Revell (Matchbox) 1/72 Bristol Beaufighter

• 2 weeks later...

Just to prove that I have made a start on this (although a very small one :blush:) here is the start of the cockpit. The engine levers alone are terrifying! However, my modelling has again been pushed to the back of the queue as far as my time goes, and I go on holiday tomorrow. When I return my Meteor for the MIB II GB will be my priority but I will crack on with this as well. Incidentally, if anyone knows of any model shops in San Diego a heads up would be appreciated! :thumbsup:

IMG_20170807_213306

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Back on it, for some reason the etch was causing problems for no real reason. The floor for the observer's station was too wide so needed trimming, but won't be seen at all when closed up. Anyway, here she is ready for "greening".

IMG_20170904_155722

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

Sorry about the delay in progress, trying to complete the bathroom and my training at work has had to take priority. That said, I am now on it and have decided to improve things somewhat. The thimble nose on the Matchbox kit is too long and too straight to my eye, so I have reduced it and angled it down slightly. The gun ports are flush on the kit so I have taken a mould of the Airfix kit  and cast a resin copy to replace it. I am in the process of blending it all in so will post pics shortly.

IMG_20171016_200645

As promised here is the remodelled nose and gun ports:

IMG_20171017_123534

Still need a little work blending it. Having compared the rather small Matchbox tailplanes to the Airfix ones, I decided I couldn't live with them. I stole the spare set from the Airfix kit and will make them fit with some surgery. I think the chord of the elevators may be too thick for the mark but so be it. You can see the difference in size in the pic below.

IMG_20171017_131217

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am not enjoying this build. There have been many times it has come close to being rammed onto the shelf of doom, admittedly due to my modifications rather than the kit itself. This GB has saved it from that fate thus far. However, to throw things further into the mix I have managed to lose the decal sheet. I have turned my office/modelling room upside down trying to find it but no luck so far. I will finish the painting and have another look but no doubt it will come down to e**y to puchase another decal sheet. Anything else goes wrong and I will take my sledgehammer to it.

Anyway, here is my slow progress so far:

IMG_20171119_182551

• Like 2

On 17/10/2017 at 9:25 PM, rafalbert said:

As promised here is the remodelled nose and gun ports:

IMG_20171017_123534

Still need a little work blending it. Having compared the rather small Matchbox tailplanes to the Airfix ones, I decided I couldn't live with them. I stole the spare set from the Airfix kit and will make them fit with some surgery. I think the chord of the elevators may be too thick for the mark but so be it. You can see the difference in size in the pic below.

IMG_20171017_131217

Having seen that image I suspect that Marchbox used RD253 at Hendon as their reference.  There's another thread in WIP where this issue, which also affects Tamiya's 1/48th Beaufighter, is discussed in some depth and appropriate remedial action is described.

If you're not committed to using the Revell decals I think I have those for a radar-nosed Coastal Command Beaufighter from the new Airfix kit that you could have if you pm me your address.

On 16.10.2017 at 9:21 PM, rafalbert said:

The gun ports are flush on the kit so I have taken a mould of the Airfix kit  and cast a resin copy to replace it.

Can I ask, what material you used for the mould?  Is that easy to handle. I want to do some resin copies for my old diecast. More or less simple things, so i don't want to buy expensive silicone for that. Cheers

Hi Bbudde, I bought this stuff when I was in San Diego in the summer:

https://www.alumilite.com/store/p/1024-Mold-Putty.aspx

It cost $20 and you simply take two parts of putty, knead together, press over the part you wish to take a mould of then approx 15 mins later it is done. I am not sure if it is for sale over here but I guess there would be equivalent items.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, rafalbert said:

Hi Bbudde, I bought this stuff when I was in San Diego in the summer:

https://www.alumilite.com/store/p/1024-Mold-Putty.aspx

It cost $20 and you simply take two parts of putty, knead together, press over the part you wish to take a mould of then approx 15 mins later it is done. I am not sure if it is for sale over here but I guess there would be equivalent items.

Many thanks. I will try that for reproducing missing parts of my old diecasts. By the way the Beaufighter looks great so far. Cheers from Germany.

On 22/11/2017 at 5:26 PM, stever219 said:

There's another thread in WIP where this issue, which also affects Tamiya's 1/48th Beaufighter, is discussed in some depth and appropriate remedial action is described.

That’ll be my thread!

Loving what you’re doing with this golden oldie. I built two out of the box when they first came out.

Trevor

I can see that you are getting close rafalbert after all that hard work.  I hope that things come together for you this week and that we get to see it finished in the Gallery :)

Cliff

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Well, due to losing the decals I missed the deadline. Thanks to Stever219 coming the rescue by supplying his spare Airfix ones (many thanks again Steve!), I have at least been able to complete the old girl. As I mentioned previously I did not enjoy the build but I must confess to not being totally displeased with the outcome. I think that my crude attempts have improved the look of the kit a little, and it doesn't look too bad on the shelf. Anyway, here are the pics:

IMG_20171209_150352IMG_20171209_150402IMG_20171209_150415IMG_20171209_150424IMG_20171209_150438IMG_20171209_150447

• Like 7