Airfix Ju87 Stuka

As I am still waiting to get an airbrush and decals for a me109e flown by Helmut Wick (if you have info PLEASE let me know in the comments), I've decided to begin Airfix's new tool Stuka! The kit is an early Battle of Britain scheme, from the 51st Sturzkampfgeschwader. From previous reviews I've seen (and theres not many unfortunately), this is another great kit from Airfix, and having built the older one I must say the kit as a whole is much much better, and will definitely offer several hours of pleasure!

Let me first say that the amount of detail is phenomenal! The pilots seat is offered with seatbelts, so I am going to attempt a more detailed approach to the interior. 

xKJj2eG.jpg 

RUPmb13.jpg

4OrpP9u.jpg

All thats been done for now but I have quite a bit of time ahead of me, stay tuned!

• Like 7

I'll be following along with this as I need to look at doing a non British aircraft sometime soon. Is the seatbelt moulded and if so is it solid to the seat, i.e. are there gaps underneath as it appears?

Edited by James B

1 hour ago, James B said:

I'll be following along with this as I need to look at doing a non British aircraft sometime soon. Is the seatbelt moulded and if so is it solid to the seat, i.e. are there gaps underneath as it appears?

Hi James, I'm happy that my little workshop skills attract some attention! This definitely looks like it will be a great kit, I would recommend it to any modeler. As for the seat belts, unfortunately they are attached to the seat. However, there is a seat provided without seatbelts, so you could also use photo-etch parts to add to the look. 

Cheers,

Yvan

• Like 1

May I suggest that you clean up the parts and remove the sprue stubs from the parts while doing it. It will make your life easier when it comes to assembling your models. Sprue stubs, mould lines and flash are some of the reasons for bad fitting parts.

Jens

5 hours ago, Jens said:

May I suggest that you clean up the parts and remove the sprue stubs from the parts while doing it. It will make your life easier when it comes to assembling your models. Sprue stubs, mould lines and flash are some of the reasons for bad fitting parts.

Jens

Thank you for pointing that out, I just realized that I had forgotten to take them off. As for washing, all sprues have been cleaned in warm soapy water.

Well it seems that with first steps in the model come first mistakes. I realized that the placement of the interior detail on the left fuselage half was reversed, so I had to cut it off and replace it! Besides that Ive finished most of the interior detail, with the exception of the control panel:

9mZnpwN.jpg

The left fuselage half after paintwork, and of course readjustment of the detail

LakFZF4.jpg

Right fuselage half, the lights on the panel at the front were definitely eye-straining, but overall for 1/72 I'm happy with the result 

wNJwosd.jpg

whlB3ZO.jpg

Finally the rest of the cockpit, with "scraped-off" paint where the rear gunner would have been. The seatbelts were also painted with Humbrol 62, with the buckles painted after the latter had dried.

I plan on closing the fuselage halves today, after the control panel has dried. Unfortunately it seems that every single time the decal is overproportioned!! This definitely reduces the quality of application, but there isn't much I can do about that, except maybe cut away the excess with an exacto knife.

Edited by Yvan S

Much has been done since Saturday, fuselage halves and wings have been added, as well as tail elements.

U8AalyX.jpg

D2TaFIo.jpg

Just a seam line at the front that must be filled, but otherwise everything went together well. All the parts are very detailed, and this will for sure show up on the final product.

Now just a few details left to put in before painting starts.

6CwLnIh.jpg

Landing gear, with the lovely addition of "Trumpets of Jericho"!!!

V7j8gL9.jpg

Dive brakes added as well. Don't forget to drill the holes for these and the bombs before joining the wings, no need to ask how this is known...

sfocJSK.jpg

Also a nice new detail is this small window that the pilot used to align his bombing run! Has yet to be painted in interior green. As for now, this model will probably stay sitting for the next month, as my Hataka order is still on the way.

• Like 2