Sepecat Jaguar GR1 double build Revell/Airfix 1/48

16 hours ago, pipthepilot said:

I know this is a silly way to remember but port & left have fewer letters than starboard & right respectively. 

I'm pretty sure that's what I said....lol (except I added red and green too)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Devilfish said:

I'm pretty sure that's what I said....lol (except I added red and green too)

I only noticed after I had posted that you had the same method. Made me smile, as I will now be able to easily remember the colours too. 😉

• Like 1

Port - Left - Fork

or

Pass the Port to the Left.

Either work for me, incidentally the red light for the port side and green for stbd came from the need to see ship's aspect at night and apply the collision regulations when steam ships arrived, crossing from the left stand on, crossing from the right give way.   Sailing ship's have another set of regs revolving around who is windward and is on the port or stbd tack.  

Apparently traffic lights copied Naval convention.  

That may be rubbish of course...

But impresses Cadets. 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Good evening my friends,

it's been a while, but Today I finally spent some time modelling.

Some time ago I had abandoned this project in favor of my Ark Royal multiple build and after more than one year I thought it was time to get things moving on this one. I wasn't ready to finish the wheel bays,as  I'll have to look again at all my documentation before I can do some work in this aarea. I found some Pistons i had scratch built, but can't remember what they're for, thus I decided to go for something easier: the tail.

MlruCfn.jpg

This is where I started from...

39w5L7L.jpg

lsKHSpb.jpg

...and these are the additions I did Today. Not much , but...better than nothing!!!

Ciao

Massimo

• Like 8

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

These Christmas Holidays I finally found some time for modelling and among theseveral abandoned projects I chose the Jaguars. As it’s been some time since I last worked on thisproject, I decided to start something new: the wings.

The kit offering is made of three sections: top main section and bottom lower halves.

p6vwEts.jpg

b9tXKH2.jpg

I don’t like flat wings, I much prefer representing flaps, ailerons and slats out so I started by cutting them off along the panel lines…

offmbQX.jpg

…but when you put the parts together…they don’t match that well…

ftL2FxO.jpg

…never mind, I’ll glue the different components first and I’ll deal with the right shapes later!

Owf111j.jpg

SfnVPTN.jpg

QEphIUU.jpg

B9kFo6T.jpg

To get the right shapes, some styrene has to be added.  I also have a set of resin flaps, but Ithink I won’t use them.

svEeNcA.jpg

9esrmbW.jpg

ZGFUSt0.jpg

07zgUM7.jpg

Once the gluehad dried, some filing and sanding was needed to shape things.

8BDOvYB.jpg

v5k1PWb.jpg

G1sb9Jq.jpg

BrtvM97.jpg

wqS3847.jpg

Once the flaps’ shape was correct, it was time to add the hinges for the extending mechanism. I used a strip of 0,5mm thick styrene, drilled,cut , shaped and glued to the flaps’ top.

s3ETaCT.jpg

CYHYAHv.jpg

h6VW7J1.jpg

XSAKXpq.jpg

Thiswasalittle time consuming, but I got there.

uqHUHUt.jpg

Q5cfvt4.jpg

BQa7nOW.jpg

I also glued two styrene strips to the front of the wings and filed them down to get the right shape for the slats’ housings and the fins atthe centerof the wings’ trailing edge.

CL84oxP.jpg

0AcP6XX.jpg

A little extension for the slats was needed too, thus very thin strips of styrene were glued at their trailing edge.

gb1BOVB.jpg

PHNnhKb.jpg

lpFkXTN.jpg

All the parts are slowly taking shape.

PoZirfj.jpg

After some filing and sanding the hinges are reduced to their dimension.

3sUkilI.jpg

UMhhy55.jpg

Small wing profiles were added to the front of the flaps. These pics are real s…..ugar.Betterones will follow.

J17e0nl.jpg

9El0D1b.jpg

KsJ8UTS.jpg

Finally I deleted some of the wings’ panel lines with the help of CA glue

oLIyy1Y.jpg

After sanding the wings are now ready for rescribing.

