Buck Rogers - 1980s Stylee

Mike

I've been rewatching some of the episodes of this Glen Larson rendition of the classic tales with my son (the episode with Buster Crabbe in was cool), and wondered about maybe making a model of one of the ships, as say what you like about the show (disco-lite, clunky & simplistic), the ships have stood up pretty well to the ravages of time.  The Earth Starfighters especially, but the old Monogram kit is hard to find and quite expensive.  The Draconian Marauder is less so, but still not cheap, and as far as I can make out they never kitted the Ship that looks like a wingless F-14 and a Crusader had a baby from episode 2 Planet of the Slave Girls, with Mr Glowing-Hands played by Curly, or Jack Palance as he was sometimes known.

Are they any alternative sources for kits that won't leave me left-handed and hopping? :hmmm:

• Like 3

Oh yeah! The good old Earth Directorate Thunder Fighter! What scale are you looking for? Fantastic Plastic did a resin kit that was outstanding a few years ago in 1/72. It normally goes for about $75 on auction sites.There are also several for sale on Shapeway right now. The low detail kits run about $25. The middle to high detail kits go from about $35 to $95. There are also some 1/48, 1/32 and 1/24 kits out there. What's your poison? 

BTW did you know the Thunder from Buck Rodgers was the orginal design for the Viper on Battlestar Galactica? The name Viper came from the way the two cannons looked like fangs. The producers on BSG changed their minds dropped the design, kept the name and the rest is history.

I didn't know that, no. :hmmm: Kits on Shapeways, eh?  Doubt I could afford the bigger ones that I'd want, but worth a look, thanks :)

If you haven't built a Shapeways model before can I offer some advice?  Get the middle quality kits.  Your gonna have to do a lot of work to get a good finish,  so there isn't any need to pay so much for details your just gonna sand away anyway.  IMHO just get the reasonable priced model and get ready to detail it yourself.  My last model I ordered from them, a 1/72 P-63 Ferret from Wing Commander 2 was $29. Versus the $87 F-54 Epee that I foolishly bought the high detail version of.

Edited by Thud4444

6 minutes ago, Mike said:

Found them.  Biggest is 1:72, but the pics really don't sell it for me :(

https://www.shapeways.com/product/XE6K8N223/thunder-fighter-buck-rogers-1-72?optionId=59821188

This one looks lovely though, but the price is a problem :(

http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=84332

That's the low detail version.  There are much better ones on there. But Shspeways search engine is awful. Always check the data source pics not the finished print. The white substance they print with looks terrible in pictures.  

The great thing about Shapeways is you can contact a designer and they will tweak a design for you. Well, most of the time. I contacted a guy who had some 1/300 Swifts for sale last month. After a few emails he upscaled them to 1/144.  It only took 10 days till they where delivered. Hard to believe if you think about it. Imagine calling Airfix and telling them "you know that 1/48 scale Javelin? I'm gonna need one in 1/72. That's right, just one."

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Smiffy said:

Alliance do a resin kit, which is listed as 1/32. I seem to recall that theirs is basically the Monogram kit that has been reworked a bit. It can be found on the Federation Models website HERE.

Saw that after following your link.  Shame that it doesn't include the cockpit, which is $35 extra.  Total price including shipping to the UK? $160 :crying:

17 hours ago, Bonhoff said:

Corgi did a diecast....

I saw it, but always hated that bar they put across the fangs.  Probably for health & safety concerns. :owww:

3 hours ago, Madmonk said:

The super cheap way to do it is to go paper!!  Then you can print it out at any scale!

http://www.paperaviation.de/Thunderfighter/thunderfighter.html#Thunderfighter

That's superb, but I don't have a colour printer at the moment. :shrug:

• Like 1

I didn't think the file was that bad on Shapeways:

710x528_14191537_8683203_1462243863.jpg

I'm gonna get me one in the fall. When my modeling normally picks back up and yard work dies down. 

4 hours ago, Madmonk said:

The super cheap way to do it is to go paper!!  Then you can print it out at any scale!

http://www.paperaviation.de/Thunderfighter/thunderfighter.html#Thunderfighter

Thanks for the link! A few years ago when I decided I really wanted to start a Wing Commander collection I started using paper models as a template.  I replaced the paper with plastic sheets and got half way through a WC Banshee before I discovered 3d printing services.  I now use the paper models as templates for scribing on panel lines on 3d printed models. I'm gonna borrow Rockpopandchips idea about using plastic sheets as surface details using the lines on the paper as a guide.

You're right - the 3D render does look better than the dreadful photos.  I got side-tracked when I saw a model of the Rocinante from The Expanse though.  I ordered one of the little ones as a "research" buy :blush:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike said:

I saw it, but always hated that bar they put across the fangs.  Probably for health & safety concerns. :owww:

True. Never seen one listed as "Murder Weapon No.1"

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mike said:

You're right - the 3D render does look better than the dreadful photos.  I got side-tracked when I saw a model of the Rocinante from The Expanse though.  I ordered one of the little ones as a "research" buy :blush:

No problems,  I have the Donnager and Thomas Prince I purchased when the show first started.  I keep waiting on my skills to improve before I tackle either one of those.  I don't seem to be getting better, however. 

As for the Rocinante...

giphy.gif

52 minutes ago, Bonhoff said:

True. Never seen one listed as "Murder Weapon No.1"

It may also have has something to do with robustness too.  Knowing my 7-year old's proclivity for breaking stuff that I didn't think he was capable of, I wouldn't be surprised ;)

51 minutes ago, Thud4444 said:

No problems,  I have the Donnager and Thomas Prince I purchased when the show first started.  I keep waiting on my skills to improve before I tackle either one of those.  I don't seem to be getting better, however. 

