and 34 are indeed the two parts that make up the long gun muzzle, though the instructions don't mention it and in fact the parts map show them "not for use". So it appears that you can make just about any production F-4E up to block 48. A quick comparison between the Wolfpack seats and the kit seats also seems to indicate that the WP set should fit fine, once the cockpit floor is smoothed out a bit. But, as it's a separate piece, that shouldn't be hard (as long as I remember to do it before assembly!)

First impressions (if you don't have one of the earlier kits), this is a thing of beauty. The box is 4 3/8" (11cm) deep and it's FULL of plastic. And the plastic is excellent. If the seats in the kit had belts, I really wouldn't see a need to replace them. This one's going to the top of the "to build" pile!

Michael

Edited by MichaelSatin
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - McDD F-4E (early & late), EJ/EJ-Kai, F/F ICE and G Phantom II by Zoukei Mura - F-4E (early) released - next boxing: F-4EJ

Sources: 

https://www.facebook.com/volksusascale/posts/2653566741571601

https://www.aviationmegastore.com/f4ej-kai-phantom-ii---phantom-forever-2020-jasdf-retirement-markings-11-zoukei-mura-sws48-11-aircraft-scale-modelling/product/?action=prodinfo&art=173788

Here are pictures of our Limited Edition F-4EJ Kai!

Pre-orders open up tonight at midnight(PT).

Celebrating 10 years of SWS!

121672722-2653565611571714-3895692843133

121529411-2653565581571717-2451757975013

121573185-2653565634905045-3837477435693

121588822-2653565694905039-1821358017006

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 4

Source: https://www.zoukeimura.co.jp/en/sentiment/oyajiblog_108.html

Hello my SWS brothers!

Thanks to all of your support, we have made it to this landmark year marking the 10th anniversary since the creation of Zoukei-Mura’s plastic scale model kit series, the Super Wing Series (SWS).

Starting with the 1/32 Shinden and spanning 34 kit subjects including this upcoming 1/48 F-4EJ Kai kit, it seems like it has been such a long time since SWS began… and yet also as if it was only yesterday. These past ten years have been a truly happy and blessed time for us.
Above all else, it was the heartfelt support for Zoukei-Mura SWS kits from scale model fans worldwide that made the development of this series possible. On behalf of everyone at Zoukei-Mura, I would like to thank you all deeply from the bottom of our hearts.
So, created in commemoration of the 10th Anniversary of SWS, our special edition “1/48 F-4EJ Kai PHANTOM II Phantom Forever 2020” will be exclusively available to individual customers and SWS Friend Shops (retailers) who pre-order in advance. Everyone who pre-orders will enjoy FOUR special bonuses and receive their kit earlier than the regular version of the kit. Shipments out from Japan are planned to begin from January 8, 2021. As one of the four special bonuses for this kit, it will be sold at a special price. (Pricing will vary for VOLKS USA and Friend Shops due to currency rates and international shipping and handling fees.)
You are welcome to pre-order as many as you like, there is no limit on kits ordered per customer!

We eagerly await your pre-orders, fellow Phantom lovers!!

(Please note that the delivery schedule for pre-orders placed with VOLKS USA and SWS Friend Shops will be different due to international shipping times. Please ask the store where you pre-order for their schedule. Of course, all of the special-edition kits will include the same bonuses as the kits ordered directly from VOLKS in Japan.)

We will continue celebrating the 10th Anniversary of SWS until the end of 2021. We are planning more commemorate kit releases for this special anniversary. Please look forward to it!!

img_108b002.jpg

▋The exclusive pin badge designs feature “The Spook,” the cartoon ghost emblematic of the F-4 Phantom II and as beloved as the aircraft itself. Check out the colors symbolizing the commemorative flights in 2020 (blue) and 2019 (yellow)!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In celebration of the 10th Anniversary of SWS FOUR exclusive bonuses for 1/48 F-4EJ Kai “Phantom Forever 2020” pre-orders!

Bonus #1

Exclusive Phantom Forever 2020 Box Art (F-4EJ Kai JASDF Retirement Markings)!!
(We plan to release the regular version of the F-4EJ Kai in Spring 2021 with different box art. Keep an eye on our official Zoukei-Mura website for more updates!)

Bonus #2

Early delivery for pre-orders, starting on January 8, 2021!
(This is the delivery schedule for Japan only. Please note that due to international shipping, the delivery schedule for VOLKS USA and overseas SWS Friend Shops will be later. Please ask the store where you placed your pre-order for their schedule.)

Bonus #3

Exclusive pin badge included for free with every F-4EJ Kai “Phantom Forever 2020” kit!
(There are three possible designs, each related to the F-4EJ Kai. One will be included at random in each kit.)

Bonus #4

Sold at a special price of 6,800 JPY (before tax) to celebrate the 10th Anniversary of SWS!
(The regular version of the kit will be sold for 7,500 JPY.)
*This is the official retail price at the Japanese VOLKS Online Store and VOLKS stores in Japan. Pricing will vary for VOLKS USA and Friend Shops due to currency rates and international shipping and handling fees.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This Special Edition kit has a limited production, so please pre-order as soon as possible to ensure that you can receive this kit.
We will stop accepting pre-orders when we have reached the maximum supply limit.

Check out the evolution from F-4E to F-4EJ Kai!!

img_108b003_en.jpg?ver02

Includes all-new runner specially designed for F-4EJ Kai based on examination of the actual aircraft! Check out the optional selection parts included in the common runners with the popular SWS F-4E Early kit (now available for purchase)!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We have carefully replicated the F-4EJ Kai’s characteristics in great detail.
Let’s compare it with our popular F-4E Early kit!!

