A jumble o' kits from The Shelf o' Doooom

Not scared off Alex! I wrote a post, a long one, went to post it. 'Send'. Wait. Wait. Wait some more.

Phone froze up (I was using it for everything; still bedbound).

Restart; not even restored in the compose box (it normally is).

More freezing up on other websites. Around 4 weeks of 'odd' behaviour now.

Mrs. T has taken it to the Apple Store, ; hopefully they can sort it out quickly.

I'm currently on the 8 year old Powerbook.

I agree about the kits; the FW 190 is very nearly there, could be finished quickly.

The Land Rover is great; it would be great to see that completed too :).

I like the mug; it tells the truth :D

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 2

Hello Tony,

I wrote a reply myself then deleted it :locked: after pondering it overnight: a wee bit inflammatory it were - it were about what passes for 'internet' 'services' in Orstilia. I'm not the only one by a long chalk, and there was, coincidentally, an article in one of the Oz newspapers about just that today. Or about a bit of it. There is just so much to...

It was me on my :angrysoapbox.sml: having a jolly good :rant: . I really got very cross about it all. 

Bad news about the phone: what was worng with it 'exactly'? Other than frozen? Isn't it new(ish)?

I realised while I was watering the garden this arvo that the Seafire is very nearly on the Shelf o' Doooooooom itself. So maybe that will be the first one to be finished ;). The only reason that it isn't officially there is that I haven't packed up all the little boxes containing all the little parts into a bigger box and stuffed it into... Oh dear, here I go again :rant:  :crying: .

Barring that, the 1/72 FW-190. Then you can all laugh yer heads orf at my 'painting' 'skills' :rofl:. Oh, how I have come to hate painting. I used to really enjoy it. Modern paints have quite a bit do with it, I have to say. Oh NO!  :rant:

Cheers,

Alex. :sheep: <-- at least Sheep doesn't rant, or if he does, I have never realised that he's doing so...

• Like 2

Nothing like a good rant :thumbsup:!

I've noticed that it's best if I rant on my own, whilst Mrs. T is out. It really is all very 'Victor Meldrew'.

The phone is just 8 months old. It's still at the store. With me stuck in bed and Mrs. T at work (lots of hours), it will be there until next Saturday. I dropped it a few times in the early months of ownership :dunce: . I hope whatever it is, it's covered by warranty :pray: .

The car is in for its roadworthy repairs too. It's amazing how much money it's possible to spend without even leaving one's bed :(.

Model painting can be a bit of a pain, but when it goes well it's a good feeling.

There are so many brands of paint to choose from. In the very limited modelling I've done in the last 18 months, I've started to trust some paints more than others.

Perhaps not surprisingly; I'm trusting Tamiya acrylics more and more, for airbrush work. Also Agama; but it's a little tricky to get hold of here in Oz. LifeColor for brushwork. A very different beast to enamel, but once over just how different, very relaxing. Gunze is reliable too, but I can't get to grips with it for hairy stick work; only airbrush.

A foray into Swedish topics (SAAB B17) has led to the purchase of some 'Mr. Paint' colours. They look very promising.

It would be good to see the little Butcher Bird get a coat or two... a very attractive aircraft.

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 3

On 25/07/2017 at 23:31, limeypilot said:

I used to shoot my "unfinished" models with an airgun, then glue the bits back together, shoot them again, etc, etc. I think it was my Mum's fault....she was a Scot....

TT I know exactly what you mean about the little floaty black bits. Occasionally a model or two would "catch fire"and I'd bomb ants nests with the little fiery drops....

Aah, memories!

Ian

That took me back - I used to get discarded models and make a little airbase diorama in the pellet-trap sandpit we had at the end of the garden, populate it with toy soldiers and then methodically pick them off and then the planes from a 1st floor window.

It's a wonder I didn't get carted off to a secure unit aged about 10

• Like 2

Hello alex,

My painting skills are not at the top, that's the reason why there is so much model almost finished that wait for.... painting.

