A jumble o' kits from The Shelf o' Doooom

This is at the moment merely a placeholder for a pile o' kits what have been languishing untouched for around a decade. I will get to these once I have finished with the accursèd Pavla Seafire, rot its socks.

Kits include:

Hasegawa 1/72 FW 190 A-7 'Oesau' w/Eduard etch - almost complete;

Tamiya 1/48 FW 190 A-3 'OOB' - almost complete but the dihedral is crook so it needs to be pulled apart...;

Hasegawa 1/32 Me 163 - early stages but with Milliput filler in cockpit to fill in the gaping pressure-releasing holes;

Airfix 1/24 FW 190 A-5 - early stages but radial engine banks glued together;

Hasegawa Misubishi J2M3 Type 21 Raiden w/Eduard PE set and Squadron canopy (? - might be for J2M5 Type 33 wot I also have an untouched kit of) -  cockpit more or less completed but some PE levers unaccounted for recently on a quick checking o' box contents, relevant surfaces painted in Gunze 'Mr.Hobby(?) 'aotake';

Hasegawa 1/48 Spifire 'Mk IXc' - NOT! Fuselage cut into lots of tiny pieces prior to adding plasticard inserts to turn fuselage from a Mk V(?) to Mk XI per instructions on Hyperscale. Earliest of the kits started, and bumped to the bottom of the queue by those listed above, a collection of ICM Mk IX/VIII/VII/XVIs ans the recent Eduard IXe 'late version' (resin an PE acquired for this abomination, too;

ICM 1/48 Bf 109 F (or K?) - end-opening box converted to top-opener and bits missing, some engine parts glued up;

Accurate Miniatures 1/48 P 51-A: partially painted cocpit but attack w/ various thinners to remove the 'orrible lumpy paint job >shudder<;

Tamiya 1/35 Land Rover 7 Ambulance - getting close to completion, but not appropriate to this a/c thread so this little 1976 gem will appear somewhere in BM's AFV section. Probably.

I have the sneaking suspicion that I have missed some (started) kits, but can't remember what they might be.

Realistically, the most appropriate kits for this kit are the smaller FWs. The Raiden is worthy of its own thread, given that (I think that) it's a really nice kit, and that it is a relatively stage in its 'construction' (I'm not known as the 'Fumble Fingered Fool' for nuffin'). And the Land Rover.

The rest? Hmmm, well, there's always

:dalek1:and :mg: and :boom:.

Cheers,

Alex. [   ] Sheep is in his byre and won't come out: says it's too cold even with his thick woolly winter coat. :shrug: 

Edited by AlexN
Really STUPID typos
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, AlexN said:

the accursèd Pavla Seafire, rot its socks.

In my case substitute A-Model An-22.

3 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

So glad it's not just me...

That's three of us then.

• Like 1

Hello Chaps,

Thank you all for responding - I truly was not expecting anyone to notice this thread sneak in.

So it's not just me, either - and thus makes four :).

Scimitar - I was in Dunoon a whisker over 12 months ago, as we were staying with my wife's aunt who lives in Sandbank opposite the yacht club, with lovely views over the Loch to Kilmun and the Arboretum. Her family used to build boats in Sandbank, being friends and competitors with Robertson's. I remember one particular Dunoon shop window which had a stack of Airfix kits in it - it took me right back to my childhood! Kits don't generally appear in stationer's windows these days - if in fact one can even find an old style stationer's. I loved Dunoon/Sandbak/Holy Loch, and had to be dragged home kicking and screaming. I loved the Highlands too, as part of our holiday took us up to Skye to meet a boat builder. It would be pretty cold in winter, though.

The P 51 actually suffered the same fate as I am threatening for the 190 A-3: it was more or less ready for priming and top coats, and I pulled it to bits completely. I can't remember why I did that, either - too long ago, I suspect. Probably the lumpy paint, though.

It's a pattern: I've dismantled part-built large scale R/C fuselages because of percieved structural defects, and my poor 1/10 electric Tiggie had the leading edges of all four wings removed to convert the aerofoil from Clark Y-ish to the original RAF-15 aerofoil. I recently pulled the General Aircraft Skyfarer fuselage that I am currently working on apart because it was crooked; and bits of the wing, but that last was because the accursèd glue that I was using ('Super Phatic', shudder, never again) let go.

It's a bit of a pest, all this pulling to pieces - most of it comes about from being far too impatient for a result. All - well, most of - the problems  that I'm having with the Seafire have been caused by impatience. Or getting some tiny part caught in the sleeve of my jumper, which garment then transfers the part to the salivating jaws of the floor monster. I suspect that the two are cousins at the very least.

As to newly-appearing models: they now go in a cupboard or under or behind the bench where I can't see 'em. Out of sight, out of mind - works a treat. Best of all is to avoid review sites. My addiction to  Hyperscale and PMMS was responsible for vast numbers of the blasted things (kits).

