F-15 STGB Chat

PhantomBigStu

39 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Seem to hit a problem, picked a 494sqn subject of the decal sheet, but yet seems can only find photos of it with the blue tail of 492Sqn? Serial is 91-0321 if you can't see. Alsos if it helps I'd like to do a 494sqn one that served over Afghanistan  

36926585331_e0ed025b7b_b.jpg

Stu,

Way,way back in the day #0321 was a Panthers jet...That Astra sheet dates back to 2000/01 timeframe. Back when the Liberty Wing was first converting to the F-15E with brand new jets arriving directly from St.Louis. The Bolars converted first and got all the AF90 tails,the Panthers got AF91 plus one single AF92.

After the Kosovo War most of the AF90 jets returned to the USA for their first PDM cycle at Warner Robins AFB,followed by the AF91 tails.The AF90's were all reassigned to new units at Nellis & Mountain Home..The AF91 jets returned to Lakenheath after overhaul and were spread over both 'E' sqn's joining the brand new factory deliveries of 96/97/98/00/01.

Current 2017 spread

492FS

91/96/97/98

494FS

91/92/00/01.

Very long winded sorry...but yes #0321 was a Panthers jet,any operations its has flown over Afghanistan/Iraq/Libya/Syria its been a 492 Bolars jet.

24629647623_5d168b5bf0_o

Ok so il

14 hours ago, mungo1974 said:

Stu,

Way,way back in the day #0321 was a Panthers jet...That Astra sheet dates back to 2000/01 timeframe. Back when the Liberty Wing was first converting to the F-15E with brand new jets arriving directly from St.Louis. The Bolars converted first and got all the AF90 tails,the Panthers got AF91 plus one single AF92.

After the Kosovo War most of the AF90 jets returned to the USA for their first PDM cycle at Warner Robins AFB,followed by the AF91 tails.The AF90's were all reassigned to new units at Nellis & Mountain Home..The AF91 jets returned to Lakenheath after overhaul and were spread over both 'E' sqn's joining the brand new factory deliveries of 96/97/98/00/01.

Current 2017 spread

492FS

91/96/97/98

494FS

91/92/00/01.

Very long winded sorry...but yes #0321 was a Panthers jet,any operations its has flown over Afghanistan/Iraq/Libya/Syria its been a 492 Bolars jet.

Found this though the full serial isn't viseble and I think I don't have the targeting pod.  Had picked a louadout from 2010 onwards but that ones slightly earlier. Might just have to go for a 492 example and find a photo to use

http://www.f-15e.info/joomla/en/operators/1090-494th-panthers

edit narrowed down the serial for that a/c, could only be 1 of 5, and the partial last serial with the left edge of the number visble meant it had to be only 00-3000, so I will check see if I can do that one

edit 2, seems I can't do that one so I shall instead do the 494's flagship

100305-F-0571C-360.JPG

Edited by PhantomBigStu

What colour would the Flare dispenser thingies be - I see pics with Red on them (is this depicting live, or exercise?)

Am building a live load in flight on both a C and E so any suggestions appreciated !

Also the various vents/grills - have done silverish will do some dry brushing of maybe iron?

Unfortunately I have simply not had the time to enter this STGB but I have added another F-15 to the stash while I'm out in Vancouver. Picked up a 1:48 GWH F-15C yesterday. It looks like a lovely kit. I'll definitely be looking back to this STGB when I get round to building it along with my F-15E. Maybe being a madman like Tim and build them both at the same time. 

So many great builds going on here. Keep it up guys.

11 hours ago, Sofusthecat said:

Hi there

Is there a simple recipe for painting the white and black exhaust internal petals for someone who is hamfisted with painting?

Regards

Toby

Not an actual answer but I remember Jamie Haggo showing how to paint the back end of a F-15 in one of the Weathering mags. 

On 14.9.2017 at 20:48, Tim Moff said:

What colour would the Flare dispenser thingies be - I see pics with Red on them (is this depicting live, or exercise?)

Am building a live load in flight on both a C and E so any suggestions appreciated !

Also the various vents/grills - have done silverish will do some dry brushing of maybe iron?

That's an interesting question Tim: I didn't even know that there are exercise flares. I thought the flare dispenser is either covered (in peacetime) or partly/fully loaded with live flares. 

