Airfix Supermarine Spitfire PRXIX

I couldn't decide what kit from my stash to build next, I wanted a nice straight forward kit to work on alongside my other build. So going with my son's choice I'm about to start Airfix Supermarine Spitfire PRXIX.

DSC_2781

The box includes 4 sprues (and a clear sprue), all are clean with nice detailing and panel lines. I decided to do a little research on the aircraft, and discovered that one April 1St 1954 PS888 flew the last sortie of an RAF Spitfire. When the aircraft landed the ground crew inscribed the left engine cowling with the inscription 'The Last!' I am tempted to add this little tribute to my build.

Screenshot_20170723-233737.png

• Like 4

Started the build tonight, and began by painting the cockpit floor, fuselage interior walls, and all the details within (including seat, instrument panel). I also began painting the prop, and nose cone.

DSC_2801

DSC_2802

once the fuselage interior was dry I focused on adding some detailing, painting up the switches and buttons. I then began painting the pilot (not sure whether to use him or not), as I began to paint I realised I had a different pilot to the one in the instructions, so decided to paint him to match the picture and hope he's small enough for it not to be visible.

DSC_2799

(Sorry for the poor photo of the pilot, my camera found it hard to focus.)

• Like 4

Spent some time today on the fiddly job of fixing the cockpit together. As there isn't a decal for the instrument panel, I decided to use a spare photo etch one I had from another kit. Once Gorilla glued into place, I attached the seat to the back panel, then attached the floor and pedals, before fixing the instrument panel and stick into place.

DSC_2810

I then decided to do a spot of weathering using Revell weathering powder and a dry brush. To the interior fuselage walls I used brown/back to give a dirty appearance, and I added a little to tue seat and floor.

DSC_2811

DSC_2812

• Like 2

Having done some more research into the PRXIX, I discovered the pilots seat was actually brown/cockpit green.

Screenshot_20170726-231339.png

So I decided to make my build a little more authentic. I painted the Base of the seat in Revell leather brown (leaving the grey padding off), and using masking tape and fuse wire, which I painted using Revell Beige created a harness. 

DSC_2819

I also fixed the prop and nose cone together, securing it on to its spindle, so once attached tother fuselage it should rotate.

DSC_2820

I finally added the glass window to the fuselage, this I glued into place with Gorilla glue. 

DSC_2821

• Like 4

Tonight I have fixed the cockpit into the fuselage. To begin with I used Gorilla glue on one side, this ment the cockpit would stick fast and enable me to put the prop in and secure the other half of the fuselage on top, without worrying about the cockpit moving..

DSC_2823

DSC_2824

once I had fitted both halves of the fuselage together, I held them in place with Tamiya tape and turned the prop to make certain I hadn't glued it into place.

DSC_2825

DSC_2826

• Like 4

I have been busy since my last post. I have Gorilla glued the clear parts to the underside of the wing, and fixed the fuselage to the wings. Once dry, I began the task of filling any minor gaps along the seam, and the huge gap on the underside. Once the Humbrol filler was dry I slowly sanded it back, and sanded along the seam for a smooth finish. 

DSC_2834

DSC_2832

DSC_2833

Hopefully my attempt at sanding will eliminate the obvious join you often get with Spitfire kits. She's all ready for her date with the rattle can primer tomorrow. 

• Like 3

Primer drying, thanks to my other half. I need to practice using the rattle can, just not confident enough yet.

DSC_2836

Going to invest in some poundland spray cans and practice painting anything we have around the house. Once the primer is dry I will set to work giving her a spot of colour. 