I restart my envy to re- learn how to use my airbrush...

I've worked for years with a basic badger, I did nice thing with it, then my old compressor has his swansong

It has it when I was trying a Badger 150, cleaning it continuously, I was about to throw the badger away.

Then I noticed that the fault was in Compressor :huh:

I'm not really glad with my paint, but as T Tiger quote it, do it, try Something else, every little Victory is a good one to take up !

Good pics and collection of models, well Worth to be restarted.

Have a very nice day !

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LostCosmonauts said:

That took me back - I used to get discarded models and make a little airbase diorama in the pellet-trap sandpit we had at the end of the garden, populate it with toy soldiers and then methodically pick them off and then the planes from a 1st floor window.

We had a small earth mound at the end of the garden which I used. Airfix 1:32 soldiers with twig barricades featured prominently. Not a few had their heads shot off! More luck than judgement,  although I did finish 6th in an Airgun World sponsored National field shoot one year - the only one in the top 10 with open sights!

My claim to fame!

Ian

• Like 3

6 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Tamiya acrylics more and more, for airbrush work. Also Agama; but it's a little tricky to get hold of here in Oz. LifeColor for brushwork. A very different beast to enamel, but once over just how different, very relaxing. Gunze is reliable too, but I can't get to grips with it for hairy stick work; only airbrush.

A foray into Swedish topics (SAAB B17) has led to the purchase of some 'Mr. Paint' colours. They look very promising.

Ah, yes, Mr Paint. I believe that they are ink-based. what sort of ink I don't know, but they say 'ink' on their website. Not available over here as far as I know. The usual 'import-it-oneself' job. Blasted BNA are out of Mr Brinzan's tools almost completely now, curse them, so there's another DIY import coming up. I've noticed that while BNA have a good range, you have to be quick, since their re-stocking seems to be a bit of the, er...vague side.

6 hours ago, LostCosmonauts said:

Hello LC, welcome to one of my nutty threads! Ah, yes. I did a similar thing wherein I took the pilot form Airfix's 1/24 Bf 109 E kit to school to the airgun club - and got him right in the middle. That was a bit of a game-changer, since I realised the implications of what I had done, and never did that again - although I once shot a rabbit from almost a kilometre away without a scope sight. Still don't know how I did that - and again, I didn't repeat it. I used to have extremely acute eyesight, but not anymore, sadly :crying: .

1 hour ago, corsaircorp said:

It has it when I was trying a Badger 150, cleaning it continuously, I was about to throw the badger away.

Then I noticed that the fault was in Compressor :huh:

I'm not really glad with my paint, but as T Tiger quote it, do it, try Something else, every little Victory is a good one to take up !

Good pics and collection of models, well Worth to be restarted.

Have a very nice day !

Funny how the chain of error can be traced back. In my case I usually replace the first link before I find that it was the second or even further along... Occasionally I get it right, but it is a very rare event. Practise, however, is something that I seem to be avoiding where painting is concerned at the moment. Part of it is that I seem to waste such an inordinate amount stirring the jars/tins/bottles, even if I use a brush to scrape the excess back into the relevant container. Not that I don't have more paints than you could poke a stick at... Thank you for your kind wishes, you too :).

1 hour ago, limeypilot said:

We had a small earth mound at the end of the garden which I used. Airfix 1:32 soldiers with twig barricades featured prominently. Not a few had their heads shot off! More luck than judgement,  although I did finish 6th in an Airgun World sponsored National field shoot one year - the only one in the top 10 with open sights!

I never reached those dizzy heights, but I was quite a good shot. Too good for my own comfort, I have to say. I refused the offers of various guns from my father-in-law over the years, knowing that if I had accepted them I would be six feet under by my own hand by now.