As for the Rocinante...

giphy.gif

That surely is the bestest bit of TV around at the moment for a red-blooded male that likes a bit of sci-fi.  We digress though :blush:

I think I might save up some shekels for one of the bigger resin kits if circumstances permit at some point.  I've contacted the guy from modelermagic that does one in 1:35 to see if he's still in business, and what it would cost to get a Starfighter, and once I have the figures I can start thinking of which post office to hold up! :lol:

I liked the Expanse much more than the books, but it still leaves me a bit cold - I think Holden and Naomi are pretty wooden which doesn't help. But the space ships! Wheee :)

I've also re-watched Buck Rogers recently and absolutely loved it. It's delightful to find something that hasn't aged, even Mrs. V. enjoyed it a whole lot and she's pretty cynical about my rose-tinted '80s nostalgia. Almost every episode gives you the impression that the cast are having a *really* good time working together.

I think my fave is the two-parter with Dr. Kellogg and the assassination squad. So much good stuff in that. The Jack Palance one you mentioned is good too. And the Space Vampire :)

On the kits, the Fantastic Plastic 1/72 option seems like the most practical bet, but it's going to be a bit small and probably need some work to clean up, based on what I've seen of their products in various build threads. Not bad for resin though.

http://fantastic-plastic.com/BuckRogersThunderfighterPage.htm

The Shapeways one you posted looks rough - blurry photo doesn't inspire confidence in the surface quality, and to my eyes the cockpit isn't the right shape - too rounded?

Cheers,

Will

• Like 1

I don't know how you are watching it, but if you have it on DVD I highly recommend checking out the special features.  Fascinating stuff. One of the more interesting things for me personally was how they approached his relationships in the future.  This show was filmed in the middle of the STD epidemic here in the States,  so they made sure to show you that he only one romantic partner.  Sure he had a "will they won't they" relationship with Wilma. And a predatory relationship with the Princess but when he's shown going on vacation or heading on a date they brought the same actor back every time. The writers wanted to make this distinction from the more stereotypIcal Kirk and Starbuck. I'd never noticed before until they pointed it out. Weird. 

When I was a kid I was way too busy crushing on Erin Gray to ever notice something so nuanced.  I was really disappointed that the proposed reboot post BSG didn't happen.  Their pitch sounded amazing.

As far as the Expanse goes, I understand what you are saying but every character is amazing to me on that show. I don't like Naomi, but that's because I don't trust her. But all the others are spot on. A huge plus for me was the Martian sergeant. She's not only kinda hot, but she looks like she could probably beat the crap out of you. Unlike most shows, who would have hired a 90 lb fashion model for that role. But my personal favorites are Amos and Cas.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQgyMHABXpkk-mnpmHAxqt

Edited by Thud4444

1 hour ago, Thud4444 said:

I don't know how you are watching it, but if you have it on DVD I highly recommend checking out the special features.

I've got the Blu-Ray set, I'll have to see what's available feature-wise. That's an interesting story about the relationships, my daughter said "it's lucky everyone finds Buck and Wilma so attractive, or they wouldn't be able to save the day". There are a *lot* of stories that are at least partially resolved by someone fancying either or both of the heroes!

I fancy Wilma too, but as an adult I appreciate that Buck also wears outfits that leave little to the imagination. Quite forward thinking, indeed.

1 hour ago, Thud4444 said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQgyMHABXpkk-mnpmHAxqt

Totally agree that Amos is really good. I like Miller much more in the TV series too, I didn't think he came across well in the book.

Martian Sgt. might be season 2? We've only had S1 over here, which covers most of the first book. I didn't read past the first one as while I like the ideas I don't like the writing much. If only I was less fussy I would enjoy more sci-fi. Mind you I like Killjoys so maybe I'm not that fussy...

Will

• Like 1

Sorry about that! I didn't know, it's a tiny spoiler I promise. Season 2 is really good. Holden gets fleshed out more, so does Naomi.  

We cool?

giphy.gif

Killjoys, huh?  Yikes! Not like I can complain when I've recommended a show that contains :

And the most 70s thing ever caught on film.

My son wanted to know why the Princess never wore any clothes when he watched it a bit ago. I just shook my head and said "it was the 70s.":shrug:

Edited by Thud4444
  • Like 4

The disco scenes in the initial film are some of the most embarassing "acting" scenes of the whole series, and how the band go from pseudo-classic straight to disco just by Buck clicking his fingers a bit is a mystery that lingers to this very day :hmmm:

Oh how we digress in these threads ^_^ No harm though, as I've found out my answers which boil down to "you can't afford one" :crying:

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Mike said:

The disco scenes in the initial film are some of the most embarassing "acting" scenes of the whole series, and how the band go from pseudo-classic straight to disco just by Buck clicking his fingers a bit is a mystery that lingers to this very day :hmmm:

I had completely forgotten about that. 25th century science?

The big thing that always got to me was how did his Emma Peel style high kicks knock a grown man out so easily? 

13 minutes ago, Mike said:

"you can't afford one" :crying:

That's gonna be the name of my autobiography. 

Edited by Thud4444
  • Like 3

That disco is great. Also the *incredibly* dodgy titles in the movie version (I think) of the pilot? With all the vaseline-smeared lens work and reclining beauties.

I watched the first part of Wake of the War Witch last knight: "I think I'll call you... Pantherman. You're black, you're beautiful. Why don't you come over here and let me see your claws?"

Will