New to priming

Bertiee

Hello,

I've made a few models and I've never primed anything. Not intentionally, I'm just inexperienced and wasn't aware it was something you should do. I was going to grab some spray paint to prime my models, but should I be priming everything? So by that I mean little details such as undercarriage components on an aircraft. Also can anyone recommend any (fairly inexpensive) primer? I've seen some people say that it doesn't really matter what you use as it's more about technique, but if I'm going to be buying some I might as well get something recommended!

Thanks

You could do worse than use Halfords spraycans. Choice of grey, white, red or the 'Filler Primer' in yellow that covers small imperfections.

Some plastics need a primer, in which case their plastic primer is useful.

I use it where I need to, but often do not bother with it. If large components have 'flow marks' in them, it's wise to prime, otherwise those marks can show through the colour coat.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Having tried various primers, Grey Halfords plastic primer is one of the better ones. The White primer from halfords isn't great, i find it's too powerful.

I've just started using wilkos grey and white plastic primer and these are great, for £3.95 for 400ml.

The hycote plastic primer range is also great, if you have a stockist near you.

The simoniz plastic primer isn't great, i found it went on really smooth, but it wouldn't eat into the plastic so when masked off the masking tape would.pull the paint off.

There are two reasons to prime; To show up areas of the kit that still need work ie seamline inconsistencies, etc. And number two reason being you are using a weak paint that doesn't grip very well to plastic eg Vallejo acrylic.

Since enamel grips incredibly well, you won't need it for adhesion. 

So, any old enamel through an airbrush will be perfect. Humbrol 64 is one of my usual primers, or Humbrol 147 which is a very light grey. I have more control, can spray with accuracy on smaller parts without needing a different setup for rattlecans, and I save money. Too easy.

For acrylic lovers, A nice light grey (or wharever) Revell Aqua sprayed on is perfect for primer. Excellent adhesion (for an acrylic) and cheap. tamiya Acrylic is also ok, but while it grips fairly well, it isn't as strong as Aqua. I would say Aqua or model master Acryl, but I don't think Acryl is available there. Both of these brands are incredibly hardy and can take masking with ease once given a day to cure.

Unless the rattlecan is laquer based ie Tamiya primer from a rattlecan, there is no tougher primers out there than sprayed enamel paint. And even the acrylics mentioned above are tough enough. No need for special priming paint.

Edited by sapperastro