That Seafire is still gnawing away at my conscience. If it weren't for the fact that I had promised Ced and Procopius that I would make it, it might even be in the bin by now. As it is, bits of it are getting very close to that fate: looking at you, F11. Another reason that I am having trouble with the Seafire is that I am having serious handling issues with CA. With things like large flying models it doesn't matter very much (at least on unseen internals) but with near-invisible (see comment about eyesight above) things like 1/72 models, I am having a terrible time with the stuff. 1/48 isn't so bad as bits are relatively larger compared with the tiny RB Productions glue applicator that I use, and which is still not small enough for this Fumble Fingered Fool on 1/72  :(.

Speaking of painting, I am having oh so much fun painting up a steel baseplate for the micro-lathe. I have got the the topcoat stage - my absolute least favourite part of the process. And again, this is on a relatively large scale.

Sorry for the whining and wittering and bleating and blethering and whinging and generally carrying on. Like Marvin the paranoid android, I get so depressed. I think I'll just sit here and rust. Or not.

• Like 2

Hello Alex,

May be an after party blues...

As virtual as it was the party with Percy, Lisa and the goat, gave me lots of laugh and relief, almost like a real one in fact.

SWMBO was irritated because I get on the PC with regularity... Just like a real one, I told you.

Modelling is the thing that keep me in a sort of sense of sanity ! Even at the worst period of my chaotic life.

At these times, I was just buying kits.

The shooting was my secong passion, today, it is  too expensive and I have a house to repair and kids too take care of.

I was at the shooting twice per week at least, My favourite ans most used was a Colt Anaconda, 4 inches barrelled, and stainless !

So, as annoying as it is, pick up your airbrush, jars and thinners and get in !

We're looking forward to see that Seafire, As I told it to you, I've got 2 F.17 that must go on...

Have a very nice day.

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 2

Well well. There appears to have been a slightly unannounced forum system update - at least that what the page claimed - now everyone's 'likes' have vanished everywhere. No bad thing in my opinion, but curious nonetheless.

On July 28, 2017 at 7:14 AM, AlexN said:

Thank you very much, Grant. Me too - although it is right at the bottom of the heap, since the very thought of Hasegawa's Big MistakeTM makes me seethe with fury. I have a bit of expensive aftermarket for this - Eduard colour-etch and Aires cockpit sets, I think.

Your avatar picture looks very familiar - I spent several happy hours snapping away at what I think is that very aircraft over at Scone. It even looks like the same hangar. 

Alex, I am fortunate enough to possess one of John Aeros fuselage corrections for that weirdly mismanaged kit. 

Yes, that is the Pay Air Services hangar. Visiting a distant inlaw at his workshop Nov 2011.  It was a stormy day with nothing flying and was given a Cook's tour. 

• Like 1

Hello Grant, I was there in September 2010 - a bithday present :).

Interesting about John Aero's Mk IX fuselage - pity he's scaling down his activities. I've made my bed with that particular kit, and I'll have to lie in it, as the saying goes. Or used to go. Don't hear it much these days.

On 31/07/2017 at 18:10, corsaircorp said:

Hello Alex,

May be an after party blues...

As virtual as it was the party with Percy, Lisa and the goat, gave me lots of laugh and relief, almost like a real one in fact.

SWMBO was irritated because I get on the PC with regularity... Just like a real one, I told you.

Modelling is the thing that keep me in a sort of sense of sanity ! Even at the worst period of my chaotic life.

At these times, I was just buying kits.

The shooting was my secong passion, today, it is  too expensive and I have a house to repair and kids too take care of.

I was at the shooting twice per week at least, My favourite ans most used was a Colt Anaconda, 4 inches barrelled, and stainless !

So, as annoying as it is, pick up your airbrush, jars and thinners and get in !

We're looking forward to see that Seafire, As I told it to you, I've got 2 F.17 that must go on...

Have a very nice day.

Sincerely.