In the "Modern Eagle Guide" I found a photo showing the flare dispenser partly loaded. The loaded flares did not actually had a completely red cover (I mean the outwards facing side of the flare itself). Rather, they had a sort of white face enclosed by a red (rectangular) border. The red rectangle was part of the flare itself.  Since I saw another photo in the net showing a completely red cover/face of the individual flares: maybe the photo in the book shows indeed exercise flares?!

btw: I of course expect you to build a proper flare/chaff dispensor:

http://amurreaver.ru/?p=8

😂

cheers

Holger

• Like 1

18 hours ago, helium said:

That's an interesting question Tim: I didn't even know that there are exercise flares. I thought the flare dispenser is either covered (in peacetime) or partly/fully loaded with live flares. 

In the "Modern Eagle Guide" I found a photo showing the flare dispenser partly loaded. The loaded flares did not actually had a completely red cover (I mean the outwards facing side of the flare itself). Rather, they had a sort of white face enclosed by a red (rectangular) border. The red rectangle was part of the flare itself.  Since I saw another photo in the net showing a completely red cover/face of the individual flares: maybe the photo in the book shows indeed exercise flares?!

btw: I of course expect you to build a proper flare/chaff dispensor:

http://amurreaver.ru/?p=8

😂

cheers

Holger

Thanks - Im not sure I will do PE! Will look at some more references, I reckon the red is a certain type of flare

On 03/09/2017 at 7:32 PM, Shaun said:

Did anyone have any?

@Shaun I have some left off my sheet...Im doing 84-0027 - so which set off the Caracal sheet would you want? PM me the choice and address.....PS you don't have any GBU10s going spare to swap?!:lol: - if not no worries, looking to replace a somehow lost 4th one for my F111F build.

Edited by Tim Moff
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Tim Moff said:

@Shaun I have some left off my sheet...Im doing 84-0027 - so which set off the Caracal sheet would you want? PM me the choice and address.....PS you don't have any GBU10s going spare to swap?!:lol: - if not no worries, looking to replace a somehow lost 4th one for my F111F build.

Hi Tim, that's great...I may have some GBU-10, any particular kit you need them from?

2 hours ago, Shaun said:

Hi Tim, that's great...I may have some GBU-10, any particular kit you need them from?

The 3 I have are from the Revell F15E kit 

Not sure where the 4th went - its MIA!

However, beggars can't be choosers and any GBU10 would help! I missed the finished of the GB as I got deployed, but want to finish the - Libya Raid is the subject, I was home on leave that night and remember the launch, I come from Lakenheath.

Which Stars do you want? theres 84-0019 with 2 x SU25 Kills/stars or 86-0156 with 2 x MiG 29 Kills/Stars. Let me and PM me your address.

9MYx5vU.jpg

mYFnD2w.jpg

e72qoHl.jpg

ogWgWnN.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone got any good pics of a live AIM9X or at least some decent instructions ref the decals?The Academy sets instructions are not great - biggest Q is the decal with the yellow band has some writing to one side and a green/red square with a + and -  to the other. Does not show how it goes on? Over the thin strip on the missile (cable box?) or under it etc?

Any hep appreciated!!

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

10 days left to go, best of luck for those still building, my two or done, had hoped for 3 or more, but the 2nd melted due to my incompetence and couldn; find time for a 4th. Some great builds in the gallery and in progress :) 

Aghhhhhhhhhh.......60 control rods for 4 jet pipes off the sprue and mounted........3hrs......aghhhhhhhhhhh

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Quick thanks to the organisers for running another great GB - and for all the fellow builders help and advice. Some great builds with a bit of variety as well. Looking forward to the Starfighter build!

1 hour ago, Tim Moff said:

Quick thanks to the organisers for running another great GB - and for all the fellow builders help and advice. Some great builds with a bit of variety as well. Looking forward to the Starfighter build!

Echo that, great GB enjoyed it.

• Like 1

A big Thanks to the organisers also from my side, in particular PhantomBigStu!!! 👍😀

I really enjoyed participating here and will certainly do so again!

(Unfortunately, I did not finish in time. But I will continue posting and eventually show the result)

Cheers

Holger

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...