Academy 1/72nd P-51D 'Old Crow'

Hi All,

I have just completed an Academy 1/72 scale P-51D, I have only just started making models so this is one of my first serious attempts so had help from my dad and enjoyed making it, I wanted to make it 'Old Crow' as I'm an aviation graphics artist and managed to get a couple of my pieces signed by Bud Anderson himself, so this will go along side them in my room. Comments and criticism welcome always looking to improve I have got another Academy P-51B which I will make into Berlin Express and also an Airfix 1/72 scale P-51D which I'm looking at making into 'Tall in the Saddle'.

35716224090_953219558b_b.jpg1/72 'Old Crow' P-51D Mustang 357th FG by Ryan Dorling ( Ryan Dorling Photography, Reheat Ph, on Flickr

36106871525_d2538e4914_b.jpg1/72 'Old Crow' P-51D Mustang 357th FG by Ryan Dorling ( Ryan Dorling Photography, Reheat Ph, on Flickr

35716223630_83508e3c2c_b.jpg1/72 'Old Crow' P-51D Mustang 357th FG by Ryan Dorling ( Ryan Dorling Photography, Reheat Ph, on Flickr

Kind Regards
Ryan

• Like 21

Hello Ryan

hard to believe you "just started making models"!

Your Mustang looks proper!

Nice touch is the white wheel bands.

I see some of the decals -especially the code letters and the 'old Crow'- are 'silvering'.

You can avoid this by painting a gloss cote underneath and using setting solutions.

Good work!

Cheers from Vienna

Roman

How ironic im currently working on this very model. Yours looks very good 👍. You cant go wrong with Bud andersons markings. But mine will be done in a different squadrons markings. Probably 359th fighter group or 4th fighter group just haven't decided yet. 

What Roman said.

Most modellers use Klear (or a variant thereof) which is an acrylic gloss varnish. It can be sprayed or brushed. It's no longer for sale but I believe there are alternatives.

After that, use Micro Set where you want to place the decals, and when that's dry, use Micro Sol, to have the decals "melt" nicely into the panel lines and rivets.

Do note as well that bad quality or old decals may silver regardless of the above! Indeed if you used Academy's decals, they are a hit and miss and can be terrible to apply

In the longer run, consider an airbrush! It's worth the expense.

looks great. But if you want to step up a little further I would suggest using modelling putty to fill the gaps in the joints, I especially noted the wing border.

Otherwise it looks really good.

Nice effort for a first model.

Cheers