NZ corsairs x3

rob85

So I do have a spitfire epic I should be doing but I have hit a big slump in my mojo!

hopefully three lovely corsairs in the diverse livery of the RNZAF will get me back on track.

i will be doing the tamiya, revel and academy kits so we can have a little comparison along the way.

pics of kits and options to follow!

Rob

• Like 11

Great to see you back fettling plastic Rob :thumbsup:.

There really is something about Corsairs that's very good for the mojo.

NZ Corsairs have some great schemes; the one that's more or less made of two machines is a personal favourite :)

You can go a bit wild with weathering too.

:popcorn: 

Giorgio, where did you get that beer :hmmm: ?

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 2

Three, THREE!, you trying to show the rest of us up? :o  Probably something I should be doing for this build too. If I can organise my life enough, I might well give a Kiwi Corsair a go, till then, I'll just hang about & be nosy over here. :)

Steve.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Giorgio, where did you get that beer :hmmm: ?

Easy, just write "beer" between two semicolons (no spaces) and you get that - :beer: See?

Oh, you mean a real one? Rob's fridge courtesy :):):D

Ciao

• Like 3

On 7/28/2017 at 7:26 AM, rob85 said:

hopefully three lovely corsairs in the diverse livery of the RNZAF will get me back on track.

Rob

19 hours ago, CliffB said:

I'm looking forward to learning about RNZAF Corsair liveries !

Cliff

Just an FYI on RNZAF F4U-1/FG-1 Corsair Schemes "Diversity"

RNZAF Corsairs in the forward theaters were only as diverse as their USMC/USN counterparts. There is a lot of stuff on the Internet telling you, Kiwi Corsairs were

un-maintained/ Roundels were light blue ............ etc etc etc, Don't believe a word of it!!!

RNZAF Corsairs wore exactly what their USMC/USN (land based) did with little difference, except the RNZAF Pacific Roundel (more on that later)

F4U-1A's delivered in USN Three/Four tone, some serving from start to finish in this, some repainted Overall Glossy Sea Blue (GSB) before issue in to Squadrons,

and some who initially wore the tri/four tone scheme were repainted with upper NS Sea Blue or GSB as in these Corsairs in the link below

RNZAF F4U-1A Corsair - Repaint

RNZAF F4U-1A Struggle Buggy

As mentioned above USMC/USN Corsair Repaint

USMC/USN Corsair Repaint

F4U-1D early deliveries in USN Tri/Four Tone, later deliveries in Overall GSB

FG-1 D Overall GSB

Roundels were RNZAF Pacific Roundel - Colour;  Identity Blue (dark blue colour) - the RNZAF Artist Maurice Conly spent  a lot of time in the forward areas

painting pictures of RNZAF aircraft - note the Roundel colours in these links (no light blue in sight)

Conly Paintings

Conly Painting

If Roundels did fade, to the light blue like everyone supposes, you would see the US Star under/showing through long before it got to light blue - note

this Corsair where the Roundel has faded to a "Blue Grey" with star showing through

RNZAF faded Roundel

Markings, as in mission kills etc - I have currently underway two RNZAF Corsairs, one being NZ5350 "Struggle Buggy" as in link above, and NZ5277 as in

these Montex masks - note the "Angry Donald Duck"  - Montex, amongst other decal manufacturers, continue to get markings soooo wrong!!!

Montex RNZAF NZ5277

If you read through Peter Mossong's coments in link below, you can see for yourself, the mission markings shown  after the Yellow/red Bombs, never existed

NZ5277 Mission markings

That's really RNZAF colours and markings in a nutshell

Regards

Alan

• Like 6

Cheers for all the chat and info guys (especially @LDSModeller Some great links) 

please carry on helping yourselves to the beer fridge, you should fine it fully stocked will a great selection of real ales to boot.

i will engage ones backside soon and crack on with so pictures of kits and options etc.