In other news, I just got a new glass for my creaking old iPad, to replace the one that got broken last year and was just starting to fall out -  and in. Much better :).

Cheers,

Alex.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, AlexN said:

who lives in Sandbank opposite the yacht club,

I'm about 3/4 a mile along the road in the ex US Navy houses.

Next time you pop over (:)) let me know and I'll pack the shelf of doom for you to take back.

• Like 1

I'll certainly give you a hoy next time we're over, which looks as though will be at the end of year - in time to enjoy the nice freezing Scottish lowland winter... I like catching trying to catch up with people I meet over the internet - which is something of a rarity as I never seem able to do so.

Cheers,

Alex.

• Like 1

Thread found :).

Another guilty party. A stash so horribly embarrassing it is marooned in another city. A huge BoD (Box of Doom) and BoB (Box of things that I think are no good anymore) :confused: 

I read another thread recently that made me feel a bit better about all this 'never completing'.   It was argued that for people like me, that's what the hobby is for. That's what we enjoy.

Starting a kit, fettling a bit, then at a certain stage we reach the bit that's not fun; finishing. No ones judging us at home (apart from our wives, significant others, extended family, friends, kids, stepkids, their friends and partners and, if we do a WIP, the whole planet via the internet), so, what we do with our bits of plastic, should be just exactly what we enjoy.

Any thoughts :hmmm: 

Whilst in the therapy area;

"My names Tony and I keep kits that are smashed and beyond all redemption and tell myself:

"One day I'll fix that up :)

No matter how worthless they are.

What should I do Mr. Doctor in the white coat."

If anyone else does this and would like to show and tell, it might make us all feel better.

Here's an example of the kind of thing I save, that Mrs. T. would love to be able to throw away:

:undecided:

30302553923_615f6cd656_b.jpg

Then there's things that are permanently being repaired, then accidentally dropped or trodden on time and time again:

:crying:

CIMG3436_1.jpg

:shocked:

CIMG3437_1.jpg

Am I alone in this lunacy?

Yours in a dark, quiet room

TonyT

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

Ah ha! Mr Tiger :). You tracked this one down finally. Welcome - not sure where this thread is going to go.

Maybe I should get a Mod to move it to 'Chat'. Perhaps a few snaps of mine would alter that.

Mrs Alex would say "Bin them! Bin them ALL!", referring to your puir wee beasties above, whereas I would, of course, say "Keep them! KEEP them ALL!" ;). That's why I still have the venerable Airfix Chippie perched above the Bench o' Doooom. Nothing much can be done with it, although Mr Fritag might disagree. Nothing much that I can do with it, that is, but I can't bring myself to chuck it. Similarly, there's an Airfix Tiggie in bits about the place, although I haven't seen the fragments for some time and suspect the fell hand of Mrs A in there somewhere. I am probably being unfair there, though.

When I was a kid I used to stick small firecrackers in fuselages of models that I had either become tired of or wanted to see what would happen. That sort of activity was restricted to around the Queen's Birthday holiday in June: Nov 5 had to be knocked on the head after too many bushires were started, then not at all when the sale of crackers and related things was banned completely - except in the Australian Capital Territory, foe some very peculiar reason. The final banning was brought about by too many kids blowing up themselves, letter boxes and even animals. Sad but true.

That black thing looks suspiciously like a Martin Maryland, although it appears to be a little on the plumpish side for that type. Maybe it's a perspective thing with a wide-angle phone lens. It also looks like something retrieved  from the bottom of a lake after 70 years down there.  Now there's a potential diorama and you wouldn't have to worry about doing anything further to the plane :).

Apart from (unbuilt) kits, the things that I keep are generally things that can be used for at least one or hopefully more types of modelling. Mrs Alex would LOVE to see that little lot gone! Having said that, most of it is squirrellled away out in the shed - out o' sight, out o' mind. And the kits live down in the lockup, off-site. Well, most of them. I am starting to run out of space again here, though.

Cheers,

Alex.

• Like 2

And I thought I was bad! Interesting mix of models, I'll be keeping an eye on this, nice feeling finally finishing a model that's been languishing on the shelf for some time.

• Like 2

Ooops. Apologies Alex, a small bout of brain flatulence; I thought it was in the chat area :sorry: .

It would be good to have a chat thread where we show/talk about our 'almost built' models and associated hoarding :).

I like how you referred to the 'fragments' of the Airfix Tiggie; I think I know exactly what you mean.

We could have a poll on which one of yours from your list in the first post, that we would like to see finished the most.

Then again, it could result in modelling purgatory for you. Internet votes tend to be notoriously divisive. 

The black model is a 1/72 'ZTS' brand PZL 37 Łos. It cost me all of around £2 around 15 years ago. At one point before the photo it had accidentaly been trodden on, split more or less in half.

I like your idea about the lake diorama :thumbsup2: . It gives me ideas about 'Pacific wrecks' dioramas too. Although not involving a PZL 37.

