35809930950_1b90f7a56f_c.jpg

Sprue shots....

35366046434_6477b7e498_b.jpg

36160641406_5d4f39b24c_b.jpg

35366045054_ecaf8d77ea_b.jpg

35397457913_9815374f0e_b.jpg

36201945415_03669a8853_b.jpg

35366049104_e91f403923_b.jpg

This is one of Eduards Dual Combo boxings so you get all the bits to build two aircraft, you get some very nice resin wheels and photo-etch as well.

I've got a few other builds to do as well, so it won't be a quick start - but it looks quite easy to do.

Dave.

• Like 6

Yes, a pretty easy kit to build I agree but i) take care with the undercarriage - quite complicated and easy to get wrong (ask me how I know!) and ii) make sure you apply the decals to a gloss finish, they don't do well on matte.

Max

• 1 month later...

Nice work Dave.

Im trying black basing myself at the moment on a couple of Sea Hurricanes using Vallejo paints. Just wondering which brand you're using?

Thanks 

James

40 minutes ago, franky boy said:

Nice work Dave.

Im trying black basing myself at the moment on a couple of Sea Hurricanes using Vallejo paints. Just wondering which brand you're using?

Thanks 

James

Hi James,

I'm trying different brands at the moment and haven't found the answer yet. Tamiya paint is by far my favorite for airbrushing - but I don't really like the limited range of colours and for most of them I don't like colour matches. For this kit I used Tamiya XF-21 for the underside and I'm happy with that colour.

For the Dark Slate Grey and Extra Dark Sea Grey I used Xrtracrylix.  Xrtracrylixs are in my opinion the best colour matches - but for me (and it could just be my problem) they are a huge pain in the a*$e to airbrush.  They clog up any of my airbrushes to the point of uselessness in under 20 minutes.  

So I haven't found the perfect answer - especially as I'm quite fussy about the colour.

I think I'm just going to keep experimenting until I find the paint that is right combo of airbrushability and colour match.

Dave.

Edited by Dave_R
  • Like 2

I airbrush  Xtracrylics, I found the secret was to thin them slightly.  I use Tamiya acrylic thinners just a drop in the bottom of the cup couple of drops of paint then blend with a brush.  I also keep a syringe of thinner handy to clean the nozzle if it starts to clog.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dave_R said:

Hi James,

I'm trying different brands at the moment and haven't found the answer yet. Tamiya paint is by far my favorite for airbrushing - but I don't really like the limited range of colours and for most of them I don't like colour matches. For this kit I used Tamiya XF-21 for the underside and I'm happy with that colour.

For the Dark Slate Grey and Extra Dark Sea Grey I used Xrtracrylix.  Xrtracrylixs are in my opinion the best colour matches - but for me (and it could just be my problem) they are a huge pain in the a*$e to airbrush.  They clog up any of my airbrushes to the point of uselessness in under 20 minutes.  

So I haven't found the perfect answer - especially as I'm quite fussy about the colour.

I think I'm just going to keep experimenting until I find the paint that is right combo of airbrushability and colour match.

Dave.

Dave 

I know what you mean about Tamiya. Those and Gunze Aqeous are my favourite paints both thinned with Gunze self levelling thinner. If you haven't tried Gunze then give them a go. Their colour range is more specific and larger than Tamiya's.

As i said in my origanal reply that I've been getting on ok with Vallejo model air. They're not as tough as the above mentioned paints but still spray nicely and the colours look ok to my eye. Just keep a damp cotton bud near by.

I also picked up a tip on BM about thinning Xtracrylix with the above mentioned self levelling thinner. You need alot of it and the paint goes thicker until you've added enough SLT which results in a thin paint consistency and thus more passes of the airbrush but it improves it's sprayability no end in my book which is good because you said the colour matches are quite good.

Looking forward to seeing more progress.

James

• 3 weeks later...

Its a great kit, I've just finished one myself as a II in the Glossy Sea Blue scheme option.  However I'll NOT be posting any pics of my effort as it was essentially ruined by my foolish use of Humbrol Gloss Coat grrrrrrrr :hanging: 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

So I've made a bit of progress and got some of the decals on.

24804833558_fa94d82dbe_b.jpg

38645005962_ab8e57d0d7_b.jpg

I've still got the stencils to put and a few bits and pieces to do.  But time is running out and I need to crack on.

Dave.

• Like 3