F-15 STGB Chat

PhantomBigStu

On ‎04‎.‎08‎.‎2017 at 00:54, PhantomBigStu said:

Thanks, was hoping there would be an option in the early blue livery

First of all, thank you mungo for pointing out the Microscale sheet with the early blue livery!

I found it on ebay and could not resist

@PhantomBigStu: Since there seems to be markings for several planes, I could send you markings for one. The only condition: You would have to build it for this Group Build :D What do you think? I would then also enter with an F-15A or F-15B (knowing that it is insane to believe I can finish both planes in time ... :) )

Holger

Edited by helium
  • Like 1

On 7/31/2017 at 11:09 AM, PhantomBigStu said:

Forgive my lack of experese which is embarrasing as host, but how do I seperate non MSIP and MSIP II examples from those that are upgraded? I have a load of decals for F15C's in the mod eagle scheme, and a haswgawa kit which is the base F-15C, so want to know what decals are suitable, and which ones I need to buy the academy kit? 

It's such a bugger that Hasegawa never upgraded their basic F-15C kit. Good for *most* Eagles up to the mid-90s but beyond that, mostly useless without lots of scratch work (there is a JASDF MSIP II kit but it's pricey)

A belated answer to your question is that many of the MSIP II improvements were internal (new radar, AMRAAM compatibility) and the different undernose antennae were gradually incorporated and I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) are not uniform. Rule of thumb is to find a photo of the real thing and see if it's something you can squeeze out of the Hase kit.

Note how despite probably being MSIP II by then, even the Bosnia Eagles still had the old antenna layout. Not sure if the Kosovo ones as well.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:A_53rd_Fighter_Squadron_F-15C_Eagle_aircraft_returns_to_base_after_a_mission_during_Operation_Deny_Flight,_the_enforcement_of_the_United_Nations-sanctioned_no-fly_zone_over_Bosnia_and_Herzegovina_F-3282-SPT-93-000811-XX-0075.jpg

• Like 2

On ‎15‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 11:47 PM, Phantome said:

It's such a bugger that Hasegawa never upgraded their basic F-15C kit. Good for *most* Eagles up to the mid-90s but beyond that, mostly useless without lots of scratch work (there is a JASDF MSIP II kit but it's pricey)

...Rule of thumb is to find a photo of the real thing and see if it's something you can squeeze out of the Hase kit....

Sound advice there Phantome, the blade antenna variations and placements are a right headache.

I used to wonder why Hasegawa never updated their F-15 kits to cater for different versions/upgrades like they did with their F-16's, none of their F-15A/B kits came with F-15A/B wheels to match the decal markings.

That said, you can build a Hasegawa MSIP jet in 1/72 from either their updated F-15E or F-15J MSIP II kit, the new tooled sprue K has all the MSIP bits apart from the LAU-128/A missile launchers.

12 hours ago, LeVi Tophatter said:

Sound advice there Phantome, the blade antenna variations and placements are a right headache.

I used to wonder why Hasegawa never updated their F-15 kits to cater for different versions/upgrades like they did with their F-16's, none of their F-15A/B kits came with F-15A/B wheels to match the decal markings.

That said, you can build a Hasegawa MSIP jet in 1/72 from either their updated F-15E or F-15J MSIP II kit, the new tooled sprue K has all the MSIP bits apart from the LAU-128/A missile launchers.

Yes, you can do it with the F-15J kit but it's quite expensive: good luck getting it for less than £30

You can get the F-15E for cheaper (imported around £20-25) and in theory could use the K sprue for a F-15C, but you'll still need the tailhook... there's only one and it's used in the E

38 minutes ago, Phantome said:

Yes, you can do it with the F-15J kit but it's quite expensive: good luck getting it for less than £30

You can get the F-15E for cheaper (imported around £20-25) and in theory could use the K sprue for a F-15C, but you'll still need the tailhook... there's only one and it's used in the E

Very true, I was thinking more of using the updated F-15E kit as a base for an F-15B/D MSIP I/II. It's odd that Hasegawa haven't capitalised on the popularity of this subject and the tooling they have to release USAF F-15A/B/C/D MSIP I/II and IDF/AF F-15A/B/C/D Baz/Baz Meshopar series of kits, or do what they did with the A-10 and just update the easy to obtain base kit.

BTW, soz for derailing the thread with my mutterings... 

Edited by LeVi Tophatter
Forgot that this threat is actually for chatting...

ok - quick technical question.....intakes.....do they drop for taxi and take of only then go back up in flight....?

I build in-flight but Revell only give an option for 'raised' not 'dipped' intakes.......

Any advice/help appreciated!

9 hours ago, Tim Moff said:

ok - quick technical question.....intakes.....do they drop for taxi and take of only then go back up in flight....?

I build in-flight but Revell only give an option for 'raised' not 'dipped' intakes.......

Yes they 'dip' inflight its all done automactically,can't remember the amount of degrees they dip but it basically a 3 position up/dipped/full down kinda deal..if you look at videos of flying in close formation or air refueling you'll see them in the dipped position. Full down is normally only on the ground(engines running) and take off/landing to get the optimum airflow to the engines depending on the jets attitude/Angle of Attack.

more info here.

http://www.f-15e.info/joomla/technology/engines/100-air-inlets

Edited by mungo1974
link added
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Tim Moff said:

They do droop in flight. There's a photo of an Israeli Eagle on my thread with drooped intakes.

And that's just how I'm building my model.

But, what I want to know is:  Why don't Tornado intakes do the same - they're the same shape????

Edited by theplasticsurgeon
More info
  • Like 1

Does anyone have a link to or an image of either a CR or BT coded USAFE F-15 with and ALQ-131 ECM pod on the centreline pylon? Mid to late 1980's was the timeframe. I had a photo on my old laptop before it self destructed and an hour of googling has come up fruitless.

Many thanks.

Interesting to see that F15C's at Lakenheath are carrying Sniper targeting pods - I suppose they can be used for IFF i the air to air mode?

lEhIsWc.jpg

StPRK01.jpg

Now the Academy Instructions show that Pylons and Tanks, missile Rails should be Dark Gull Gray FS 36231?

Is this a left over from the old scheme?

Just a plain mistake by Academy? Show they just be the MoD Eagle light colour  FS 36251?

Advice appreciated!

ANRAjuH.jpg?1

muiSdbN.jpg?1

On 9/1/2017 at 12:43, Tim Moff said:

Cheers - so I go with FS36251 same as the rest of the lighter colour on the MoD Eagle scheme? @PhantomBigStu

I have the recent Academy F-15C MSIP II boxing and the instructions show the pylons painted in the lighter grey FS36251

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

On 8/25/2017 at 5:56 PM, theplasticsurgeon said:

But, what I want to know is:  Why don't Tornado intakes do the same - they're the same shape????

The F-15 was designed as fighter and the intakes droop to increase the angle of attack to the incoming airflow.

On 02/09/2017 at 21:40, PhantomBigStu said:

Well done to @Phantome for getting not just our first but also second completed build into the gallery, that's usually my job. Was going to post some statistics but totally forgot about it trying to get my E ready for decalling today as well as assembling a mig29. 

Bloomin' heck...people finishing already!

Way behind you guys with mine,my old mum just had to go into hospital for a hip replacement.. Since she lives alone I moved back home for a couple of weeks to help out and keep an eye on her...never thought about taking one or more of my Eagles with me.

Need to pull my finger out.