Round Table Class Trawler

Hello all. I have just finished a build of the White Ensign Round Table Class Trawler over on the Made in Britain II Group Build on this fine forum. If you are interested it is here:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235023311-round-table-class-trawler-finished/

I got this just before the sad closure of White Ensign, and it was one of the best £9.99's I have spent. It was a fabulous kit to build, and I only had one or two minor hitches with it, and they were reasonably easy to solve. I think I should have used Caenis thread to rig it rather than EZ-Line. I was unable to find a full hull camo scheme, so I just used the starboard side painting guide and produced something that does not look too out of place on the port side. I gave the prop a bit of a twist on the blades. I was really glad I had some vision magnifiers for this one!

35808442200_04a098bdae_z.jpg

36159088956_ffb6795610_z.jpg

36159090246_b93be8a2be_z.jpg

35395884023_fe9081d590_z.jpg

This is still quite a large ship in comparison to another I have done in the same scale:

35395888883_85d9294ce4_z.jpg

and finally the obligatory pen-shot for size!

36200216105_4e45b02db2_z.jpg

If you are interested in small(!) stuff, treat yourself to one of these if they ever appear again!

Thanks for looking,

Ray

Edited by Ray S
Tidy up the post
  • Like 17

Really nice build Ray, cracking little ship! I built one of these for a club competition last year and also thought it was a great kit, if a bit tiny! The only thing I was disappoined with was as it was a 3D printed kit, as soon as I put some paint on the printing layering became very obvious - did you find that? 

I think that's a good tip about using the Caenis thread, I failed miserably trying to rig the thing with EZ line, wish my attempt had turned out as well as yours! Must have another go with the Caenis.....

Very nice model!

Keith

16 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Really nice build Ray, cracking little ship! I built one of these for a club competition last year and also thought it was a great kit, if a bit tiny! The only thing I was disappoined with was as it was a 3D printed kit, as soon as I put some paint on the printing layering became very obvious - did you find that? 

I think that's a good tip about using the Caenis thread, I failed miserably trying to rig the thing with EZ line, wish my attempt had turned out as well as yours! Must have another go with the Caenis.....

Very nice model!

Keith

Hi Kieth, thanks for the comments. I have to admit I did not realise it was 3D printed, but it explains the ridges I saw on the hull bottom - I thought it was oversized plating. I did have a line on the aft starboard side that I needed to fill, but I had wondered if it was due to the model possibly being designed as waterline, then a lower hull added when it was found to be so small.

14 hours ago, longshanks said:

Well my gob is well and truly smacked !

I'm scrolling down looking at the pics thinking tasty........

and then the pen puts it in perspective

Nice one Ray

Kev

Kev, coming from you, I am honoured considering some of the stuff you come up with! Thanks indeed!

Cheers to everyone else who has looked too.

Ray

Very nice, Ray. What a tiny model.

As for rigging - I've found that the usual EZ line can be de-stranded quite easily (no pun intended) down to its constituent threads - much thinner than Caenis. Also, the brown EZ line when de-stranded makes good "rope" for signal halyards and similar in 1/700 scale.

Cheers,

GrahamB

• Like 1