F-15 STGB Chat

PhantomBigStu

1 hour ago, mungo1974 said:

Not sure anyone has done a F-15 Escapac seat,when i built acouple of early block F-15A's and a TF-15A(F-15B) I ended up using IG-2/4 seats same as those fitted to USAF A-7D Corsair's.

That was my thought as well. Now I need to go shopping.;)

Cheers,

Another question. Now about the armament of the Israeli F-15D.What type of sidewinder and Sparrow would they use in the 80's.

I have seen enough pictures of Israeli F-15's, but almost all of them are of a later date.

I think they would fly with full armament?! 4 sparrows, 4 sidewinders and a centre tank.

Cheers,

Forgive my lack of experese which is embarrasing as host, but how do I seperate non MSIP and MSIP II examples from those that are upgraded? I have a load of decals for F15C's in the mod eagle scheme, and a haswgawa kit which is the base F-15C, so want to know what decals are suitable, and which ones I need to buy the academy kit? 

5 hours ago, Arniec said:

Another question. Now about the armament of the Israeli F-15D.What type of sidewinder and Sparrow would they use in the 80's.

I have seen enough pictures of Israeli F-15's, but almost all of them are of a later date.

I think they would fly with full armament?! 4 sparrows, 4 sidewinders and a centre tank.

Cheers,

Given the timeframe AIM-9L Sidewinder and AIM-7F Sparrows.

Or maybe Python 3's on the special canted rails.

And knowing the Israeli's the Eagle would have been fully loaded for combat

3 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Forgive my lack of experese which is embarrasing as host, but how do I seperate non MSIP and MSIP II examples from those that are upgraded? I have a load of decals for F15C's in the mod eagle scheme, and a haswgawa kit which is the base F-15C, so want to know what decals are suitable, and which ones I need to buy the academy kit? 

I think if the aircraft is in the MOD eagle scheme then it has been upgraded under the MSIP programme .

• Like 1

OK...10+ years ago on another site I co-hosted a F-15 GB I started a very basic upgrade list,I'll remove the names of the original posters and just paste the info,most of which is still correct.

Firstly not an upgrade...but its always coming up ..

Bay 5 colours.

F-15A (all) blue/green metallic

F-15C AF 78/79 production blue/green metallic

F-15C AF 80-86 white.

Both Murph & Waco & Dave Whalen have noted before in other threads about the odd exception to the rule.having seen the odd dark grey(gunship grey maybe?) Bay 5...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Upgrades. F-15A/B/C/D

first use of the late style tail boom containing TEWS Antenna,AF 84+ MSIP F-15C/D

first use of the Lau-129 rails late 1991

Removal of the 'stinger' between the engines,1994/95 F-15A/B/C/D (F-15E never fitted with it)

addition of AN/ALQ-135B antennas to nose aft of Radome late 1995.

Wing strengtheners..not sure on this one,i first noticed them around 2000 but they may have been around earlier..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F-15E

Air intakes on side of F-15E CFT's, all F-15E's fitted with the -229E engines ie F-15E 90-0227 to F-15E 01-2004.they are not fitted to any AF 86-89 jets.

GPS Dome,late 2000/early 2001.first added to new build jets F-15E-61-MC i think,then retrofitted to all earlier machines.

late style 'chisled' TEWS antenna also appeared around this time..

Thats about all i can think of off the top of my head...if you know anything i've gotten wrong or missed please feel free to add it..

cheers,

Gary

Finally remember if in doubt..check your reference's!!...many of these mods were done at depot level,so there's always going to be alot of issues with exact timeframes as a certain jet goes in for maintenance

There are some mistakes in there. D models that rolled off the line as MSIP jets (84-0042 and later) had the tail antenna, while tubs that went through the conversion didn't. In addition the C models have gone to the chisel shaped antenna back there, rather than the rounded dome one.

Just to expand on the list you would have to add the following:

Replacement of the Escapac seat with the ACES, not syure on the timeframe probably around 1977.

Chaff/flare dispensers added in the late '80's.

E model stick grip added mid-90's.

Speed brake fairing changed late in the A model production run.

Canopy breakers added to seat around 1990.

Sabre drains removed 94/95.

LAU-128's phased in beginning March 1991.

Most (all?) active duty A models did not have the ICS (jammers) installed, so the black boxes were not in Bay 5, and some units (like the FIS's) didn't have the two small ICS antennas under the nose.

Guard A models had the modified formation light strip installed on the left side of the jet (to make room for HF radio electronics) when they went through MSIP mod.

MSIP A/Bs getting C/D style main wheels early to mid 1990s

• Like 2

8 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Stu,

Which jet and decals do you plan on using?

If you know its tail number and timeframe,you can make a educated guess as to what spec it was.

8 hours ago, mungo1974 said:

Given the timeframe AIM-9L Sidewinder and AIM-7F Sparrows.

Or maybe Python 3's on the special canted rails.

And knowing the Israeli's the Eagle would have been fully loaded for combat

Thanks, I will use these from the hasegawa weapons set.:thumbsup2:

Cheers,

On ‎31‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 2:50 PM, mungo1974 said:

Upgrades. F-15A/B/C/D

... addition of AN/ALQ-135B antennas to nose aft of Radome late 1995...

...Wing strengtheners..not sure on this one,i first noticed them around 2000 but they may have been around earlier...

Just to chime in from Mungo's informative post:

- Some jets of the 58th TFS/33rd TFW had the ALQ-135 upper/lower nose ECM 'pimples' during the 1990-1991 Gulf War. See here.

- Some ANG F-15A/B jets had wing the long rectangular wing plates from the late 1980's. See here.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, LeVi Tophatter said:

Just to chime in from Mungo's informative post:

- Some jets of the 58th TFS/33rd TFW had the ALQ-135 upper/lower nose ECM 'pimples' during the 1990-1991 Gulf War. See here.

- Some ANG F-15A/B jets had wing the long rectangular wing plates from the late 1980's. See here.

Good catches Levi, thanks for adding

For my part: i will be able to really start building this weekend. 

Since I am then have holidays I should make some good progress... (what helps: the wheather here in southern Germany is not inviting one to go out 🤣)

The last week in work before holidays left no time for anyrhing else though...

helium