The other Tim's Revell 1/48 F15E Strike Eagle - 48 FW, RAF Lakenheath

Tim Moff

Well thats the main airframe decalled up.....now concentrating on the F15C weapon/tanks etc.....so be time to get that protective gloss cote on, before using Testors Dullcote for the first time as my matt cote....more below with an RFI!

Just need to get the weapons decalled....3 x GBU38, 2 x GBU12 one of the GBU31s on the centreline....plus 2 x AIM120B and 2 x AIM9M.....that was a mission with the C, 6 x AIM120C (2 x nicked hence the Bs being used on this kit!) and 4 x AIM9X (2 for the spares box!) .....a few hours over last weeks evenings!!

As ever with Britmodeller GBs, the finishing line comes to the modeller rather than the modeller getting to it!

zlQWeZu.jpg

sdW42u3.jpg

V94bpR0.jpg

Both together during the decalling marathon....

IV5ZYiw.jpg

Now Ive heard loads of good stuff about this stuff - any experts on how to use? I Gloss cote using X22 and Mr Levelling Thinner approx X22 75/ MLT 25....through my Neo 0.3 Needle AB. Followed by a quick mist of neat MLT......how should I thin the Testors Dullcote - what ratios, With MLY (it is lacquer based) - any advice welcome!!

mFb2jP2.jpg

During this pause, be rude not to post some action Pics!

Some of the actual subject.....interestingly no serial number for the area in next to In-Flight Refuelling hatch are included, and the refs with the Two Bobs decals do not show the numbers on the 2 aircraft in the set....

42xlW0x.jpg

YqDfd1q.jpg

jyPbaGf.jpg

Nothing like breaking off the tanker, going inverted, with a full bomb load.....:yikes:

Rp425k5.jpg

iaU8h30.jpg

• Like 3

OK - some advice - the GBU 38 on the academy instructions show a blue nose band - is this correct? Surely thats inert?

References seem fairly mixed up...

1 hour ago, Tim Moff said:

OK - some advice - the GBU 38 on the academy instructions show a blue nose band - is this correct? Surely thats inert?

References seem fairly mixed up...

Definitely not blue, a yellow band denotes a live warhead, an inert warhead would be completely blue.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Stephen said:

Definitely not blue, a yellow band denotes a live warhead, an inert warhead would be completely blue.  

Thanks - yes I reckon they include the bands for inert loads....

6 hours ago, snapper_city said:

If you are on Facebook join a group called The Combat Workshop. They are dedicated to aircraft ordnance and weathing them. Great source of weapon information. 

Yep - I am a member, some great refs.

Aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Weapons decalled - done a set of A2A missiles from the Revell kit and spares from the Academy ......not sure why Revell have red bands?

Clearly not all will be loaded, likely the 2 x GBU 12s, 3 x GBU 38s and 1 of the GBU31's....

Just need to get it all sealed with a gloss cote and a quick wash.....

traditionally I have used Floreys dark dirt which is chalk based....open to suggestions....can be a bit too dirty sometimes...

some use and enamel paint thinned right down, something darker than the min colour....say in this case a Dark Sea Grey? Does this work with lacquers?

Tim

qTcK2Sq.jpg

• Like 2

Decals locked in,  bit of oils and thinners plus floreys wash to weather.....wanted the E model to look a bit weather beaten as some do. Realised the reference pics with the decals show the old Ae arrangement under the nose, so will keep as is....

38ViVhi.jpg

KFl4aZl.jpg

A0xnRqP.jpg

ImHeSD5.jpg

ySKrfMC.jpg

15844232987_591d12d707_b.jpg

2q4ebZn.jpg?1

Wnnu9gn.jpg

Some Dullcote next, then to finish the Aes, weapon bits for the pylons, oh and I forgot a scoop for the CFTs!

Edited by Tim Moff
  • Like 3

Getting closer withe the Mud Hen......

Some interesting pics from the 492FS return to the 'Heath' this week.....including a kill star on 97 - 0219 - apparently an Iranian made Shaheed 129 Drone that was approaching a coalition SF FOB in Syria....according to the source below, a similar drone was shot down earlier, again by an F15, so somewhere there should be another star on an airframe? Anyone have any info? Likely to be another LN airframe, or possibly SJ?

http://www.popularmechanics.com/military/aviation/a27001/syria-iran-drone-shaheed-129/

Mx1nOch.jpg

sOWEOa6.jpg

On to my Mudhen....

30 Jet Pipe control rods to go on......then another 30 with the C .....

j7CQ735.jpg

After getting the Testors Dulcote on its time to start that final assembly.....

Pylons and missiles....

c70RJGp.jpg?1

SveEeVn.jpg

Hopefully the weathering shows up a bit better with the dulcote on......

dGBg2bo.jpg

weapons on....

ugvWfpr.jpg

Tails on, jet pipes on, masks off!

wUfTydm.jpg

Just a last finish off and check over and I will have some pics in the gallery.....

Edited by Tim Moff
  • Like 6

Thats it I think.....not sure what the best back ground is....white or blue?

Tq7fzan.jpg

iNgbQhJ.jpg

ftvtGtT.jpg

Y2DuTQU.jpg

fTV2nrW.jpg

A8xEFQX.jpg

dLCM2m4.jpg

0UDOEDX.jpg

zyvRkob.jpg

wiw33vM.jpg

MoCwPSF.jpg

Thanks for all the advice and help - a really enjoyable GB with a link to my home village.......

• Like 5

Very nice pair of Eagles!!!:yes:

I prefer the E as you did a great paint work to bring this difficult camouflage to life!!!

The C is good too, but I find it a bit...on the dark side.I can't see the the american roundel over the wing. Is it missing or is its colour matching that of the wing?

Are you going to install them on a pedestal? If so, have you already chosen one?

Ciao

Massimo

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, massimo said:

Very nice pair of Eagles!!!:yes:

I prefer the E as you did a great paint work to bring this difficult camouflage to life!!!

The C is good too, but I find it a bit...on the dark side.I can't see the the american roundel over the wing. Is it missing or is its colour matching that of the wing?

Are you going to install them on a pedestal? If so, have you already chosen one?

Ciao

Massimo

Thanks Massino - I know what you mean regards the C - the paint match is Mr. Paint so they are reknown to be pretty accurate - the wing decal is on there but does fade a bit into the Med Mod grey - was the correct decal....so not sure!

Very well done Tim! 

As mentioned before: it is astonishing how you made the E-model to look so lively/vivid (not sure about the word) even though it is only Gunship Grey over all!

(btw: I also think the white background works best)

• Thanks 1