1/350 Strath Class HM Armed Trawler - Scratchbuild

Finally got this wee 1/350 scratchbuilt beastie finished.

Had some issues though - apart from the usual glacial build as I try and figure out how to make something.

First I broke the wee USB drive I used to transfer pics from my phone - and which had all the later pics on it. Nae probs, continue pic taking use my trusty old Canon D60 DSLR. 

Ah, although it's a good camera, it's also an old camera and won't transfer pics from the camera to the PC cos the software is too old. Nae probs, where's my CF card reader...

Umm, yes, where is my CF card reader, I had about three of them. Nae probs, buy a new one, wait a few days for it to arrive. Find the original CF Card reader the day after it arrives   :rage:  

Get the final build pics and transfer to PC.

Finally receive the dreaded "You've been shafted" message from PB. Nae probs, keep the pics, I have copies.

So here's the finished article, I've added some with smoke and some without. Which do you prefer? 

I did worry that I'd added too much rust effect but these wee boats took a serious battering all the time.

59RudFUh.jpg

BDQ1ZBsh.jpg

I was a bit disappointed with how 2D the Tamiya 1/350 figures were but I made a set of binoculars for the guy on the bridge wearing the white woolly pully:

dYAGw3th.jpg

MkIhkJsh.jpg

TwYq4GFh.jpg

QFdDIfPh.jpg

It's not very big:

e6QX7Tah.jpg

And next to a 1/72 Hurri for scale comparison.

46bhup0h.jpg

Hope you like it and happy to receive constructive criticism.

Edited by Murdo
Title change
  • Like 16

Very well done,  I like the way you have done the smoke, very effective in this scale.

That's a little cracker! But not as little as the1/700 WEM version I was stupid enough to build last year...!! Yours is all the better for being scratchbuild though!

I can't really make my mind up about the smoke - but I think I like it!

You've also reminded me I need to find my card reader too!

Keith

2 minutes ago, Murdo said:

Thanks guys!

Keith, did you post your 1/700 WEM build? Looked for it on your profile but couldn't find it.

No I didn't sorry, I'm so slow building things these days that I just feel it's not worth doing build threads. I actually built it for a club competition last February (2016) but still haven't got round to rigging it or making a base for it. I'm not really much of a ship modeller either, & have just realised it's a different class to yours - it's a Round Table class.

Keith

Hello Murdo, thanks for entering the dark world of scratchbuilding! You have done an excellent job with this one. Rust is just right, not too much of it. I reckon the 'smoke' adds to the scene and it too looks pretty good to me.

Do you have any plans for another scratchbuild?

Great work,

Ray

Hi Ray,

I have dabbled a wee bit in previous scratch built stuff.

1/35 Emhar Whippet with scratch built interior:

qFh8aBIh.jpg

2HTL6o5h.jpg

tJ8DitJh.jpg

1/35 Fully scratch built Bristol Bloodhound AA Missile made out of pens, pencils, candles and wiring from an old PC power supply for the hydraulic cables:

VehfVxJh.jpg

0nKHGzHh.jpg

aMGJuY8h.jpg

It's a surprisingly big beast - seen here with a 1/35 Chally 2 for size comparison:

ZBpBMGeh.jpg

1/144 Whaling Ship my dad worked on back in the 1950s in South Georgia. I used the Revell North Sea Trawler hull and scratch built the rest. I also made the display case it's in. He was very chuffed with it and it hangs on his living room wall.

cx2yIN1h.jpg

26Vatq5h.jpg

IXp8wBxh.jpg

I have another Revell North Sea Trawler kit in the stash and was thinking of maybe building another armed trawler with it... 

:hmmm:

• Like 2

On 7/31/2017 at 10:40 PM, Murdo said:

Hi Ray,

I have dabbled a wee bit in previous scratch built stuff.

Hi Murdo, some brilliant work there. Great inginuity with the Bloodhound, and a fabulous way of displaying the whaler

Top marks all round I reckon,

Ray