CC

Thank you CC :). As regards picking up the airbrush - that is all, literally, that I have ever done with it. I have never used it (them - I have two, an Aztek 470 and an Iwata HP-BH(?)). The last time that I used an airbrush was in late August 1973...

As I've no doubt said in the Seafire thread (and more than once, knowing me), the two main things that put me off using airbrushes are cleaning them, and thinning the paint. I have read far to many horror stories in both cases on BM since coming back to the hobby, and they have completely put me off. A hairy stick is much, much simpler - even if it doesn't give a nice smooth airbrushed finish. Sadly, modern paints appear to be formulated for airbrushing, not brush brushing, which reults in my model parts looking as though they,e deen dipped in mud. Very thick, gritty mud.

Mr Tiger informs me that LifeColor paints brush well - of course, they are the one brand that I don't have in my collection. Or Mr. Paint, but I haven't seen them sold over here, and I suspect that they wouldn't be able to be airmailed.

Airbrushing also requires a certain amount of planning: something which I am singularly bad at.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Life color will be brushed easily,

I brushed Xtracrylics too, even Alclad (Not easy at all

Vallejo air is not easy to brush, it is not made for but....

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 2

On 25/07/2017 at 0:03 PM, TonyTiger66 said:

30302553923_615f6cd656_b.jpg

:crying:

CIMG3436_1.jpg

:shocked:

CIMG3437_1.jpg

Yours in a dark, quiet room

TonyT

Aaaaarrrgh my eyes, the horror. Why would you post such traumatic plastic neglect.;)

On 31/07/2017 at 2:34 AM, AlexN said:

I think I'll just sit here and rust. Or not.

The latter please. ^_^

come on guys, this shelf of doom thingy is just madness, easy way around it is you can't start another kit until you finish the one you're on.  Maybe I could do therapy sessions? :christmas: or maybe I might just slip out the side door.  *turns, runs, trips over cape. X

• Like 4

Here's Mr. Paint at BNA Alex:

https://www.bnamodelworld.com/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&categories_id=956&search_in_description=0&keyword=Mr paint&inc_subcat=0

:yahoo:

I have three bottles so far. There's a fascinating looking  'dissolved putty' product in their range that I'd like to try too.

Last year I was getting good results with Hataka paints through the airbrush, as long as I used Hataka thinner, which works rather well for most acrylic paints.

Hataka have just launched a set of paints specifically formulated for brush painting.

Here's a useful one:

https://www.bnamodelworld.com/hataka-hobby-htk-bs07-acrylic-paint-set-wwii-royal-air-force-camouflage-17ml-x-6-blue-line-series

With Hataka just remember 'B for Brush', i.e. the 'Blue line' paints.

I'm not on commission for any of these manufacturers....

I haven't even mentioned that Italeri acrylics are good value and good for brush painting either, I'd better not mention it, it could be information overload. Heaven forbid, it might even encourage Mr. Alex to.......

Paint :D!!!!

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hello Johnny, another one to trip over this thread ;). I thought I'd kept it well hidden.

I hear you, O Wise and Sagacious One >snigger<, which is why I'm absolutely determined not to start anything new until I have 1., finished the Seafire and 2., finished the backlog. There's a reason why I started on the Seafire as my first BM build (in honour of a couple of very supportive BM members when I first arrived), but in hindsight - and I was warned by a number o' bods about that kit >shudder< - I bit off a bit a lot more than I could chew without going bonkers. Perhaps I need a bigger beak (like a pelican, whose beak can hold more than his belly can). Or not!

I admire your iron discipline. In my defence, however, I am trying to finish off the Skyfarer, which I started over 15 years ago, and that is soaking up a lot of time and effort at the moment. Especially the front working oleo leg...

Cheers,

Alex. :sheep: <-- not an oleo leg

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Here's Mr. Paint at BNA Alex:

33 minutes ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Hataka have just launched a set of paints specifically formulated for brush painting.

