AK Interactive new acrylic paint sets for WW1 Aircraft, out now!

Duncan B

I see that AK Interactive are releasing acrylic paint sets for WW1 aircraft subjects. 3 sets that I am aware of so far will cover German colours, RFC colours and clear dope/ linen. 

I will be getting some in so will update you with more info as and when I have it. 

Duncan B

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Beardie said:

Wish they were enamels. Unfortunately I don't do acrylics.

'course ya do Beardie, think of Brut, 'splash it ALL over'! :whistle:

:sorry: couldn't resist!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2017 at 1:27 PM, Beardie said:

Wish they were enamels. Unfortunately I don't do acrylics.

Maybe Jamie at Sovereign Hobbies could be persuaded to do them? I'll have a word with him next time I see him.

Duncan B

• Like 1

Now that would be handy :thumbsup: I think I saw some WWI colours when I browsed his site but the big one of course is the German Purple and a variety of blues and reds would be handy to touch up national insignia.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Beardie said:

Now that would be handy :thumbsup: I think I saw some WWI colours when I browsed his site but the big one of course is the German Purple and a variety of blues and reds would be handy to touch up national insignia.

Jamie is a very approachable Gent so maybe you should suggest those colours to him (if he doesn't already have them of course?). He is always looking to expand his range of colours.

Duncan B

• Like 1

On 8/8/2017 at 10:21 AM, johnd said:

Interesting sets...

Does the 'Air Series' refer to the fact they're for aircraft or that they are intended for airbrushes?

John.

Usually refers to them being for aircraft, the previous sets that I have in stock say they are for brush or airbrush and I certainly use them for brush painting details.

Duncan B

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

for those who just can't live without fumes to sniff, Mr. Mertens at Drooling Bulldog seems to have really done his homework, right down to where to source the pigments. the transparency varies according to pigment, which is excellent for overpainted aircraft (even ones without lozenges underneath, like that infamous red triplane). i'm going with these. (Mr. Mertens will mix custom colors on request too, but he's got all the basic pigments already, especially for German kites). not seen his stuff yet but talking to him (on Facebook) convinced me

that said, Colourcoats would likely be an excellent choice, if their WWI colors are up to the standard of their maritime colors. i haven't investigated their WWI colors much because getting them shipped here would be... interesting, at best. but most of you are in the UK so if they've got your color and you can't stand acrylics, they'd be worth a try. 

a lot of people have said good things about Mr Paint, but i dont' know much at all about them.

Got a couple of the sets from the Scale Model shop but somehow missed the doped linen set. Anyway I will give my opinion after trying them, The above Trader also sells them a bit cheaper, but realy what a good do with these and the 1/72 decals from Print Scale:penguin:

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Has anyone tried these paint sets out yet? I’d be interested to know what you think of them and if it is worth my restocking them. 

I’d also like to know if anyone has had any success brush painting them or what brand a beginner could use to brush paint RFC colours. 

Thanks folks

Duncan B

• 2 weeks later...

I have the British and CDL sets on order and destined to be brush painted on a 1/72 Camel.  I'll put something up when I've given them a go.

Andrew

Edited by Andwil
edited to correct typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So the AK paints have arrived.  I have tried the PC10 on a mule, it brushes on very well, nice and smooth with minimal brush marks (nothing that a gentle rub down with micro mesh wont cure), it has taken 3 coats to achieve good colour depth, but I find that that is unusual for modern acrylics - much better than the 4 or 5 coats I need with Lifecolour.  While the paint is thin I expect that airbrushers may need to then a bit more.

Andrew

• Like 1

• 1 month later...