Airfix Westland Lysander (That's a Beezer, Dad.)

Being a newbie on Britmodeller (love it) re-visiting his youth, I’m just really getting going again on enjoying building model kits. With my Dad passing on, 10 years ago now, at some point we were going through 'his side' of the wardrobe and I found a couple of Airfix kits – one started and one untouched.

There was a Westland Lysander, kit no. 02053 (2nd Tool) in the ‘11E’ packaging and a Spitfire Mk IX, kit no. 02081 in the ‘15C’ packaging - looking at the info on the Airfix Tribute Forum (love it), this dates the purchases as 1994 to 2005+.

The Lysander had been started with the engine and propeller assembled and painted (paints, brushes, sanding stick in the box) – the propeller shaft ran very sweetly in the engine boss and rotated even with gentle movement through the air – I think there had been a bit of work done to achieve this. The wings were painted ‘on sprue’ and the pilot was also beautifully painted in RAF blue with yellow Mae West and brown flying helmet.

I used to build Airfix kits when I was a boy (in the 60’s) and when I held a finished item up for inspection, (in the early days it could be unpainted with ‘transfers’ applied or latterly painted in approximate colours), my Dad would always say – ‘That’s a beezer, son!’ Just what a budding 10-year old modeller liked to hear! (What is a beezer? Being a Dundonian, I only know of the kids’ comic of the same name from DC Thomsons).

Well, when I saw this started model, with a beautifully working propeller and a pilot champing at the bit, I just had to finish it, albeit spare time being zero.

Over what must have been a couple of years at least, I put the Lysander together, continuing the night/spy mission version as started by Dad. I found that the camo upper surfaces and black undersurfaces already painted needed another coat and thought I would carry on and have a go at painting the canopy framing free-hand – looked OK until I started taking photographs so lesson learned there. I was however happy with how the wheels/tyres turned out and the neatness of boundaries of the different paint colours in general. The exhaust ring turned out a bit more bronze coloured than I expected.

The decals were quite brittle and one of the tail flashes subsequently peeled off and disappeared – I replaced with a similar item from a Lancaster decal sheet – trimmed. I finished off with a coat of matt cote to hold it all in place. (First time I’ve done that).

Just to go the extra mile, I added an aerial in black thread after looking at a recent ‘Aeroplane’ publication on Lysanders.

Also, I found the time to work on the ‘JE-J’ Spitfire IX and have just finished that, after putting too much cement on the spinner which produced a sink mark, many touch ups of the .303 gun port covers and an attempt to remove the decal silvering with a ‘Future’ equivalent – great experience though and good support through tips from others on 'Britmodellers'.

Did a photo session with some props bought for my son, now discarded in favour of the ever present i-phone, and created a gentle airstream with a hairdryer that sent the Lysander propeller into action -  Lysander just landed and ready to pick up that ‘agent’.

So, these are for you, Dad – I hope they are both beezers!

100_1184

100_1275

100_1276

100_1283100_1258

100_1288

100_1289

100_1290

100_1268

Edited by Ventora3300
Progress
  • Like 29

2 hours ago, TheLurker said:

Like that and, while I'm here, have 10/10 and a gold star for the cunning use of green cloth to represent the landing  field! :)

Many thanks - have a look again and I have finished the post with text and more photos.

Mike

Edited by Ventora3300
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Very nice indeed,I don't think I've ever seen Airfix's kit in the flesh.

Many thanks. I was 'Airfix only' when a boy but had a go at Revell and Frog. Now 'stashed-up' with a much wider range - fantastic knowledge sharing on 'Britmodellers' - cheers to all.

Mike

• Like 1

On ‎28‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 18:23, CedB said:

Nice models Mike, great story :) 

Many thanks. Just started on another also involving 'JE-J' together but with a Do217. Got to keep the momentum going...

• Like 1

On ‎28‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 22:35, Tzulscha said:

It is indeed a 'beezer' lad.

Good on ya. I'm sure yer old dad would be proud!

Many thanks - brings a bit of a lump to the throat. I wish my son would show a bit of inclination for modelling...

Two nice models & a lovely story, I'm sure your dad is smiling down at the results! I have my late dad to blame too for getting me started in this obsession - when I was about 5 he let me 'help' him build an original Airfix Lanc for me - loved that thing hanging from my bedroom ceiling for many years! Wish I still had it....

