Quickboost QB48-094 Hasegawa Spitfire MK IX fuel tank and Airfix MK I kit included

Tom Zeller

One of the builds I have planned is a conversion of the 1/48 Hasegawa Spitfire MK IX to a PR. MK. XI using the Quickboost parts. In my reading I noted that the PR. MK. XI often used a 90 gal. slipper tank which Quickboost does sell for the Hasegawa MK IX. In getting other builds ready I noticed my Airfix Spitfire MK. I kit with all the wonderful extra parts in the newer red box has a 90 gal. slipper tank. Will this fit the Hasegawa or do I really need the Quickboost slipper tank because of fuselage width? TIA

if you have both kits then just try fitting it?     The Hasegawa  IX fuselage is too short and too slim, but not narrow.  

Also, I don't recall PR.XI having slipper tanks,  I just stuck 'Spitfire PR.XI'  into an image search and no images turned up of them fitted.

The best recipe for a PR.XI has come up here before,  and there are arguments for using an Airfix PR XIX as a basis, or cross kitting, to make use of the 'bowser' wing,  which is basically the same for the XI and XIX, as opposed to modifying a fighter wing.

Here's a thread on just this, which if nothing else has all the great colour PR.XI pics from @Etiennedup  flickr stream,   but has plenty of other information as well.

HTH

Thanks for answering so quickly, Troy. I would try fitting them if they were both here but the Hasagawa is enroute still. Doing some ordering and I thought I'd get a jump on it. I have seen the XI wearing a slipper and it was in my history reading that I even came across this. It's an important mark to my project because, at least according to my reading, the PR XI was the most produced PR. The reading stated that the PR. XI was an adapted MK. IX and that is indeed what Quickboost calls for in their kit. I appreciate the link. I'll look through it. I guess I'll just order the slipper tank later if I need it. No biggie. Just thought someone might've already done the Quickboost conversion and would know.

- Tom

9 hours ago, Tom Zeller said:

Thanks for answering so quickly, Troy. I would try fitting them if they were both here but the Hasagawa is enroute still. Doing some ordering and I thought I'd get a jump on it. I have seen the XI wearing a slipper and it was in my history reading that I even came across this. It's an important mark to my project because, at least according to my reading, the PR XI was the most produced PR. The reading stated that the PR. XI was an adapted MK. IX and that is indeed what Quickboost calls for in their kit. I appreciate the link. I'll look through it. I guess I'll just order the slipper tank later if I need it. No biggie. Just thought someone might've already done the Quickboost conversion and would know.

- Tom

Hi Tom

For a 1/48th IX nowadays, go straight to Eduard unless the Hase is really really cheap On it's own it look fine, next to another Spitfire it can look off.

The quickboost set is reasonably old, as it specifies the Hase as the base kit

The PR.XI is not really derived from the IX, more like an upgrade of the PR.IV,   as it has the bowser wing and camera fit,   in as much as the IX is an upgraded Vc, hence the suggestiiobn to use the only kit with the bowser wing and camera parts,  the Airfix XIX.

if you are going to do a family of Spitfires, I recommend this for the Merlin PR versions, particularly good on the XI, lots of detail.

https://www.amazon.com/Spitfires-Classic-Warbirds-Malcolm-2007-03-01/dp/B01HCA1UV8

the first book on PR Spitfires in this series is unobtainable,  but can found online as PDF.   

HTH

T

• Like 1

On 8/1/2017 at 5:43 AM, Troy Smith said:

Hi Tom

For a 1/48th IX nowadays, go straight to Eduard unless the Hase is really really cheap On it's own it look fine, next to another Spitfire it can look off.

The quickboost set is reasonably old, as it specifies the Hase as the base kit

The PR.XI is not really derived from the IX, more like an upgrade of the PR.IV,   as it has the bowser wing and camera fit,   in as much as the IX is an upgraded Vc, hence the suggestiiobn to use the only kit with the bowser wing and camera parts,  the Airfix XIX.

if you are going to do a family of Spitfires, I recommend this for the Merlin PR versions, particularly good on the XI, lots of detail.

https://www.amazon.com/Spitfires-Classic-Warbirds-Malcolm-2007-03-01/dp/B01HCA1UV8

the first book on PR Spitfires in this series is unobtainable,  but can found online as PDF.   

HTH

T

Yep, I quite agree re: Eduard for MK. IX Spits. I do have all three of theirs in my plans. However, as I said in my post, the Quickboost PR MK. XI coversion kit requires the Hasewaga. Thanks very much for your reply and the link. I appreciate all your help.

- Tom

On 8/1/2017 at 9:58 AM, 303sqn said:

dd61cdf1-46a9-45ae-9781-59b2211a472e.jpg

Mk XI with slipper tank, Burma Oct 1945

Thanks, 303! I think that's the very picture I saw in my research. Good to know I'm not completely bonkers.

- Tom

11 minutes ago, Tom Zeller said:

However, as I said in my post, the Quickboost PR MK. XI coversion kit requires the Hasewaga

With 'some modelling skill'  it should work for any IX kit,  as AFAIK the Hase kit only real fault is the undersized rear fuselage,  the  rest is correct.

The fuselage problem does not come into the  conversion,   which is some wing blanking plates,  camera parts, fuel pump bulges,  scribing template and  deeper undercowling.

QB48146.JPG?t=

QB48192.jpg?t=

The Hasegawa will suit my purposes for creating a PR MK. XI. Sure I could probably horseshoe the kit to fit but unless I have some compelling reason I'd just as soon do what the kit recommends. I did say that I'm buying Eduard's three MK. IX kits which will be sufficiant to show that progression of Spitfire development. The PR MK. XI is a part of a side project showing the development of photo recon Spits. I don't need an Eduard kit for that. The whole endeavour is far from cheap so I will find savings where I can. I got the Hasewaga quite inexpensively. It would be inadvisable to throw it away and buy an Eduard at this point. Thanks again for your suggestions.

Edited by Tom Zeller

4 hours ago, Tom Zeller said:

Yep, I quite agree re: Eduard for MK. IX Spits. I do have all three of theirs in my plans. However, as I said in my post, the Quickboost PR MK. XI coversion kit requires the Hasewaga. Thanks very much for your reply and the link. I appreciate all your help.

- Tom

Thanks, 303! I think that's the very picture I saw in my research. Good to know I'm not completely bonkers.

- Tom

And the other one in the picture doesn't have the slipper tank, which suggests that any given plane might or might not have had it mounted at any particular time.