Here's a useful one:

Thanks, Tony!!! Um, Assoc Prof Dr Mrs Alex mightn't be too amused though, shhh!

Blasted Suckfari/WebQuit on iPad, aaargh. I read a plausible excuse on the YappleInsider forum the other day for why they haven't updated html 5 support since Steve Jobs died. It related to 'W3C not being able to decide what features they were going to include in official standards releases'. I say 'plausible' because, after some thought on the subject, it sounds like a complete excuse to me. There are common features thatbhave appeared throughout the web that Apple aren't supporting because - from my viewpoint - they are in a snit wi' W3C. Some are supported on maOS, hut not neraly, and many that aren't supportrd on iOS.

It'a all an unholy mess, and it's not as though they can't afford staff time to coordinate and integrate fixes, and across platforms. I have been a very long-term Apple supporter, since 1988, with a brief excursion elswhere at the height of Gil WossnMe's ill-starred reign, but I am getting seriously snippy about the Suckffari/WebQuit problem, and the real dumbing down of excellent UNIX-based OS X/ macOS. And it's true UNIX, not just a copy. The UNIX horsepower is still there, but the overlying UI and attendant APIs are becoming really problematic. The regression from iPhotos to Photos is a case in point. And as for their Behaviour ModificationTM spell-checker et alia, bah humbug.

I think that they have finally become infected with the greed and arrogance that made Microsoft such an abomination for so many decades. Steve Jobs could be rapidly rotating in his grave.

:rant: over ;).

I'm out o' 'likes' - oh, all right, you know what I mean - again, but consider your post 'liked' in absentia.

Cheers,

the alex. :sheep: <-- not an alex.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

Aaaaarrrgh my eyes, the horror. Why would you post such traumatic plastic neglect.;)

The latter please. ^_^

come on guys, this shelf of doom thingy is just madness, easy way around it is you can't start another kit until you finish the one you're on.  Maybe I could do therapy sessions? :christmas: or maybe I might just slip out the side door.  *turns, runs, trips over cape. X

There are more horrors than that Johnny. I have a box full of screaming part built kits. The Guantanamo Bay of my stash.

Sometimes they make it to the more 'select 'Drawer Of Limited Obvious Possibility'.

When at the bench, it is so close to me that I can hear their muffled cries. Every now again it becomes overpowering and one will be taken out and may be worked on for a whole afternoon :o!!

33514040296_74c7d67858_b.jpg

This old (raised panel lines) KP 1/72 Avia S-199 has been 'in progress' since 2003:

Old KP Avia S-199

Above and below is a little more filling and sanding it received in May of 2017

Avia S-199

Then it went back into the Drawer Of Limited Obvious Possibility.

There are a lot of Bf 109 shaped things in there, but the screams of the FROG Firefly are the ones that tempt me to release it the most.

:worry:

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

:) in re of 'like' ;) 

Ah, Firefly, one o' my avourties, and sadly only represented in my collection by the truly bubonic Airfix 1/72 kit.

Whick mark? My favourite is the V.

C, A.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TonyTiger66 said:

There are more horrors than that Johnny. I have a box full of screaming part built kits. The Guantanamo Bay of my stash.

Sometimes they make it to the more 'select 'Drawer Of Limited Obvious Possibility'.

When at the bench, it is so close to me that I can hear their muffled cries. Every now again it becomes overpowering and one will be taken out and may be worked on for a whole afternoon :o!!

33514040296_74c7d67858_b.jpg

This old (raised panel lines) KP 1/72 Avia S-199 has been 'in progress' since 2003:

Old KP Avia S-199

Above and below is a little more filling and sanding it received in May of 2017

Avia S-199

Then it went back into the Drawer Of Limited Obvious Possibility.

There are a lot of Bf 109 shaped things in there, but the screams of the FROG Firefly are the ones that tempt me to release it the most.