Good work!

Keith

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

Two nice models & a lovely story, I'm sure your dad is smiling down at the results! I have my late dad to blame too for getting me started in this obsession - when I was about 5 he let me 'help' him build an original Airfix Lanc for me - loved that thing hanging from my bedroom ceiling for many years! Wish I still had it....

Good work!

Keith

Many thanks, Keith. Now that is exactly what is getting me re-started - i.e. 'Wish I still had it....' Talking of Lancasters, my younger sister still tells the story of how she wow'ed her hubby/kids by looking up at an airshow at RAF Leuchars and telling them that the black shape rumbling overhead was a Lancaster - recognised from one I hung from the ceiling at home many years ago!

Happy modelling.

Mike

• Like 2

Next to the Hurricane,the Lizzie is my favourite aircraft.The Lizzie was the first model I was able to do on my own[without my dads help] and every time I see one it reminds of my late father.Well tidy models,thanks for sharing.:clap2:

• Like 2

Welcome on board Sir, and a good re-start to the hobby. I, too, am impressed with your returning skills and the availability of Airfield Green carpetting! Don't thing SWMBO would be impressed if I suggested it for our lounge room.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, celt said:

Next to the Hurricane,the Lizzie is my favourite aircraft.The Lizzie was the first model I was able to do on my own[without my dads help] and every time I see one it reminds of my late father.Well tidy models,thanks for sharing.:clap2:

Many thanks - the memories are great. There is certainly no mistaking the outline of a Lizzie! I fancied moving on to the Frog version to make a comparison - I think that kit has at least one 'Agent' in a long coat.

10 hours ago, Horatio Gruntfuttock said:

Welcome on board Sir, and a good re-start to the hobby. I, too, am impressed with your returning skills and the availability of Airfield Green carpetting! Don't thing SWMBO would be impressed if I suggested it for our lounge room.

Many thanks, much appreciated. My own SWMBO would happily provide an impressive display of heavy flak / light flak /small arms ground fire / search parties with dogs (big ones / big teeth / hungry) to add to the realism. It will be some time before these pilots can carry out daylight missions....

• Like 2

I do love models built as tributes to childhood memories and recalling father/son enjoyment.

Nice job on those.

The Spit' is a throwback (in respect of version and markings) to my beginning days with the hobby.

I also remember building the Airfix Lysander and acting out all sorts of behind-the-lines spy scenarios.

Thanks for bringing back the memories.

:thanks:

5 hours ago, kapam said:

I do love models built as tributes to childhood memories and recalling father/son enjoyment.

Nice job on those.

The Spit' is a throwback (in respect of version and markings) to my beginning days with the hobby.

I also remember building the Airfix Lysander and acting out all sorts of behind-the-lines spy scenarios.

Thanks for bringing back the memories.

:thanks:

No problem, it is good to think back on these and recognise how supportive/patient/tolerant your parents actually were - I can't help thinking it is 'pay back time' when my own 12-year old acts up...

However, I am keeping the theme going on the link below, if it is of interest.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235025057-“achtung-spitfeur”-do217e-2-and-spitfire-ix-overhead-but-in-1969/&tab=comments#comment-2789178

Best of luck.

Mike

16 hours ago, Buzby061 said:

Thanks for posting. My first attempt was helping my dad with the Airfix Ju88 & got the bug from that.

Pete

Thanks, Pete.

I never actually built a Ju88, Airfix or otherwise. However, now got one in the 'collection' so you never know...I've also got two or three of the Frog variety (with a set of spin a prop motors ready) and a Revell 1/32 so I'm a bit spoilt for choice. Have you done a Ju88 since that first one?

Regards,

Mike

• Like 1

On 09/08/2017 at 9:53 AM, Ventora3300 said:

Thanks, Pete.

I never actually built a Ju88, Airfix or otherwise. However, now got one in the 'collection' so you never know...I've also got two or three of the Frog variety (with a set of spin a prop motors ready) and a Revell 1/32 so I'm a bit spoilt for choice. Have you done a Ju88 since that first one?

Regards,

Mike

Mike,

Funnily enough no & that one's long gone. I need to increase the Luftwaffe contingent in my collection as I only have a Bf109E & FW190A (1/48 scale). Got my eyes on the new Airfix Ju87.

Pete 

• Like 1