• Like 3

Been busy again since my last post. The primer dried nicely, so it was time to add some colour. I masked up the dark areas using Tamiya tape, ready for me to paint the lighter grey areas in Humbrol 165. Having had a bad experience thinning the paint for my other build, I opted for distilled water instead of Humbrol thinner. This worked a treat and went on nice and even, with minimal brush strokes. In total I gave the aircraft 3 light coats of the grey and once dry, sealed it in using Quick Shine floor varnish. Then it was time to remove the masking, and remask ready for the darker 230 (prue blue). I have to say I purchased a pot of Humbrol 230 only to discover the paint had set and was rock solid. I tried to revive it by adding a little boiling water, and although this did turn the paint back to part liquid, it was still lumpy. I've since purchased another pot (with a different lid), and all is good. I again thinned the paint down with distilled water, and have applied 2 coats. I repainted the nose white, like "The Last," Spitfire PS888. I'm really enjoying this build. 

DSC_2860

DSC_2861

DSC_2862

• Like 5

Since my last post I have removed the masking and given the model a coat of Quick Shine.

DSC_2866

DSC_2869

Once this was dry I started work on the decals. There are minimal decals with this kit, so armed with some decal fix and cotton buds I set to work. Once complete the aircraft looked really good, so as usual I left it to dry over night. When I came to give the model a coat of Quick Shine today however, the decals began to bubble. This hasn't happened to me before so I used the brush to smooth them back down, I'm only guessing the deep panel lines on the kit allowed moisture to creep in underneath..... 

Here's hoping they are secure now!

• Like 5

Hello shellie,

Pretty good job on your Spitfire

I must admit that at first I wondered about the camera compartment

Asking myself why did'nt she put the cameraes in ??

Then I saw it his a 1/72 model !

You're faster than I'am since I'm doing the same but at 1/48.

Really like "The last" she is a must in any good Spitfire collection !

Really good and tidy modelling, congratulations.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Thanks 1

So I crept over to my modelling cupboard this morning, wondering what I was going to find when I opened the doors?🤔Would there be 1:72 scale decals all over my cutting mat?🙈 Luckily enough they were still attached to the aircraft they were intended for!

DSC_2873

DSC_2874DSC_2875

To say I'm relieved would be a bit of an understatement! Still onwards and upwards. 

• Like 3

Nicely done Shellie,

Did you use micro sol and micro set ?

Pretty good stuff, it has saved some of my old decals !

Good job !

Sincerely.

Corsairsorp

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Nicely done Shellie,

Did you use micro sol and micro set ?

Pretty good stuff, it has saved some of my old decals !

Good job !

Sincerely.

Corsairsorp

Thank you, I have been using Humbrol decal fix and previously all has been fine. That said I have just been applying decals to my Airfix Nakajima Kate, and these have been heavy going. They are slightly larger than the area they are supposed to fit in and appear thicker. Are micro sol and micro set similar to decal fix? I've stayed clear of the Spit today in the hope that time is a healer!!

Thanks Michelle. 

• Thanks 1

In a matter of decals, time can be a healer or a killer, My Thunderbolt decals are dead, 30' in a luke warm water and Nothing... If try to move it with the finger it dissolve and turn to s****

Micro set do prepare the surface for receiving the decal

Micro sol ease the placement and then seem to shrink the decal, but don't you worry and don't touch !!

The decal will set itself and seem to penetrate in the paint and plastic.

Never tried Decalfix, since I use these micro products since 30 years and still glad with it !

The thing that happened wiyh my Mk VIII is no more funny. The decal was right, then I put the last coat of flat varnish aaaaand !

WP_20170604_00_13_57_Pro

Sometimes, S*** happen, don't know why

May be too old a decals (owned since the '80) may be the varnish reacting to moisture or I don't know

Here's the best I could do as a correction

WP_20170626_23_50_27_Pro

I did'nt wanted to repaint the whole thing :swear::swear::swear:

Hope that I helped !

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 5

1 hour ago, corsaircorp said:

In a matter of decals, time can be a healer or a killer, My Thunderbolt decals are dead, 30' in a luke warm water and Nothing... If try to move it with the finger it dissolve and turn to s****

Micro set do prepare the surface for receiving the decal

Micro sol ease the placement and then seem to shrink the decal, but don't you worry and don't touch !!

The decal will set itself and seem to penetrate in the paint and plastic.