Tony the split personality corsair is one of the options I would like to to, it could be considered an obvious option but then so are the blue spitfires of Malta and I love them! Also as regards corsairs being a mojo builder, I have to agree! I might sound unpopular but I never really had a love for the bird... until i built one ant the start of last year (with the help of cookie) and I just loved it and kind of fell in love with its odd (only an opinion) appearance, and vowed to do more... so here I am. Get these done and then I can blast through whatever's left of the 9 spitfires I was building!

on that note @stevehnz yes I like to build in multiples, and this trio (of good kits out the box) should be a relative walk in the part compared to the 9 spitfires I'm supposed to be building or the trio of metal wing conversions and cannon firing hurricane prototypes I did for the bofb GB... what I lack in quality I make up for with quantity 

cheers all

Rob

• Like 3

I did the Academy kit as a RNZAF version using the decals from Xtradecal these were a bit better than the Ventura decals...

The Academy kit is nice and built up better than the Revell kit...

Have fun...

Plasto..

• Like 1

Should be a good topic, can't go wrong with a Corsair and add the fact they are RNZAF and you have a sure fire winner.

Building from different kits is another clever idea and will show the good (or otherwise) points of each of them.

I fancy a faded and battered Kiwi Corsair myself some time in the future.

• Like 1

On 7/31/2017 at 10:02 AM, rob85 said:

Cheers for all the chat and info guys (especially @LDSModeller Some great links) 

please carry on helping yourselves to the beer fridge, you should fine it fully stocked will a great selection of real ales to boot.

i will engage ones backside soon and crack on with so pictures of kits and options etc.

Tony "the split personality corsair is one of the options I would like to to, it could be considered" an obvious option but then so are the blue spitfires of Malta and I love them! Also as regards corsairs being a mojo builder, I have to agree! I might sound unpopular but I never really had a love for the bird... until i built one ant the start of last year (with the help of cookie) and I just loved it and kind of fell in love with its odd (only an opinion) appearance, and vowed to do more... so here I am. Get these done and then I can blast through whatever's left of the 9 spitfires I was building!

on that note @stevehnz yes I like to build in multiples, and this trio (of good kits out the box) should be a relative walk in the part compared to the 9 spitfires I'm supposed to be building or the trio of metal wing conversions and cannon firing hurricane prototypes I did for the bofb GB... what I lack in quality I make up for with quantity 

cheers all

Rob

Hi Rob

The Spliced Corsairs ("Split" Personality), the forward section of NZ5272 was one of the RNZAF F4U-1A's repainted in Overall GSB by the Servicing Unit, per

my comments above, prior to issue to Operational Squadrons.

The actual air frame along with NZ5307 only had some 6 weeks operational life prior to being reduced to produce, after both were involved in accidents.

Both sections sat in an RNZAF bone yard for some months prior to being joined together, therefore not as "weathered" as the rest of their stablemates

had become.

Regards

Alan

• Like 2

I have a coy of Contact from April 1945 with the Conly images and some period photos of the RNZAF.

Heres a a link to my Corsair build and the copy I have.

let me know if you'd like to see the images and I can scan some in.

cheers

Plasto

http://photos.kiwimodeller.com/image/sLcQ

Edited by Plasto
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi all! 

I have started but can't find any reference pictures for NZ gloss blue undercarriages? Any help!?

i will get the pictures and options I will be doing up tonight of the Un-started kits.

so far I have painted the interior of one kit a bit... but it's a start ok!

• Like 1

On 01/08/2017 at 11:30 AM, Plasto said:

I have a coy of Contact from April 1945 with the Conly images and some period photos of the RNZAF.

Heres a a link to my Corsair build and the copy I have.

let me know if you'd like to see the images and I can scan some in.

cheers

Plasto

http://photos.kiwimodeller.com/image/sLcQ

That's a fine model you have built there!

pictures?! Yes please, I'll pm you.

Rob

47 minutes ago, rob85 said:

Hi all! 

I have started but can't find any reference pictures for NZ gloss blue undercarriages? Any help!?

i will get the pictures and options I will be doing up tonight of the Un-started kits.

so far I have painted the interior of one kit a bit... but it's a start ok!

Hi Rob,

You didn't specify F4U-1A Repaint, F4U-1D or FG-1D?

Being Black & White, bit more difficult, but hopefully this will help

GSB RNZAF Corsair

GSB Corsair

RNZAF FG-1D

RNZAF FG-1D

Colour Profile

Regards

Alan

• Like 1