Airfix 1/72 Battle of Britain 75th anniversary gift set part 1

Hi everyone, just thought I would show you all two builds I completed recently. These are the Supermarine Spitfire and the Hawker Hurricane, supplied in Airfix's amazing 75th anniversary of the Battle of Britain. These were absolutely cracking, not too many fit issues except I ran out of filler :crying:, so the fuselage of the Hurricane has a visible gap. The painting was simple, although I used my own paints instead of the ones supplied. The decals were also great. First, the Spitfire, of the 610 squadron:

ZIHx9hD.jpg

The stand that comes with the kit is quite nice, so I decided to do them in flight.

sQRSWgc.jpg 

Zoom-up on the fuselage, quite proud of the paint chipping!

iNTOKb6.jpg

View of the underparts, although I think the weathering was a bit too strong here. After all, planes during the Battle of Britain didn't live long enough to be this dirty. Thoughts in the comments?

Now for the Hurricane, this one from squadron 615:

kRnFFR4.jpg

YXmdEKv.jpg

3MY1hhX.jpg 

A bit disappointed with the machine gun streaks, they could be straighter for sure. Also the line between the fuselage halves is clearly visible on the last pic :rant:. Gotta get some new filler !!! Finally don't mind my very messy workbench.

As for the other two planes, respectively a Bf109e and a Heinkel He111, I need to find some decals for the first (flown by Helmut Wick, can someone help me with this???) and I am waiting to buy an airbrush before painting the second. All in all, it was a fun and simple kit to assemble with, in my opinion a rewarding finished product.

Please leave suggestions in the comments, as I've said before I am still in a learning process, especially for weathering and filling. 

• Like 17

5 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Well you may still be learning but that's a couple of very nice builds,great job!

Thanks so much Steve

• Like 1

17 hours ago, LostCosmonauts said:

Very nice - I've just finished the same Hurricane (but not to the same standard) and have the Heinkel halfway built

How is the Heinkel? It seems to be nice but I dont have the supplies right now...

That's a nice build of two Battle of Britain fighters :thumbsup:.

It's good to see 'in flight' models with pilots.

You're right to be proud of the chipped and worn paint finish on the Spitfire.

:goodjob: 

TonyT

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

That's a nice build of two Battle of Britain fighters :thumbsup:.

It's good to see 'in flight' models with pilots.

You're right to be proud of the chipped and worn paint finish on the Spitfire.

TonyT

Thank you very much!

11 hours ago, kapam said:

Very nice models!

Yes, your paint chipping work, on the Spitfire in particular, looks really effective.

Happy that you guys agree with this! Cheers...

• Like 1