:worry:

Best regards

TonyT

Arrrrgh no more, please!!!!! It's like one of those adverts where there is pictured a mistreated donkey or dog. ^_^

• Haha 3

OK, here's some snaps of an object from my Shelf o' Doooom: the retracting noseleg form my 88" twin-engined Let L-200D Morava drawn by Duncan Hutson (which I've previously always known until I looked up the Wikipedia page for it, as the 'Morava L-200 D'). This is as far as I have got with this wee beastie - and it was somebody else doing the very fine work. Yout can tell, can't you :). I was originally going to power it with a pair of OS Engines .52 four-strokes (I loathe tiny two-strokes with a passion), but may have to convert it to electric if I want to fly it anywhere other than way out in the country as special scale meetings.

I actually dug it up out of storage because I need to copy steal some ideas from it for my Skyfarer noseleg - which is why I'm getting the little lathe back into service (eventually; 'These things take time, Minister' :waiting: :wicked:).

Why put this here on BM? Coz, it's Shelf o' Dooooom, you sillies ;). I had better be careful in case I get my thread :locked: and me :banned: ...

Hopefully this will pacify Johnny, since it is in almost pristine condition apart from a few spots of rust on the non-stainless steel bits (not bad for around 20 years' storage :analintruder:)

1. L-200 D retracting noseleg, made for me by Custom Retracts

36278802526_8550f326c5_b.jpg

Closer-up view of the noseleg retract by Alex1N, on Flickr

2. Side view of the nosewheel saddle and torque link. The scribbles are my initial enlargement 'drawing' for the Skyfarer noseleg, taken straight off the original plan. 'Shelf o' Dooom! Shelf o' Dooom!' Hopefully not.

35926443950_be76dfd542_b.jpg

Side view of the nosewheel saddle and torque link by Alex1N, on Flickr

3. Retract, um, retracted

35486552684_320482a0b5_b.jpg

Retract, um, retracted by Alex1N, on Flickr

Nice :). I must get onto that one day - when I've finished the Skyfarer! There are more snaps up on Flickr, here since the Morava now has its own Flickr album ;). There's a pair of mains, too, but they are not at all scale like because of the very unusual, bordering on weird, scissor-like nature of the legs themselves. The noseleg is the most visible in any case, and a characteristic of the plane on the ground.

Hope you all enjoyed that, I like a bit of 'metal' in the morning :)...

Well, it's not 'strictly metal, it's punk, but it has lots of crashy guitars and screaming and stuff, which sort-of puts it into the Metal category. First brought to my attention recently by someone on someone's thread, I can't find out either but when I do I will somewhat cruelly put the name and number >in this placeholder here< :frantic:

Cheers,

Alex. :sheep:  <-- not a Metal band. Or a hose clamp.

Edited by AlexN
STUPID, STUPID ipad, aaaargh!
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Arrrrgh no more, please!!!!! It's like one of those adverts where there is pictured a mistreated donkey or dog. ^_^

Hello Spad,

My working method is different !:huh:

When I start to feel bored by Something on a kit, usually painting or massive sanding...

I start Something else, or if I feel myself induced by a building on BM ...

And so on ! My friend ask me for some inquiries about a kit I have.

I picked it up in my stock aaaaand sometimes, I start it !

Simple, But I thank you all folks, since I'm on BM, I finished some kits :yahoo:

At a point that my little personal MASDC is dryin' up now...

I really like BM, that's also my start up to get once in Telford !

30 yeras that I say "I'll get up there one day !"

To me modelling is and must stay fun, so why get bored ?? and finally let all the stuff down ?

Nonetheless, I admire your auto discipline, and as I say in another thread about therapy, my shrink has commited a suicide SHHHHH ! :mental:

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 2

20 hours ago, AlexN said:

OK, here's some snaps of an object from my Shelf o' Doooom: the retracting noseleg form my 88" twin-engined Let L-200D Morava drawn by Duncan Hutson (which I've previously always known until I looked up the Wikipedia page for it, as the 'Morava L-200 D'). This is as far as I have got with this wee beastie - and it was somebody else doing the very fine work. Yout can tell, can't you :). I was originally going to power it with a pair of OS Engines .52 four-strokes (I loathe tiny two-strokes with a passion), but may have to convert it to electric if I want to fly it anywhere other than way out in the country as special scale meetings.