All the careful attention to detail and passion for research that one would expect from SWS!!
Our tireless research, including examination of actual aircraft, allowed us to recreate every unique detail of the F-4EJ Kai distinguishing it from the SWS F-4E Early kit (which I am sure you have already obtained for your esteemed collection), the F-4E Late Production type to be released later, and all of the other F-4E variations.
Even the passionate Phantom Phanatics like yourself are sure to be satisfied with the resulting kit!

In addition, by correctly selecting the right optional parts from the shared runners with the F-4E Early kit, you can replicate even the smallest differences between the F-4E Early and the F-4EJ Kai, including those that have been overlooked up until now.
I believe that it’s these small things that bring the most joy and excitement, the kind that can only be appreciated by scale modelers.

I am so honored and pleased to be able to bring such a splendid kit to you all in celebration of the 10th Anniversary of SWS.

From F-4E Early to F-4EJ Kai

1. Details of the “P” Sprue, Exclusive to F-4EJ Kai

img_108b_runner-p_en.jpg

Fin tip:

• Changed to J/APR-6 antennas (JASDF-exclusive antennas).
  • Fuselage spine antenna:
  • Changed from UHF antenna to V/UHF antenna.
  • Center of the rear seat:
  • Added lower monitor.
  • Tailcone popup door:
  • Added tail light.
  • *The addition of the J/APR-6 antennas to the “1. Fin Tip” caused a blind spot for the tail light at the tip of the tail. Therefore an additional tail light was added to the tailcone popup door.
  • Changed lever for rear seat right-side console.
  • Undercarriage door antenna:
  • Added V/UHF antenna.
  • Added instruments to rear seat side console.
  • Central canopy divider:
  • Changed shape of seat separation panel.
  • Left wing tip:
  • Changed to J/APR-6 antenna (JASDF-exclusive antenna).
  • Front seat right-side console:
  • Changed instrument layout, including switches.
  • Rear seat left-side console:
  • Right wing tip:
  • Changed to J/APR-6 antenna (JASDF-exclusive antenna).
  • Front seat left-side console:
  • Rear seat right-side console:
  • Changed instrument layout, including switches. Attached “5. lever for rear seat right-side console”.
  • Nose radome:
  • Added a total of seven lightning strips (static dischargers).
  • Front seat instrument panel:
  • Rear seat instrument panel:
  • Changed instrument layout, including switches, added “3. center of the rear seat lower monitor”.
  • Anti-glare shield:
  • The F-4EJ Kai uses a Kaiser HUD instead of the F-4EJ’s optical sight,. Therefore the base for “20. Combiner (parts 6 and 7 on the clear L sprue)” is shown in the molding.

2. Other optional parts that can be chosen from common runners with the F-4E Early kit

• Rear view mirror for rear seat (on C sprue): In general, was only one mirror in the center of the leading edge of the rear seat canopy in the F-4E Early, but in the F-4EJ Kai this is changed to be one on each side of the canopy partition for a total of two mirrors.
    *This varies depending on the aircraft.

img_108b_runner-c.jpg

• HUD combiner (parts 6 and 7 on the clear L sprue): Changed to be two glass projection parts.

img_108b_runner-l.jpg

• Drop tanks (parts 13 and 15 on the armament B sprue): Changed to be Hi-G tanks.

img_108b_runner-b.jpg

• Stabilator reinforcements (parts 24 to 27 on R sprue): Added reinforcement panels on upper and lower surfaces for both sides.

img_108b_runner-r.jpg

• Vulcan cannon fairing (parts 23 and 24 on M sprue): Changed to be long-tipped flash suppressors.

img_108b_runner-m.jpg

• External Armament

- As a JASDF aircraft, as a general rule the AIM-7/-9 and other weapons are not equipped to the wings or undercarriage.

- Changed launcher type.

- Chaff dispenser (R sprue) is optional to add or omit.

img_108b_runner-r_select_en.jpg

V.P.

• Like 1

Tried to do the pre order this morning but the form you need to fill in just isn’t geared for English language and the European market, ended up giving in.🤷‍♂️

3 minutes ago, Muzz said:

Tried to do the pre order this morning but the form you need to fill in just isn’t geared for English language and the European market, ended up giving in.🤷‍♂️

Already available in USA on my side of the Atlantic Ocean without any problems !

🙂

SharkOwl

Reference :

https://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/zkmk29829.htm

25 minutes ago, Muzz said:

It didn't work for me on my phone, but did on the desktop. I then ordered a kit, no problem

On 10/17/2020 at 9:17 AM, SharkOwl said:

Already available in USA on my side of the Atlantic Ocean without any problems !

🙂

SharkOwl

Reference :

https://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/zkmk29829.htm

I think they're referring to the F-4EJ Kai special edition specifically.

Michael

Can anyone clarify something, the images of the new release F-4EJ Kai seem to suggest the kit has a hard wing but the real aircraft has slatted wings or have I got this wrong?

14 minutes ago, Muzz said:

Can anyone clarify something, the images of the new release F-4EJ Kai seem to suggest the kit has a hard wing but the real aircraft has slatted wings or have I got this wrong?

Neither the F-4EJ nor the F-4EJ Kai has a slatted wing. They both have the same 'hard wing' that was fitted to the early F-4E. Hope that helps!

Edited by hopkp
  • Like 2