King Tiger - Abt. 505 1/35

Hi Folks,

So this is my first AFV build, I have previously being building things that only have wings so decided to give something different a go and try and learn a few new techniques along the way. I first spotted this kit when it came out and I was immediately drawn to it so I am glad I finally got my hands on it. 

It is the Takom 1/35 King Tiger full interior kit featuring Abt. 505. I will be doing my interpretation of how the tank would have looked at the time. Considering I haven't been able track down too many references of this particular KT I am taking a little bit of an artistic licence with the weathering and battle damage. I plan on building the tank as if it was engaging a target from a static position at a distance as I have learned these machines weren't built for close engagements. With this in mind it will mean leaving it buttoned up, but I am going to leave a large portion of the doors and panels unglued so they can be removed and you can have a look at the interior. 

Unfortunately I never took any pictures when I was building up the interior so I only have them after it has been built and painted but will try and keep up with pictures as I progress.

wFKbNKS_sj73mGz59ARONamfyTSM5xD0eQC2wF3F

I think I was a little heavy handed on the chipping, but should be able to clear all that up when I start weathering.

OwS5Yluh-BVFANqU4WzB0N6AVzOil80I42AyWGm4

The engine all painted up. I later gave this a run over of panel line wash and will rust up the exhaust pipes a little later. Also need to add some chipping.

9O4wcbCd1Y-hRTSs9lFAaSdfyBv_Dule5kfUF2p-

And the weathering begins...and finishes:

3aTnGhCpF8oCfKymH03ulHBKPiJ3oyMGu_K1Ge-T

I then started to put everything into place. Thankfully even with the paint everything managed to slip together nice and snug.

C8KQs-B2u9nf_-Wl8WXLFnK8bZN7Ggd6NOGxDaat

V63CEhv58scwiDJtIyeop84_Zi-BkQj_MxPEDmtq

C_zdxNm6AkzGFyc8i3nn0xWMmwa32_tSpkm7wYuS

I have added a lot of grime, oil and even a few leaves to portray the winter environment and the crew dragging the dirt inside the tank. Nothing special was used, litte european earth pigments, streaking grime for interiors, black night panel wash and also some black ink was flicked from the brush to replicate oil stains and spills.

If anyone has any questions or comments please feel free to share and chat! :)

Cheer

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the kind words folks! I have been away on holidays and busy building I haven't had the chance to update the thread...until now!

The amount of building and sub assemblies this thing has is incredible, and the details is amazing. So quite a few things have been made and the first was the turret interior:

IMG_20170814_164216.jpg

I have also built up the main gun. I decided to keep them separated to try and save myself a headache later on. The rounds you see coaxial gun are from a 1/35 german weapons kit. I will be dropping a few crew weapons and other bits around the interior, again to make it look like it is a working vehicle. 

IMG_20170814_164232.jpg

IMG_20170803_210009.jpg

IMG_20170803_210203.jpg

I also added the guards/skirting onto the upper hull. I  had to hack the single piece provided by Takom and then also thinned out any of the exposed edges so they didnt look out of scale. Some of these were also bend and battered a little bit.

IMG_20170803_210148.jpg

IMG_20170803_210342.jpg

IMG_20170803_210350.jpg

One thing I like the look of is the melted armour from a direct hit and then the chipped zimmerit. Takom built this kit with scale thickness armour but it is hollow so I needed to fill it with some plasticard so it would melt

imBi6RDqub2tgnQJPCYPPDN69RnXxLH838x_8S60

I am pretty happy with the outcome:

IMG_20170815_191612.jpg

And finally for another taste of what is to come I cut out some of the moulded shells out of the racks (the dremel was a life saver here). And as you can see in the background I have a few empty shells to use. One thing to note for anyone planning on this in the future, if you build the production turret version like me you still get the rounds for the porsche turret, which have no racks attached. It is just two sets of 4 moulded together with a spacer. These can be easily separated, the round chopped off and then drilled out. Might help save someone a few bob down the road.

IMG_20170814_164158.jpg

That is all from me at this stage. There has been some progress since these photos were taken. I expect my next update will include some more built up parts with a little bit more colour added :thumbsup:

Thanks for looking and please don't be shy if anyone has any questions or queries ^_^

- Ian

Edited by Bernie Mac

This was the last kit I built. And it's fantastic. However there are some issues. I found the fuel tanks didn't fit particularly well when it came to mounting the upper hull over them. Same could be said with some of the engine parts.  ( though this could be my assembly) 

And dont make the mistake i did and glue the hull down before doing the tracks... tracks first. 

Your certaibly cracking on with the build. It took me 6 months to finish mine!! 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Steve_farrier said:

This was the last kit I built. And it's fantastic. However there are some issues. I found the fuel tanks didn't fit particularly well when it came to mounting the upper hull over them. Same could be said with some of the engine parts.  ( though this could be my assembly) 

And dont make the mistake i did and glue the hull down before doing the tracks... tracks first. 

Your certaibly cracking on with the build. It took me 6 months to finish mine!! 

I agree with the engine (can't comment on the fuel tanks as I haven't got that far yet. I have heard a few people mention the fit issues so plan on holding off securing the fuel tanks and spare shells until I am happy with the fit of the upper.

Thanks for the heads up, could have easily made that mistake. Its definitely interesting try to figure out the order in which to build the kit, I know aircraft like the back of my hand but this is a different beast altogether. 

-Ian