The firecracker thing seems a common activity. Setting aircraft on fire and throwing them out of the bedroom window was another personal favourite :jump_fire:.

Those floaty, smelly, oily bits of black stuff floating in the bedroom atmosphere afterwards were a little unpleasant, it has to be said.

I'm intrigued by your Land Rover Alex, that would be my vote from the list :).

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 4

I think in a way I am quite fortunate in that my shelf of doom is fairly small. An Italeri Hudson that is is mostly together, but stalled for about eight years as I forgot about it after an illness and it is not a great kit anyway. From two years ago I have a Magna Marathon and an A Model Hector that I stopped building out of irritation and frustration. These are up for finishing as they are quite far along and I have worked out how to deal with the problem areas. My main problem is the size of my stash. 

• Like 3

Hello Dears,

Hello Dear Tony, seemingly, I'll be a little bit more lunatic, I cannot qualify my shelf as a shelf of doom,

let's tell sleeping not too beautifull kingdom.

My champion is the Monogram A-10, started in 1987, dismantled, rebiuild, re-dismantled, resin added and so on !

I'll finish her one day ! promised !

I think that we are about all in that way, more or less, and if not, it is reassuring to think so !

You're not alone my friend.

WP_20170413_12_20_19_Pro

WP_20170328_12_57_08_Pro

Sorry, must have a look at Percy.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 5

6 hours ago, AlexN said:

Ah ha! Mr Tiger :). You tracked this one down finally. Welcome - not sure where this thread is going to go.

Maybe I should get a Mod to move it to 'Chat'. Perhaps a few snaps of mine would alter that.

Mrs Alex would say "Bin them! Bin them ALL!", referring to your puir wee beasties above, whereas I would, of course, say "Keep them! KEEP them ALL!" ;). That's why I still have the venerable Airfix Chippie perched above the Bench o' Doooom. Nothing much can be done with it, although Mr Fritag might disagree. Nothing much that I can do with it, that is, but I can't bring myself to chuck it. Similarly, there's an Airfix Tiggie in bits about the place, although I haven't seen the fragments for some time and suspect the fell hand of Mrs A in there somewhere. I am probably being unfair there, though.

When I was a kid I used to stick small firecrackers in fuselages of models that I had either become tired of or wanted to see what would happen. That sort of activity was restricted to around the Queen's Birthday holiday in June: Nov 5 had to be knocked on the head after too many bushires were started, then not at all when the sale of crackers and related things was banned completely - except in the Australian Capital Territory, foe some very peculiar reason. The final banning was brought about by too many kids blowing up themselves, letter boxes and even animals. Sad but true.

That black thing looks suspiciously like a Martin Maryland, although it appears to be a little on the plumpish side for that type. Maybe it's a perspective thing with a wide-angle phone lens. It also looks like something retrieved  from the bottom of a lake after 70 years down there.  Now there's a potential diorama and you wouldn't have to worry about doing anything further to the plane :).

Apart from (unbuilt) kits, the things that I keep are generally things that can be used for at least one or hopefully more types of modelling. Mrs Alex would LOVE to see that little lot gone! Having said that, most of it is squirrellled away out in the shed - out o' sight, out o' mind. And the kits live down in the lockup, off-site. Well, most of them. I am starting to run out of space again here, though.

Cheers,

Alex.

Hello Alex,

Wherever this thread will go, you've got a good idea.

Thanks for sharing.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 2

I used to shoot my "unfinished" models with an airgun, then glue the bits back together, shoot them again, etc, etc. I think it was my Mum's fault....she was a Scot....

TT I know exactly what you mean about the little floaty black bits. Occasionally a model or two would "catch fire"and I'd bomb ants nests with the little fiery drops....

Aah, memories!

Ian

• Like 5

8 hours ago, limeypilot said:

I used to shoot my "unfinished" models with an airgun, then glue the bits back together, shoot them again, etc, etc. I think it was my Mum's fault....she was a Scot....

TT I know exactly what you mean about the little floaty black bits. Occasionally a model or two would "catch fire"and I'd bomb ants nests with the little fiery drops....

Aah, memories!

Ian

Oh my word :D!

:mg:

:jump_fire:

I'm glad it wasn't just me; I've been wondering if I should tell a shrink for about 40 years! :mental: 

We of a certain age were probably influenced by things like the 'feel' of war that was still around. Every Friday my school would test the siren; the same siren that was used in WWII to warn of air raids.

My grandparents  still had the remnants of an air raid shelter in the garden.

There were lots of war movies on TV and we had comics like Victor (superb) and Valiant, Commando books.

It Probably just having our own little war movies with our kits and air guns, cap guns and firecrackers etc.

Back on Topic it would be good to see pictures of Alex's 'Jumble 'o' kits'.

Cc's photo shows something spookily familiar in terms of 'shelf of (not quite) doom' :)!

