Merlin Thomas-Morse Scout 1/72nd scale. From a pigs ear to a cotton(not silk)purse!

Ok...here it is.  Finished as far as I can tell and it wasn't a physical problem so much as an emotional one.  I became so discouraged somewhere along the line that I almost shelved the project.  Perhaps it was the heat here in Greece...Then the wind shifted and the weather improved and I buckled down and got on with it.  I must say that once I had it painted and assembled (sans markings) I was more enthused and then when the stars-and-meatballs went on, I breathed a sigh of relief!  It really does look like a Tommy!

Paint is Valejo Russian Uniform Green, Flat Red and the nose is Humbrol Yellow from the can.  Decals are scavenged from the excellent Kaydet sheet by Xtradecal.  Rigging is a mix of stretched sprue (rear bits) and nylon thread (flying wires).  Bit and bobs from the spares box.  This is a fictional craft as far as I can tell.  Not exactly a "what if?"

35487736923_6f4889db04_z_d.jpg

35460058104_bfdfe4ed83_z_d.jpg

35460063874_9661304e72_z_d.jpg

36293565355_0ffc072063_z_d.jpg

I refer to this kit as the "Montgomery Clift"...from the right profile it looks like a star.   Now on to something that is moulded well, fits together properly and, well...you know what I mean.

I am very happy with this build and I think it may have been the last Merlin Tommy out there.  I hope I did it justice.  

--John

Edited by John D.C. Masters
stuff
  • Like 17

I'm glad you persevered.  An interesting subject, it looks great, well done.

Modelling should be fun, and what you have shown us here is a supreme example of the love of modelling.

μπράβο

On to the next!  I have a nice little resin set of Venezuelan upgrades for the Dewoitine D510 that I might begin...or maybe the old Hasagawa Kawanishi Type 94-1 floatplane with some new decals...

• 2 weeks later...