A Colour Conundrum

Stein Meum

Hi again!

In an effort to make a sizeable dent in my stash of kits before they come to put me in a home for the infirm, I've started on a few large scale kits of the Mosquito. Hong Kong Models 1/32 B.Mk.IV, Tamiya 1/32 Mk.VI and 1/24 Airfix Mk.VI.

Colour call-outs for interior items vary.

Airfix calls for a satin dark green seatback cushion for the pilot and seat for the navigator. The pilot's seat cushion a mid-brown colour approaching tan, the two other producers calls for a satin dark green. Airfix calls for a dark green (30) for the navigator's seat back.

Airfix calls for Matt Black pilot armrests, the 2 other producers call for satin dark green.

The crew oxygen bottles are Khaki in Airfix, Buff in Tamiya. Not present in the HKM kit.

Airfix and HKM has Silver rudder pedals, Tamiya Cockpit Interior Grey Green.

The leather cover around the base of the control stick: Airfix a dark greyish green (98), Tamiya Black Green, HKM Black.

Drift sight base: Airfix Khaki, Tamiya Khaki, HKM N/A.

The electrical control panels on the right side of the cockpit: Airfix calls for colour 21 for the electrical conduits, Tamiya Flat Yellow. Humbrol 21 is definitely not yellow.

The internal tail wheel cover should be painted Aluminium according to Airfix, Interior Grey Green according to Tamiya and HKM.

Airfix wants Silver rocker covers and superchargers, the others go for various blacks.

Airfix and HKM go for entirely Interior Grey Green for the wheel wells, Tamiya for entirely Silver ones.

There are many other variations, especially regarding engine components like tubing, etc. but I can sort that out by my self.

My knowledge of the Mosquito is somewhat lacking in areas. I know they were produced at Hatfield, Leavesden and Chester (Hawarden). Can that be the reason for the colour variations?

Generally the structure of the cockpits would be grey-green (Humbrol 78 or your chosen alternative).  Electrical, electro-optical and/or electronic equipment and instruments were generally housed in black (usually something akin to Humbrol 85) boxes or casings.  Cushioning and padding could, and did, come in a variety of colours; brown, very dark brown, dark green (yes, somewhere near the oft-derided Humbrol 30 or Humbrol 91.  Rudder pedals were metal and, as such, would have been painted as per the remainder of the cockpit, but you can bet your boots that repeated use of them would soon remove some of that paint leaving bare (silver) metal exposed

The kit manufacturers' problem is that, unless they can grain access to a genuine unrestored aircraft/tank/ship/car/whatever their only references, if they exist, are period colour photographs (minefield), participants' memories (dangerouser minefield) or restored examples (go read the B-17 interior colours thread on here for an insight).

R-R Merlins are as variable as the airframes they were installed in.  Period photographs can help but, like you, I've seen 'em in black, aluminium, grey (possibly Meteor tank engines these) and various combinations.j

If you can find photos of your chosen subjects base your work on them; failing that find illustrations of an aircraft with a serial number near your subject's and work from them.  Don't take profiles or artwork as gospel unless there's good documentary evidence to support it.

Good luck!😉

Edited by stever219
  • Like 2