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 3

So many replies! I'm not sure where to start, what with the fact that I'm tapping away on the ipad, or 'jab slab' as The Baron so poetically puts it. So maybe I'll leave replies until I'm back at the machine-with-a-mouse (squeak) in the morning. Or your evening. Or whenever...

I'll also dig around and put up some snaps. They will all be old ones that have appeared elsewhere here on BM: I'm quite keen on recycling as well as collecting and not throwing out, magpie that I am.

Warble warble,

Alex.

• Like 3

Thank you all for your comments.

On 26/07/2017 at 04:30, TonyTiger66 said:

Ooops. Apologies Alex, a small bout of brain flatulence; I thought it was in the chat area :sorry: .

Please don't aplogise, Mr Tiger - any comment from you is welcome :)

On 26/07/2017 at 01:40, Blitz23 said:

And I thought I was bad! Interesting mix of models, I'll be keeping an eye on this, nice feeling finally finishing a model that's been languishing on the shelf for some time.

That's what I'm aiming for, Blitz23

On 26/07/2017 at 04:56, Martin T said:

I think in a way I am quite fortunate in that my shelf of doom is fairly small. An Italeri Hudson that is is mostly together, but stalled for about eight years as I forgot about it after an illness and it is not a great kit anyway. From two years ago I have a Magna Marathon and an A Model Hector that I stopped building out of irritation and frustration. These are up for finishing as they are quite far along and I have worked out how to deal with the problem areas. My main problem is the size of my stash. 

You and me both...

On 26/07/2017 at 05:09, corsaircorp said:

Hello Dears,

Hello Dear Tony, seemingly, I'll be a little bit more lunatic, I cannot qualify my shelf as a shelf of doom,

let's tell sleeping not too beautifull kingdom.

My champion is the Monogram A-10, started in 1987, dismantled, rebiuild, re-dismantled, resin added and so on !

I'll finish her one day ! promised !

I think that we are about all in that way, more or less, and if not, it is reassuring to think so !

You're not alone my friend.

WP_20170413_12_20_19_Pro

Sorry, must have a look at Percy.

That is indeed some Shelf o' Doom! I must rty harder ;)

I trust that Percy - and the goat - are recovering...

On 26/07/2017 at 05:11, corsaircorp said:

Hello Alex,

Wherever this thread will go, you've got a good idea.

Thanks for sharing.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

See my next post for snaps of 'Shelf' contents...

On 26/07/2017 at 07:18, Murdo said:

I have to admit that posts like this make me feel sooooo much better and remove soooo much guilt!         :D 

Glad to be of service., Murdo :)

On 26/07/2017 at 08:31, limeypilot said:

Aah, memories!

Ian

Ah, same here! I have no Scottish blood in me as far as I know - mostly bog-standard Mid-Western/South-Western England. And of course I had a lovely setting fire to plastic runners when stretching them over a candle flame and getting too close for too long...which in turn led to setting the models - particularly twin-engined German bombers - alight, etc., etc.

On 26/07/2017 at 17:16, TonyTiger66 said:

Oh my word :D!

:mg:

:jump_fire:

I'm glad it wasn't just me; I've been wondering if I should tell a shrink for about 40 years! :mental: 

We of a certain age were probably influenced by things like the 'feel' of war that was still around. Every Friday my school would test the siren; the same siren that was used in WWII to warn of air raids.

My grandparents  still had the remnants of an air raid shelter in the garden.

There were lots of war movies on TV and we had comics like Victor (superb) and Valiant, Commando books.

It Probably just having our own little war movies with our kits and air guns, cap guns and firecrackers etc.

Back on Topic it would be good to see pictures of Alex's 'Jumble 'o' kits'.

Cc's photo shows something spookily familiar in terms of 'shelf of (not quite) doom' :)!

Best regards

TonyT

I agree about the proximity of the war - especially when films like Battle of Britain appeared on its 30th anniversary (more or less) and a plethora of kits followed in its wake. Not to mention that the Vietnam war was in full swing and rather too close for many an unfortunate Oz youth, and the Korean war had only relatively subsided...and there was the overarching Cold War to boot.

I had a number of 'Commando' comics - under the bed because my mum severely disapproved. Whe wasn't too keen oon the models, but that may have been because they were a sever distraction from my schoolwork.

OK. I'm off to hunt done some half-way acceptable snaps of my recent Shelf o' Dooooom victims.

By the way, is it just me or do other people not like the new emoticons as much as the old ones either? The new ones - in the main - seem rather too flabby, amorphous and sentimentalised. :rant: <-- good ol' Version 3 emoticon :)

Cheers,

Alex. :sheep: <-- not on the Shelf o' Doom - but he could be :unsure:

• Like 3

Apologies for the various snippages in quotes in the previous post, just trying to reclaim a bit of fast-vanishing real estate.