5kEJ9xc.jpg

That’s it for now. Thanks for watching!

Ciao

Massimo

• Like 20

Hi mates,

a small update about the wings.

First of all some better pics of the flaps.

szgOAuo.jpg

VUYtcuN.jpg

AS0WuJ9.jpg

Yesterday I decided to deal with the Revell kit first, as I want to depict it during take off, which means the flaps will have to be just partially out, as shown in the picture below (copyright M. Vaeremans)

Cm4zZtg.jpg

Not sure about the precise angle… any better info about this from the well informed will be welcomed!

For this reason I had to file here and there to reduce the flaps’ thickness and mach their  housings at the trailing edge of the wings.

OBWYDW8.jpg

O8VirSL.jpg

gwgIq21.jpg

4pB9dbt.jpg

qGXsgr7.jpg

Once happy with the flaps’ fit, last night I started working on the slats’s by filing the hinges’ housings on the wings’ front edge

ZeTLQbP.jpg

9cOEnPs.jpg

I then glued some styrene strips to the bottom of the slats to replicate the hinges.

uHL06Ei.jpg

I used the wings’ housings as a template toposition them correctly. As for the slats, I made them for both kits.

q2joMZ7.jpg

DUOmo7X.jpg

LzEmLoY.jpg

This morning, once they were dry, I filed them and sanded them to match with the wings.

lmGMezJ.jpg

Y8MVmrD.jpg

bbMoCMj.jpg

Now all the wings’ moving parts are nearly there.

Jrru2j2.jpg

g4x6vsY.jpg

VhLru2X.jpg

This is how they look dry fitted to the kit.

dJB1eI6.jpg

UQHDTsy.jpg

ODBXKp4.jpg

Some pictures asthe one here below, (copyright T.Woof) show sometimes on take-offs the airbrakes at the wings’ top were slightly lifted.

Maybe  @Freitag can tell me if this was normal or it was only happening on pull-ups…. anyway I’m giving it a thought….

H1ggWuZ.jpg

That’s it for now. Thanks for watching!

Ciao

Massimo

• Like 13

3 hours ago, Massimo said:

Some pictures asthe one here below, (copyright T.Woof) show sometimes on take-offs the airbrakes at the wings’ top were slightly lifted.

Maybe  @Freitag can tell me if this was normal or it was only happening on pull-ups…. anyway I’m giving it a thought….

H1ggWuZ.jpg

That’s the port wing spoiler that is somewhat raised Massimo.

Roll control in the Jag is a mixture of differential tailplane and asymmetric wing spoiler (spoiler deploys only on the down-going wing) the extent of spoiler deployment (and tailplane movement) is proportionate to the degree of control column displacement.

That looks like an air show take off in a clean Jag; could be that the aircraft is just starting to roll to the left.  I can’t see any differential tailplane - so I guess the spoiler deploys before the tailplane begins to move (I can’t remember - I only drove them........).

Interestingly - If you look closely at the other take off photo you posted - a Jag with a combat load,  you can see that the starboard spoiler is very slightly raised.

3 hours ago, Massimo said:

Yesterday I decided to deal with the Revell kit first, as I want to depict it during take off, which means the flaps will have to be just partially out, as shown in the picture below (copyright M. Vaeremans)

Cm4zZtg.jpg

It’s unlikely the pilot is intending to roll to the right during this take off; so he’s probably just flicked the control column momentarily very slightly to the right, maybe to make a slight correction/keep the aircraft level, and/or maybe without really noticing he’s done it (some pilots are notorious stick 'stirrers').  There’s no visible differential tailplane.

If you’re depicting a take off, Massimo it would be correct to leave the spoilers flush with the wing - unless you want to deliberately model an aircraft starting a turn - but then you’ll need to think about the tailplane too.  If you wanted to you could model one of the spoilers very slightly displaced as in the above photo.  But then you’ll end up having to explain why........(But at least now you know ;))

2 hours ago, Massimo said:

Not sure about the precise angle… any better info about this from the well informed will be welcomed!

