Tiny Splatter when airbrushing

Lish

Hi All,

Need some help, I upgraded from a Sparmax Airbrush SP 35c to Harder & Steenbeck Infinity CR Plus. Firstly I have to say its a huge difference and the H&S sprays beautifully compared the cheaper Sparmax.

However I am having an issue with a tiny splatter of paint every time I start stop and start spraying. I cleaned the tip as I am spraying as normal practise but seems to be still happening.

I am using Tamiya paints and thinned down with a thinner to paint ratio of 70/30. Its not the paint in my opinion as it sprays perfectly after that initially splatted. I didn't have this with the Sparmax but it seems like the H&S is sensitive. Its 0.2 needle on the H&S.

Would appreciate any help.

Thanks

OK, paint if building up somewhere, for some reason.  My money is on the tip of the needle. if the tip is damaged it can collect paint, when you start the air flowing this will splatter and then spray normally.  Also check that you have a matched set of needle, nozzle and air cap. And check the hole at the end of the nozzle cap is clear of paint.

Paul

Paul knows his stuff so it's probably what he said, but from using a H&S I've noticed that you have to careful to make sure that you push the trigger as far forward as it will go before you press down, otherwise it can cause a small amount of splatter.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, little-cars said:

OK, paint if building up somewhere, for some reason.  My money is on the tip of the needle. if the tip is damaged it can collect paint, when you start the air flowing this will splatter and then spray normally.  Also check that you have a matched set of needle, nozzle and air cap. And check the hole at the end of the nozzle cap is clear of paint.

Paul

Thanks Paul for the advise. Will check into it. Didnt realise you were on this forum, as you can see, i am new into this hobby and learning. PS: just ordered a complete 0.4mm nozzle, needle set and larger paint cups from your store. Great prices. Wish I found it earlier. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Gorby said:

Paul knows his stuff so it's probably what he said, but from using a H&S I've noticed that you have to careful to make sure that you push the trigger as far forward as it will go before you press down, otherwise it can cause a small amount of splatter.

Thanks, I read this on another site as well.I am a newbie to the modelling world so perhaps the Sparmax was much more forgiving and have to learn some better airbrushing habits like air before the paint :)

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

Bit of a thread revival, but I am curious to know whether the splatter I get is normal (there's a joke in there, somewhere!)

Seems like I get it whatever I do, but that it is most noticeable at scale - i.e. when I try to accomplish a Luftwaffe mottle effect, which I tried for the first time a week or so back with pleasing results (if you don't look too closely)

I ran some tests, and here are the results. Can anyone comment whether they think this splatter is within the normal range of variation?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/CCrCVjuksgPyxX1H7

Top row - 20 psi

Middle row - 15 psi

Bottom row - 10 psi

Conditions as follows

Steinbeck Infinity with .4 nozzle

Cleaned and checked before use - no splits or dents

Mig Acrylic satin black, thinned about 50:50 with Valejo Airbursh Thinner

Iwata Smart Jet Pro compressor

Spray about 1 inch from surface

Any ideas, tips and support much appreciated!

Edited by 10PT

Best thing I can suggest is to keep experimenting.  I did a first-time mottle effect on a BF109F-4 recently, which I like to think turned out ok.  Before spraying the mottles though, I tried just about every combo of paint/thinner mix, distance, pressure, etc, in an effort to find the best compromise.  From memory, I ended up with a 70/30 paint/thinners mix (Vallejo), at about 12psi, from about the same distance as you.  This was with a cheap clone airbrush, outwardly similar to the Sparmax 35, with a 0.3 needle. and one of the ubiquitous AS18 compressors.

12psi is a bit lower than the pressure I'd use for the rest of the model, which is usually about 15-18.  The weird thing is, I've seen clips from others who have great results from mottling by going higher, rather than lower pressure, but that didn't work for me at all.

Edited by Werdna

Thanks, Werdna

I intend to do some practise and testing, but appreciate the steer based on your research.

In my test picture, you can see I get the best results at 20 psi, but as you say, that's contrary to the advice many give.

On 29/05/2020 at 18:39, 10PT said:

Thanks, Werdna

I intend to do some practise and testing, but appreciate the steer based on your research.

In my test picture, you can see I get the best results at 20 psi, but as you say, that's contrary to the advice many give.

Just an update from me, although this is probably not news to many people....

I was practising mottling again tonight, as I've got a Luftwaffe mottle scheme to finish shortly.  With all of the above (ie 0.3 needle, 12-14psi, etc), the ideal distance now seems to be about 2.5 inches / 6-7cm from the surface.  I'd not tried spraying from that 'far out' before, but I think it might be the way forward.  It will obviously be paint mix dependant too, but maybe worth a try..