OK, on to the snaps of the SoD victims. These are all (mostly) cribbed from my ill-omened and ill-fated introductory thread, but in fact also live in one of my Flickr albums, for cunningly convenient access:

1. Airfix 1/72 DHC-1 Chipmunk - minus propeller and all U/C parts - MIA

20485805448_599cc4bd2f_b.jpg

Airfix 1/72 DHC-1 Chipmunk by Alex1N, on Flickr

2. I keep quite a few things in old shoe boxes - very handy for the Shelf o' Doom. Keeps things in a semblance  of order, even if there is no order present in reality... There are several kits represented in this one box alone

20051295204_310ac96815_b.jpg

I keep quite a few things in old shoe boxes by Alex1N, on Flickr

3. As well as the Chippie, there's a Hasegawa 1/32 Me 163 and Airfix 1/24 Fw 190 A. The small snap-lid food container in the previous snap contained small parts for various kits 

20673877375_c607d2fd01_b.jpg

Hasegawa 1/32 Me 163 and Airfix 1/24 Fw 190 A by Alex1N, on Flickr

4. Close-up of Me 163 cockpit. Note the Milliput filler, shaved back with a no. 10 Swann Morton scalpel blade - my favourite! - to the shape of the rear bulkhead, to get rid of the yawning chasms in a pressurised, sealed cockpit.... Also note that I no longer take the time or make the effort to get the bule cardboard out for snaps: for one thing, there ins't enough room in my New Plastic Modelling Environment

20485890910_2201b1e620_b.jpg

Close-up of Me 163 cockpit by Alex1N, on Flickr

5. Tamiya 1/48 Fw 190 A3. OOB, this is the one that will require its wing to be removed to correct a risible dihedral imbalance

20053842093_3a211d2146_b.jpg

Tamiya 1/48 Fw 190 A3 by Alex1N, on Flickr

6. Spitfire Mk II's eye view of the Tamiya 190. Sort of. Maybe... Probably would have been the other way around and not long for this world, around the time when the 190 As first appeared over the Channel and slaughtered the suddenly-inadequate Spits in large numbers. This isn't quite OOB - I made a resin copy of the canopy handwheel mechanism (visible on RHS of cockpit, just aft of the windshield) as a practise run for other things. It's the resin wheel that's in this wee beastie. This model may also have a set of MDC 1/48 German rudder pedals in it, too

20681552751_d2210cdf94_b.jpg

View from behind, 1/48 Fw 190 by Alex1N, on Flickr

7. 1/48 Fw 190 ventral surfaces, and an attempt to fill in gap between the wing and fuselage (one of several)

20052326944_10347fde0b_b.jpg

1/48 Fw 190 ventral surfaces by Alex1N, on Flickr

8. Revell 1/32 EC-135 - initial tooling. Revell came out with a much better kit recently, with separate rear clam-shell doors and a number of other refinements. After I had amassed a rather silly number of these kits in my collection. Note the converted box. On the Shelf while I complete some of others in the queue: I'm not looking forward to cutting the clam-shell doors off, I have to say

20487294139_ef62f5a098_b.jpg

1/32 EC-135 kit contents by Alex1N, on Flickr

9. Hasegawa 1/72 Fw 190 A7 - as you can see 'nearly finished', what with the almost-empty Eduard PE fret and all. Again, note the neat little parts container

20665677762_99ac7ba789_b.jpg

Hasegawa 1/72 Fw 190 A7 - Box contents (sort of) by Alex1N, on Flickr

10. Attempt to snap the 1/72 190's cockpit interior. This is actually the best of said attempts, including some recent ones, and including those of the quite-a-bit-larger Tamiya A-3 

20486969530_9be4e753a5_b.jpg

Attempt to snap the 1/72 190's cockpit interior by Alex1N, on Flickr

11. Closer-up view of the little 190 A-7 box and its contents. Note that the Eduard detail set replaces the majority of the kit cockpit, including the tub. I think that the seat, gunsight and control column are the only things remaining of the original. Note also the flap on the right. Apologies for the poor focussing

20675030665_25182660e0_b.jpg

Closer-up view of the little box and its contents by Alex1N, on Flickr

12. Classic Airframes 1/48 P-51 A Mustang - almost-current box contents. Since the snap was taken I have made a number of rather laughable attempts to the move the extremely tenacious Gunze lacquer. I think that IPA was the most successful. the extra fuselage halves are from the ICM (shameless knock-off of the Tamiya?) P-51 B 

20683151231_e4dcd0a05f_b.jpg

Classic Airframes 1/48 P-51A Mustang - Box contents by Alex1N, on Flickr

13. 'Painted' cockpit sides. Note the broken instrument panel: the original glue used was most tenacious. I still can't remember exactly why I dismembered the poor thing, but I'm pretty sure that it was simply that I didn't like the painting. Although there might have been a careless wing-assembly event involved too... As you can see very clearly, unthinned Gunze lacquer doesn't  brush well at all, at all. Not by me, at any rate