Never tried Decalfix, since I use these micro products since 30 years and still glad with it !

The thing that happened wiyh my Mk VIII is no more funny. The decal was right, then I put the last coat of flat varnish aaaaand !

WP_20170604_00_13_57_Pro

Sometimes, S*** happen, don't know why

May be too old a decals (owned since the '80) may be the varnish reacting to moisture or I don't know

Here's the best I could do as a correction

WP_20170626_23_50_27_Pro

I did'nt wanted to repaint the whole thing :swear::swear::swear:

Hope that I helped !

Sincerely.

CC

You have helped massively, sometimes I think you need to hear other people's trials, opinions, and the like to make you realise things don't always go to plan. I've not had a problem with decal fix before, and may try Micro sol and set to see if I get on with it. I'm starting to think that you never know what your going to get, I've built 2 kits from the 70's recently and expected the decals to be well past their best, they were really good though. Thank you for your advice and encouragement, it is greatly received. 

Michelle. 

• Like 1

You're welcome Michelle !

That's modelling !! If everything is going textbook...

Where would be the pleasure ??

I liked to revive some oldies or despised kits and make it look good !

Just like walking on a minefield ...

One of my next RFI is almost 50 percent kit 50 percent sanded putty !

Have a nice modelling day, I've to prepare the dinner now.

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Michelle,

all in all, your Spitfire is looking very smart and well painted.

Corsaircorp has just experienced what we all went through at one time or another. Ideally, one should test the various varnishes (clear, gloss, etc...) one uses on each other. Chemistry is a dark art and sometimes funny things happen. Better to notice it on a spare decal set on an old piece of plastic... Having said that, it is a grind, so we don't do it, and ..... 

Anyway, it all looks real nice.

Keep having fun!

JR

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jean said:

Hi Michelle,

all in all, your Spitfire is looking very smart and well painted.

Corsaircorp has just experienced what we all went through at one time or another. Ideally, one should test the various varnishes (clear, gloss, etc...) one uses on each other. Chemistry is a dark art and sometimes funny things happen. Better to notice it on a spare decal set on an old piece of plastic... Having said that, it is a grind, so we don't do it, and ..... 

Anyway, it all looks real nice.

Keep having fun!

JR

Hello Jean,

I second what you say,

Will add that the way you cope with such an inconvenience make your model more pleasant for yourself at least.

That's another part of the pleasure :D

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

I decided to concentrate on the finishing touches on the Spitfire today, while the varnish dried on my Nakajima Kate build. So I began work by securing the tail wheel into place, this fitted perfectly and meant I could move onto securing the canopy with Gorilla glue. I really need to get to grips with securing the canopy in place before painting the aircraft (which I know means any gaps can be filled without damaging the paint), that said however, the canopy fitted perfectly without gaps, and lots of pressure to make it fit. I then gave the panel lines a wash using a mix of brown and black, to create dirt. I brushed over this in the direction of airflow, and continued all over the kit. I also weathered the wheel wells a little and added oil and grime stains to the underside. Then I began work on the undercarriage, I dry fitted this first to make certain I had the right angle, then Gorilla glued them into place.

DSC_2881

DSC_2882

DSC_2880

There are a few areas on the wheels to touch up, a spot more weathering to do and she's done. One question I have however, is would she be finished in matt or gloss?

Edited by Shelliecool
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just caught up with this Michelle and she's looking really good - nice job on the weathering :)

Decals are a bit of a dark art and I still have problems with mine from time to time... and then I don't. I've gone back to using DecalFix with Airfix decals just to use it up really but the 'received wisdom' here is to gloss coat before decals (to make sure the surface is very smooth to avoid silvering) and then MicroSet to apply the decal. MicroSol is great stuff but as CC says it 'melts' the decal so you mustn't touch it once applied and let it dry overnight. I only tend to use it now if the decal hasn't settled well. There are stronger versions available too for those nasty thick decals.

Finish? Maybe satin? Not sure though, but someone will chip in with some reference I'm sure.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1