WW1 Fighters & Bombers help me expand my collection

Hello all somewhat a newbie to BM. Newbie to WW1 aircraft other than the basics. Im trying to add to my overall Collection of builds/kits/Stash. I have a Sopwith Camel in 1/72nd and am planning on adding the following types. Id like to keep them same scale for display purposes. I would love to do these kits from WNW but im on a seriously restrictive budget financially and storage wise.

I guess what im looking for is help completing the following list. 

1. Sopwith pup 

2. Sopwith Triplane

3. Nieuport ( not sure of variants )

4. Spad ( again not sure of variants )

5. Fokker Dr.1 ( Triplane correct?)

6. Fokker D.VII ( Biplane ?)

7. Fokker Eindecker (monowing?)

8. Albatross D.III

9. Albatross D.5

10. Pfalz (not sure of variants)

I hope thats a good start as im just starting out. These will be built along with other types in my stash as time unfolds and as i think i can get to them. But am looking at eduard kits for most of them in this scale. Any how i hope and believe you gentleman are far wiser when it comes to this era. 

Thank you 

Dennis

Off the top of my head, here we go:

1. Sopwith Pup: HR Model. The Airfix Pup is OOP (and ancient)

2. Sopwith Triplane: Revell (OOP, try E-Bay?)

3. Nieuport: Various marques by Eduard, Revell, and Roden

4. SPAD: Eduard, Revell, Airfix. Check availability/E-Bay

5. Fokker Dr1: Eduard, Revell (the recent kit is nice), Roden (fiddly struts)

6. Fokker DVII: MAC Distribution, Roden, Revell (ancient)

7. Fokker Eindecker: Revell, Eduard (check availability/E-Bay), Airfix (new!)

8. Albatros D III: Revell (ancient), Roden

9. Albatros DV: Eduard, Roden

10. Pfalz: AZ Model (E1), Eastern Express/TOKO (D XII), ICM (E IV), MAC Distribution (D IIIa), Roden (D III, D IIIa)

Note that these are all injection-moulded kits; there are almost certainly others that are resin/vacform.

And all these are in my stash...

• Like 1

In addition to Steve's post 

11. Eastern Express Sikorsky S16

12.      "      Sopwith Strutter recce

13.       "      Strutter single seat bomber

14.    "         Strutter trainer

15,     "         Strutter Comic HD fighter

16. Roden       Sopwith Camel

17     "            2F1 Navy Camel

18.    "             Comic Camel

19.    "              Trainer

20.   "             Bristol Fighter

21. Airfix         RE 8

22.   "             Bristol Fighter

23.    "             BE2C

24.     "            Airco DH4

25.     "             Avro 504K

26.  Pegasus      AW FK8

27.    "              Bristol Fighter

28.     "             DH4 - three versions

29.     "             Airco DH5

30.     "             Martinsyde Elephant

31.     "            BE2E

32.   AZ           Morane L

33.    "             Martinsyde Buzzard

34.   A Model    Spad A2/4

35.      "             Avro 504

These are all Entente aircraft. There are also the Airfix Handley Page 0/400 twin engined heavy bomber and the Roden series of twin engined Felixstowe/Curtiss flying boats. All of the above are obtainable, some more easily than the others. Not forgetting the Airfix Camel which is the least best but can with a bit of TLC be made into a passable Camel. Again all are injection kits and many can be used as conversion material. Can post list of Central Powers aircraft if desired.

Regards, Steve

Edited by stevehed
  • Like 1

I'm afraid I can't add to your list much in 1/72 but I know a few.

I know that Eduard did a decent 1/72 DH.2, MACDisttribution also do a Bristol Scout and Phonix and Special Hobby do a Lloyd C.V.

I wish you well on your quest.