20667236172_06c352cb3e_b.jpg

'Painted' cockpit sides by Alex1N, on Flickr

14. Hasegawa 1/48 Mitsubishi J2M3 Raiden, main cockpit parts painted and assembled. My favourite. Note that a side-wall console has fallen off (hopefully stored in one of my little snap-lid food containers). Said console's lever knobs were made '3D' by careful addition of blobs of Humbrol gloss white paint: quite successful, but not as satisfyingly neat as Mr Heath's patented solder-blobbing technique. Levers and knobs not shown here

20489822009_538d0d75af_b.jpg

Main cockpit parts painted and assembled by Alex1N, on Flickr

15. Raiden instrument panel parts seen under the Squadron canopy for this specific kit. Once again, apologies for the wonky colour balance - and poor focus - of this snap

20488765510_c01b36fe07_b.jpg

J2M3 instrument panel parts seen under the Squadron canopy by Alex1N, on Flickr

16. Eduard PE Raiden engine-cooling fan with its blades gently curled with the handle of my mounted needle. It currently lives in...

20488524608_4188c1f2c7_b.jpg

Eduard etched engine fan from their set for the J2M3 by Alex1N, on Flickr

17. ...the snap-lid box that contains most of the rest of the Raiden bits, - and a 1/32 Hasegawa Me 262 headrest (eh?), plus the Chippie tailwheel (wot?). The fallen-off console can be seen bottom left: the kit part that it replaced is up at the top right. It's possible that the levers for the console are sandwiched 'twixt the pieces of Tamiya tape seen here, but I wouldn't bet on the probability of that, and I'm too scared to find out... The PU resin parts are torque-links from a kit that I can't identify but is most likely to be a Classic Airframes model. Or similar

20650261746_5c94c9308b_b.jpg
Another of my wittle boxes :) by Alex1N, on Flickr

This post has got to a rather silly length - 30 snaps and rising, so I've pruned the latter half and am posting this one. I'll add the prunings back into the next post...

• Like 3

Here's the 'remnants' of the above post., plus some more. I have continued the numbering from above as a cautionary tale...

18. Last but not nearly least: Tamiya 1/35 Land Rover 7 Ambulance - box contents, partially assembled. Another favourite :). The kit also comes with five figures including the driver, an officer-ish-looking type - maybe a British, sorry, Royal, Army (para)medic(?), two orderlies(?), an injured soldier, and a stretcher for him to be carted off on. Note the white dots, bottom right

20488804760_b8268a2a23_b.jpg

Tamiya 1/35 Land Rover 7 Ambulance - Box contents by Alex1N, on Flickr

19. Currently (snap taken in mid-August, 2015) finished or part-painted parts of the Land Rover ambulance laid out for view. Note that it was problems dealing with the white paint on almost-black dark green plastic that brought this build to a grinding halt. That, and a continually-snapping sterring column, which will be replaced at some point with a length of 1 mm Albion Alloys brass tubing. Note the Milliput: quite a lot needed on this model. Quite a bit went into some slots on the rooof - a mould-design feature by Tamiya to prevent distortion and sinking of the plastic under the canvas rolls moulded onto the roof. They could have moulded them separately, of course - as they did with the soldiers and many other finely-detailed parts. Oh well, can't have erverything, and it was good Milliputing practise...

20055873303_6ef4c9f71c_b.jpg

Currently (mid-August, '15) finished or part-painted parts arrayed out for view by Alex1N, on Flickr

20. Good grief, snap no. 20. Oh well. Chassis/front end of the (LWB) Land Rover ambulance. Note Mr Heath's DelightTM on the dashboard in front and to the right of the steering wheel. Note also the Milliput in the rear bumper bar

20683622031_dea2edc12a_b.jpg

Chassis/front end of (LWB) Land Rover ambulance by Alex1N, on Flickr

21. 21? Sheep :sheep: and lambs, etc. Land Rover front end, because it's my favourite. More filling needed on the front top part of the wings

20683639631_86295ec430_b.jpg

Land Rover front end by Alex1N, on Flickr

22. Front end again, with other bits. Note the Milliput, again. The real Land Rover (as opposed to those frightful Range Rovers, or Wange Wovers as it pleases me to call them) shape is apparent here, too

20488925788_4167dfe697_b.jpg

Another attempt to get the front end in focus by Alex1N, on Flickr

23. Gratuitous snap of Mr Snappy.

Say something for the nice people, Mr S!

"Er, G'day from Blaxland, Orstilia, 'ow's it goin'", says Mr Snappy. He's a very eloquent - and helpful - gent, is Mr S. He's seen here perching on a box of tools, before the latter found homes in the then-newly-built-but-not-in-operation back shed (there isn't a front shed, by the way, unless you count the house, of course... ;)

20489965538_5cfb41b616_b.jpg

Here's Mr Snappy! by Alex1N, on Flickr

24. No. wait up, we're not finished with models yet: the Trumpeter 1/32 MiG-3. Nice kit. Well, I think it's a nice kit. In fact, I think it's a very nice kit...