IIRC take off flap is 20 degrees.  That’s 20 degrees for the inboard flap sections.  The outboard flap sections (as you can see in the photos) are always at less of an angle - but I don’t know what angle the outboard flaps are at when the inboard ones are at 20 degrees (we only used to think in terms of one (the inboard) flap angle - too difficult for muppet pilots to do otherwise....) .  I know that the inboard flap travel was 0 to 42 degrees and the outboard was 0 to 25 degrees so it may well be that on take off the outboard ones were at about 12.5 degrees.  But that’s (logical) speculation.

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 10

5 hours ago, Fritag said:

Interestingly - If you look closely at the other take off photo you posted - a Jag with a combat load,  you can see that the starboard spoiler is very slightly raised.

If you’re depicting a take off, Massimo it would be correct to leave the spoilers flush with the wing - unless you want to deliberately model an aircraft starting a turn - but then you’ll need to think about the tailplane too.  If you wanted to you could model one of the spoilers very slightly displaced as in the above photo. 

Thanks Freitag!

This is exactly the type of info I was looking for!!!

I think I understand the spoilers' behaviour is related to the tailplanes too.

I want to represent an aircraft taking off as below (copyright C. Lofting), but slightly angled, starting a turn to starboard (starboard wing slightly lower than port one).

l0X93w7.jpg

If I raise slightly the port spoiler as in the picture, should the port tailplane's front edge ( see arrow ) be lower than the starboard one? 

And this configutation will let the aircraft rotate to port or starboard?

Edited by Massimo

1 hour ago, Massimo said:

If I raise slightly the port spoiler as in the picture, should the port tailplane's front edge ( see arrow ) be lower than the starboard one? 

And this configutation will let the aircraft rotate to port or starboard?

Port. 👍

Chris.

• Thanks 1

On 1/4/2020 at 5:07 PM, Fritag said:

maybe to make a slight correction/keep the aircraft level, and/or maybe without really noticing he’s done it (some pilots are notorious stick 'stirrers')

Further thought has reminded me that I should also have added that it could also be the Auto Stab system working without pilot input.

As @stringbag says; that configuration would be for a roll to the left.

If your want to depict an aircraft starting a turn to the right, then you want the right spoiler slightly raised (max was c.45 degrees) and the right tailplane leading edge lower than the left tailplane leading edge.  But don’t over do it.  The tailplane leading edge moves only a max of 6 degrees (had to look that up - I don’t have that sort of memory!) above or below the neutral position at max deflection.  Photo’s will be your friends as to how much deflection to show on the spoiler/tail plane but it won’t be anywhere near full deflection.

Just for interest; roll control by differential tailplane was gradually phased out at increasing air speed and at low level cruise speed of 450kts roll control was by spoiler only.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Yesterday I concentrated on rescribing most panel lines. For the most complex shapes I did some templates of 0,5 styrene and this worked well.

7f3RejY.jpg

eaxVBsY.jpg

DB90Feg.jpg

Now the wings are nearly there. Thanks to Stringbag and Freitag Igot the answers to my questions about the spoilers and tailplanes angle and thus I decided to cut the spoiler off the starboard wing.

vEqbTeF.jpg

FfL7bbu.jpg

This is the angle I’d like to depict.

0aRhKyF.jpg

QYJBJTq.jpg

Dry fit of the wings’ moving parts to see what they look like. As suggested byFreitag, I 'won't overdo the angles, but just a little bit to make things more dynamic.

14tqUdu.jpg

zC6lfio.jpg

amRCalN.jpg

OfkS68P.jpg

Just one more question :

This kit will depict oneofthe aircrfts in Desert Storm colours.

I haven't found any pictures of a walk around with these paint scheme.

I imagine the wings were painted desert pink everywhere, even their flaps retracting systems. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks in advance!

Ciao

Massimo

Edited by Massimo
  • Like 8