• Like 1

By Pegasus

Hansa Brandenberg W29

Albatros DI/DII

Albatros DIII

Albatros W4

Junkers D1

Sopwith Snipe [also done by other kit makers]

By Toko & Eastern Express

Aviatik D1

Hansa Brandenberg D1

Morane Saulnier I

Sikorsky S. XVI

Pfalz D. XII

Bleriot XI

Roden

Albatros D1

Albatros W4

Fokker F1

Fokker DVIII

Junkers D1

Pfalz DIII

Gotha [various Marks]

Felixstowe F2a

Zeppelin Staaken

Nieuport N24 & N27

Airfix

O/400

Frog/Novo

Vickers Vimy [borderline for WW1 and the kit needs altering]

Can't remember kit makers

Ansaldo SVA

Hanriot HD1

SPAD S4

• Like 1

I posted a list of 1:72 WWI  kits on ww1aircraftmodels forum. It's 4 pages long, so I won't repost it here, but you can find it there if you search for "List of all kits"

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 1

Corsairfoxfouruncle,

I have no idea how much time / place / money do you wish to devote to the WWI aircraft modelling, but in my opinion 40-50 is the minimum number to display the various forms, shapes, roles, camouflages of the WWI big players' aircraft.

I know that for most teenagers the typical WWI German fighter should be Fokker - either the (scourge famed) Eindecker or Dreidecker (of the Red Baron last flight). But in reality both these were minor types used for the very short time and by very few units. Everyday fighter job was performed by biplanes built by Albatross, Pfalz and (in 1918) Fokker D.VII.

Indigenous Russian aircraft are also of almost no significance - 90% of Imperial Russian air force consisted of Nieuports, Voisins, Farmans, Moranes and SPADs.

So - my "forty" (forty+ to be exact) would include:

Britain - Airco DH4 (Airfix), DH5 (Pegasus), DH9A (Maquette), AVRO 504 (Amodel), AW FK 8, Bristol F2B (Roden), Felixstowe F2/3 (Roden), HP O/400 (Airfix), RAF BE2 (Airfix), RE8 (Airfix), SE5 (Roden),

Sopwith Baby (Eduard), Strutter (Toko), Pup (HR), Camel (Roden), Snipe (Toko) and Dolphin (Pegasus)

France - Breguet XIV (AZ), Hanriot HD1 (HR), Morane L (AZ), Nieuport 10 (HR), Nieuport 11 (Toko), Nieuport 17 (Eduard) or 27 (Roden), Salmson 2 (Pegasus), SPAD VII (MAC) and SPAD 13 (Eduard)

Germany - Albatros D.II, D.III or D.V (Roden), Albatros C.III (Meikraft), Etrich Taube (Pegasus), Fokker D.VII (MAC), Halberstadt CL.II (Pegasus), Hannover CL.III (Airfix), Hansa W.29 (Toko), LVG C.VI (KP), Pfalz D.III (MAC), Pfalz D.XII (Toko) and Rumpler C.IV (Merlin or Pegasus),

Austria-Hungary - Berg D.I (Toko), Brandenburg B.I (Legato) and Phoenix D.II?D.III (MAC)

Italy - Caproni Ca3 (Meikraft), Ansaldo SVA (Fly or AZ)

USA - Curtiss JN (Olimp), Thomas Morse S.4 (Olimp)

Most of them have been listed above, but I cannot imagine a WWI collection without Breguet XIV, DH.9A and a Jenny...

Cheers

Michael

Michael i appreciate any input i get towards my goal. Will i build all ? Im not sure but i will take all the suggestions i get here on BM and compile a list of 30-50 types. Then i will subdivide that group into the major powers to achieve a balance of types. Only at that point will i choose the groupings and actually build them. I will try to rotate through so i balance and don't do all british or all german first. Though i did do the sopwith camel already. as that seems to be a very well known subject i started there i again thank you for your input. 

Good luck! I have over 140 different types in my stash.......

Probably won't have time for the majority unless I live to well over 100 and am still capable of building 1:72 kits. Here's hoping!

Ian

• Like 1