20710563862_3940a52961_b.jpg

Trumpeter 1/32 MiG-3 - Box contents by Alex1N, on Flickr

25. Assortment of attempts to copy a lost MiG-3 rudder-half (I bough an entire new kit for the purpose - but it is a nice kit, as I keep saying) using silicone rubber split-half moulds and PU resin (see also further down the post). Note the balsa-and-plasticard pouring-block mould element to which the selected original part was tacked, using CA. And the obvious lack of a de-aring box. I really must get around to making one of them - it's just a box with a hole in it. And maybe with a sealed thick perspex lid. After I've finished the lathe baseboard, perhaps

20673963165_36389fa34a_b.jpg

Closer-up view of the various rudder halves by Alex1N, on Flickr

26. Four attempts at making silicone rubber moulds to replace the lost MiG-3 rudder half. Mould has appeared to have grown on the moulds. NOTE THE REGISTRATION PINS AND SLEEVES. ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL!

23527441625_d75ffa86c2_b.jpg

Four attempts at making silicone rubber moulds to replace a lost kit part by Alex1N, on Flickr

27. Definitive Shelf o' Doom kit: chopped-up fuselage parts for the Hasegawa 1/48 Mk. 'IXc'. Thank goodness for the new Eduard kits

20531952348_91feb20604_b.jpg

Fuselage parts for the Hasegawa Mk. IXc by Alex1N, on Flickr. 

28. What, more? Give 'em a rest! High Planes Models 1/48 Hawk 127 RAAF Lead-in Trainer. Excellent markings and stencils transfer sheets

20983380712_b778f91849_b.jpg

High Planes’ 1/48 Hawk 127 RAAF Lead-in Trainer - Box contents by Alex1N, on Flickr

29. But wait, there's more! Hasegawa 1/72 P-40 E with Eduard PE. This is probably my worst-ever paint-job. The thing that is has in common with the Accurate Miniatures P-51 A kit is the brushed-on use of an unthinned paint from the Mr.Color lacquer-based Cockpit Colours Set. This is as far as I've got with this one...

20642966418_c1a038b99a_b.jpg

Note the execrable painting by Alex1N, on Flickr

30. The Eduard Color [sic.Etch PE detail set for the P-40 E

20804671576_31f45a0f33_b.jpg

Closer-up view of the Eduard 'Color [sic.] Etch' set for the 1/72 P-40 E by Alex1N, on Flickr

31. Here's the box for the Mr.Color cockpit set (one of several in fact) used above. I did stir and shake 'em thoroughly, honest, guv(s)

20671405390_a5ab97aa9e_b.jpg

The packet for the Mr.Color Interior Colors set by Alex1N, on Flickr

32. Classic Airframes 1/48 Hawker Hurricane (Fabric Wings). I got as far as slapping some brand of metallic paint (which I also forget the name of) on the wheel wells. I have some Ultracast resin bits for 1/48 Hurris as well, but the kit-supplied CA resin parts will more than do. I 'accidentally' sold the Hasegawa 1/48 Sea Hurricane (with Hasegawa(?) resin arrestor hook part) for which the Ultracast bits were destined. Oops.

20838106021_46c5b09ccb_b.jpg

Classic Airframes 1/48 Hawker Hurricane (Fabric Wings) - Box contents by Alex1N, on Flickr

33. A very  small sample of my Dymo tape collection. I thought - wrongly -  that Dymo were discontuing the stuff, and bought up big accordingly. At least I have what amounts to an inexhaustable supply of the stuff - in handy and elegant red and black

20846729201_5d08553a1a_b.jpg

Dymo Labelling Tape by Alex1N, on Flickr

34. The main reason for abandoning the CA P-51 A: yet another unsuccessful attempt to remove the s*ing paint. Mr Muscle(?) oven cleaner used on this occasion. I think, however, that I didn't try IPA, since I was jealously hoarding my meagre stocks at the time. I might revisit that if the fit takes me 

20238907813_66d9845e3a_b.jpg

Bother! The paint is definitely Selley's-Oven-Cleaner-proof by Alex1N, on Flickr

35. Here's the silicone moulding stuff that I used for the MiG rudder-half replacement: Dow Corning Silastic 3481. Very easy to use, although a de-airing box would have been useful here, too: I spent quite a lot of time pricking air bubbles with a pin before the stuff went off

22416067281_c11f883d24_b.jpg

Silastic 3481 box contents by Alex1N, on Flickr

36. A snap from early on in my Seafire build, before I started attacking the fuselage halves with various blunt instruments: Pavla Seafire Mk III canopy and fuselage posing next to the rather alarming 1:6.7 Brian Taylor Mk VIII/IX r/c (i.e., flying) Spitfire canopy. The Mk VIII is my favourite mark of Spitfire, and not just because of its strong RAAF connection. The Seafire Mk II comes next - even now (Pavla kit notwithstanding, see?)

