1/35 Meng BMR-3M

Well when I said I didn't build armour normally I seem to have been bitten by the armour bug, the Elefant was the 5th tank I've built and now the stash contains an M1A Breacher, Takom King Tiger and RFM Tiger with interior.

So here it is, the BMR-3M mine roller

aLb9G0V.jpg

I managed to get the tracks done while on nights, yes, I'm lucky I can do my model making at work, fiddly but a couple of hours had them done.

AlG3Gtq.jpg

I had a solid few hours modelling at our Sunday club day and within no time had gotten to this stage.

IAND8TP.jpg

Supplied jig to ensure alignment of torsion bars,this is all new to me so I don't know if track building and alignment jigs are the norm.

NIz5IKL.jpg

EAyilPG.jpg

a62IIo8.jpg

I then started sub assemblies, 

o0kvgD3.jpg

I think the rollers on their own contain around 90 parts, in a 1300 part kit.

KauTBUz.jpg

Everything got primed with Games Workshop Chaos Black from a rattle can

RxKC1gJ.jpg

I started spraying everything with the Meng acrylics as recommended in the instructions and painting guide, they're very thin and take a fair few coats to get a good layer of paint, by this time my compressor was wheezing to a standstill as I'd spent an hour trying to lay paint down, I've since resurrected my Badger 155 which sprays a treat and I recovered all parts in a custom mix of Tamiya paints, buff, deck tan and white which approximates the sand base of the arms fair desert splinter type camo, but since going through reference photos I think the colour is wrong, I've found that humbrol enamel 71 satin oak looks a better colour so I'll do some test paints.

More to follow.

Regards.

Mick.

• Like 6

• 2 years later...

Well, what can I say, I popped out for 5 minutes and before you know it it's 3 years later and so I decided to revisit the BMR.

This is how it was left, in the box, part painted, part finished, unloved, I really had a loss of mojo with this, the paint was terrible, I just felt like I couldn't finish it.

BN35PvM.jpg

Then I decided to get my backside in gear, so everything went into freezer bags and was sprayed with a LOT of Mr Muscle oven cleaner and left overnight, as you can see the upper hull stripped back to the black primer, the Meng tan acrylic won't shift at all, even after another 24 hours in oven cleaner.

Yr5iisX.jpg

I also had to go back through the instructions and remember where all these bits went.

WNS19Zw.jpg

Than a solid days modelling saw everything stuck back together and primed with Halfords grey primer

kRswmIF.jpg

J020s1W.jpg

kAS6IDI.jpg

I might even have a go at something along these lines.

KE5Scgx.jpg

Because I also have these to paint and another T-90A which I'm building at the moment.

Ym6V7jG.jpg

Hopefully more to follow if I can get a nice day outside to get paint on everything. 

Regards.

Mick

Edited by Bigmick
  • Like 5

Its not easy being green.

I mixed Tamiya XF-58 and XF-5 to get an approximate Russian green, added a few drops of XF-4 Yellow Green for the highlights, now to add the tan and black camo, sometime.

spacer.png

Edited by Bigmick
  • Like 3