I actually dug it up out of storage because I need to copy steal some ideas from it for my Skyfarer noseleg - which is why I'm getting the little lathe back into service (eventually; 'These things take time, Minister' :waiting: :wicked:).

Why put this here on BM? Coz, it's Shelf o' Dooooom, you sillies ;). I had better be careful in case I get my thread :locked: and me :banned: ...

Hopefully this will pacify Johnny, since it is in almost pristine condition apart from a few spots of rust on the non-stainless steel bits (not bad for around 20 years' storage :analintruder:)

1. L-200 D retracting noseleg, made for me by Custom Retracts

36278802526_8550f326c5_b.jpg

Closer-up view of the noseleg retract by Alex1N, on Flickr

2. Side view of the nosewheel saddle and torque link. The scribbles are my initial enlargement 'drawing' for the Skyfarer noseleg, taken straight off the original plan. 'Shelf o' Dooom! Shelf o' Dooom!' Hopefully not.

35926443950_be76dfd542_b.jpg

Side view of the nosewheel saddle and torque link by Alex1N, on Flickr

3. Retract, um, retracted

35486552684_320482a0b5_b.jpg

Retract, um, retracted by Alex1N, on Flickr

Nice :). I must get onto that one day - when I've finished the Skyfarer! There are more snaps up on Flickr, here since the Morava now has its own Flickr album ;). There's a pair of mains, too, but they are not at all scale like because of the very unusual, bordering on weird, scissor-like nature of the legs themselves. The noseleg is the most visible in any case, and a characteristic of the plane on the ground.

Hope you all enjoyed that, I like a bit of 'metal' in the morning :)...

Well, it's not 'strictly metal, it's punk, but it has lots of crashy guitars and screaming and stuff, which sort-of puts it into the Metal category. First brought to my attention recently by someone on someone's thread, I can't find out either but when I do I will somewhat cruelly put the name and number >in this placeholder here< :frantic:

Cheers,

Alex. :sheep:  <-- not a Metal band. Or a hose clamp.

Very nice job Alex,

That's a flying model I suppose ?

A thing that I did'nt dare to get in, tons of working hours crashed in a second ....

Brrrr Frightening !

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

Yes, a flying model. And yes, hours of work gone in the blink of an eye, even with competent and experienced pilots. Part of the challenge, I suppose. All it takes is a servo to quit at the wrong moment, or a tiny lapse in concentration and...

Having said that, I have so far 'crashed' every single scale model that I've tried to build while I have been building them.

And I must stress that those undercarriage units were not made by me - I wish! - but by a chap called Peter Gow who ran a business called Custom Retracts. He has apparently retired, but he sold the business on, like CedB, and it is still going.

Cheers,

Alex.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As for what I've been up to for about the last 2 weeks, all my efforts have merely resulted in this:

1. Baseplate for TAIG microlathe

<placeholder for snap because of the uselessness of the Flickr interface on ipad Suckfari. AAAAARGH!!! :wall: >.

OK, here it is:

36158266812_c07f7706af_b.jpg

Lathe plate with its third - and final? - topcoat by Alex1N, on Flickr

Flickr's lazy programmers need a really hard kick up the bottom. :badmood: That 'BBCode' text field has been incompetently programmed :wall: - scrolling isn't possible even on the iMac, but at least there one can select the entire string. As for Suckfari's even lazier programmers... I don't buy any of that 'It's W3C's fault' claptrap. :rant:

Still, that non-picture is representative of my non-work, so I dare say that it reflects reality quite accurately.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1