26210752482_fe5b268bc5_b.jpg

Pavla Seafire Mk III canopy and fuselage by Alex1N, on Flickr

37. And coz I can - my TAIG lathe on its old baseboard (I'm currently in the process of making the baseboard's you-beaut no-expense-spared replacement). The jumble of bits and pieces includes parts for Tony Jeffree's extensions to what is a very basic - but thoroughly well-engineered and made (the lathe bed is filled with...concrete!) - micro-lathe, and which extensions were published in Model Engineer's Workshop magazine some time ago. These include the - unfinished, of course - changewheel and leadscrew attachment, and the - rather surprisingly - finished Mk I dividing head (sitting on the lathe carriage). The leadscrew (seen at bottom of snap) was laboriously hand-cut using a 24 TPI UNF die and wrench - since 24 TPI UNF threaded rod was not to be had nearby - but mainly because I wanted to see if I could do it by hand. Note my tag-line - it's not just a piece of venom-dripping sarcasm. The new baseboard is actually part of Mr Jeffree's leadscrew additions

35360267496_b239941677_b.jpg

Jumble of TAIG micro-lathe bits and pieces by Alex1N, on Flickr

38. Last snap, in this sequence, I promise. The bits and pieces include the integrated halfnut assembly, and the dog clutch parts - including Mr Jeffree's suggested handy pen-spring, of which, of course, I have a little drawerful somewhere. Once the lathe baseboard is finished (some days away unfortunately, because of the nature of the etching primer undercoat that I used on the steel lathe-foot mounting plate), I'll finish the leadscrew assembly off, since all the actual parts (excepting the leadscrew rear handwheel handle) have been completed. This is a very useful addition to the lathe, and it also represents quite a bit of hard work, so I am keen to get it operational. With the new baseboard's steel baseplate, I will be able to use my magnetic dial test indicator holder without having to stick it on the lathe baed. Hooray!

35012526400_1f6f63d4b2_b.jpg

Closer-up view of part of the jumble by Alex1N, on Flickr

Oof! I think that that's enough for the time being. The above is but a subset from the early stages of my Plastic Stuff Flickr album, and a few also from my TAIG Lathe Additions Flickr album. I have been looking for an excuse to put the lathe snaps up for some time, and the present thread is as good as any. The lathe may one day be pressed into service for making parts for plastic models, but I feel that that's cheating, somehow.

I appear to have missed out another started kit, the Dynavector Westland Wyvern, but since it's a vac-form number, there are no prizes - virtual or otherwise - for guessing why it ended up on the Shelf o' Doom in very short order.

My preference at this stage is to knock over  - figuratively speaking - the 1/72 FW 190 A-7, since that's the wee beastie that's nearest to completion. But I am open to persuasion, as long as no violence, actual or implied, is used to, er, coerce me ;).

Also, my apologies to those for whom these two posts are nothing more than a re-run (excepting the lathe snaps, wot is new) of my intro thread, albeit severely shortened.

Cheers,

the alex. :sheep: <-- not an alex, or an FW 190 A

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

On July 24, 2017 at 11:39 AM, AlexN said:

Hasegawa 1/48 Spifire 'Mk IXc' - NOT! Fuselage cut into lots of tiny pieces prior to adding plasticard inserts to turn fuselage from a Mk V(?) to Mk XI per instructions on Hyperscale. Earliest of the kits started, and bumped to the bottom of the queue by those listed above, a collection of ICM Mk IX/VIII/VII/XVIs ans the recent Eduard IXe 'late version' (resin an PE acquired for this abomination, too;

I have seen this accomplished recently on a build started long ago. 

Here's to yours being as successful. 

Grant

• Like 1

Thank you very much, Grant. Me too - although it is right at the bottom of the heap, since the very thought of Hasegawa's Big MistakeTM makes me seethe with fury. I have a bit of expensive aftermarket for this - Eduard colour-etch and Aires cockpit sets, I think.

Your avatar picture looks very familiar - I spent several happy hours snapping away at what I think is that very aircraft over at Scone. It even looks like the same hangar. I am building - well was, before I dismantled it (structural issues regarding a stable motor mount for a heavy 300 cc V-twin glow motor) - a 1/4.5 radio control model from a scaled-up Brian Taylor plan, and needed more detail regarding the whole machine, particularly the cockpit and main undercarriage. At the time, they were also reconstructing another Spitfire Mk VIII around a genuine firewall/main spar stub retrieved from a wreck in South Africa. Should be getting close to being finished by now.

Cheers,
Alex.

• Like 1

I seem to have scared everyone off with those three very carefully crafted long posts. It's happened again. I never learn :crying: 

And I refuse to use '@<insert-name-here>' methods to attract viewers any more. It's simply me cheating.

• Like 2