The Gathering Of Moths, Old Warden, 30th July 2017.

After several rainy days in a row, the sun thankfully put in an appearance for today's event at The Shuttleworth Collection: The Gathering Of Moths. This is a free event and well worth coming to if vintage aeroplanes are your thing.

I took a few pictures while I was there. Ok, I tell a lie: I took over 700 pictures while I was there! The lighting conditions were constantly changing, and proved to be a bit of a challenge at times. Anyway, I have opened a temporary account at Flickr (I can't stand Flickr, but it'll do until I find something better) to host a small selection of the photos. Here's a few of them:

DSC_1110

DSC_1156

DSC_1169

DSC_1265

DSC_0972

DSC_0930

DSC_0849

DSC_1301

DSC_1327

DSC_1456

DSC_1471

(Well, that was an effort! I see that Flickr is just as "user friendly" as it was ten years ago!)

The Paddock was opened to the great unwashed for ninety minutes, which I think is mainly a brilliant idea. Mainly, because it's bloomin' difficult to get a good pic while the world and his wife are blissfully unaware of everyone and everything around them, displaying all the situational awareness of a bat wearing ear muffs. My patience was tried many times today, but it was well worth it in the end and I have to thank the Collection for the opportunity to get close to so many lovely, old aeroplanes.

Once I have found a suitable replacement for P****bucket, I will gradually get round to re-uploading all my old pictures, plus all the new ones I've taken since, which is probably around a thousand! I'm thinking about giving Smugmug a go, as they seem to offer exactly what I'm after. I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has experience of it, or thoughts on alternatives. I tried Village Photos, but it was just awful. Nothing worked properly and it took over a month for support to get back to me! That's deleted now.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 4

Thanks for taking the trouble to post those lovely pictures. 

I was thinking of going myself, but wasn't sure if it would be worth it, what with the lousy weather and all. Looks like it was a good day.

Those Hornet moths are gorgeous  :wub:

Thanks for the kind comments. Here's a few more pics, with all five visiting Hornet Moths represented.

DSC_0803

DSC_0789

DSC_0844

DSC_0959

DSC_0983

DSC_1222

DSC_1227

DSC_1410

DSC_1107

What isn't especially apparent is that G-AELO was beautifully turned out. I ended up taking quite a few pics of her, including a number of detail shots. I thought it may come in useful, what with the forthcoming Dekno kit. G-ADNE is one of the kit's marking options.

I'd not seen 'ADKL before and I wish that I'd been able to get some better shots from the "sunny side", but sadly there was a fuel bowser spoiling the view. Maybe next year?

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 2

...and a few more!

DSC_1125DSC_1353

DSC_1364

DSC_1334

DSC_1240

DSC_1249

DSC_1206

DSC_1193

DSC_1194

DSC_1050

DSC_1064

Of course, I'm happy to donate as many pics as may be required to the Walkaround section of BM, once I've been through and sorted the wheat from the chaff.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 3

Love them all. There are a couple Tigers and Hornets I had not seen before.

All gorgeous aeroplanes.  And gorgeous photos!

(A bit of a nit pick, but its a shame G-AMTV has the correct proper style font for the fuselage reggie , but on the wings a font that I dislike and wrong for the aeroplane. Sorry I know its up to the owners but ....)

• Like 1

The last time I saw 'MTV was at a Moth Club charity fly-in at Old Warden, several years ago. I took photos, but seem to have lost them somewhere.  There was very little flying going on and later in the day, 'MTV had a bit of an accident. I wasn't there to see it as I'd left by then, but I wonder if her wing lettering was redone then?

If I ever do find those photos, it will be interesting to compare the wing lettering.

On 30/07/2017 at 9:53 PM, lasermonkey said:

I took a few pictures while I was there

Thanks for posting your lovely shots of these aircraft Mark. Some time in early July I watched 4 or 5 of these aircraft leisurely travel in formation eastwards over the beach at Lyme Regis and disappear in the haze towards Portland.

It was such an unexpectedly evocative sight and sound that it made you realise what is meant by the phrase 'transported back in time'....

Some great shots there sir.

Tony