A-6E TRAM Intruder

Actually started this last week, but had a bit of a disaster with the kit seats, managing to spill glue all over them so I ended up with some Pavla Resin replacements

P1010928.JPG

So this morning - basic blocking out of the seats

P1010929.JPG

Then weathering with oils and finishing off

P1010930.JPG

P1010931.JPG

P1010932.JPG

P1010933.JPG

Peter

• Like 6

Today's work - first the main landing gear, once again with diecast metal inserts

P1010940.JPG and a little 

Then the wrestling that is involved to get the fuselage closed up - it's fiddly rather than a bad fit, but it's inserts for the gear bay / arrestor hook and the intakes. Just used some dot's of CA to get an instant grab and then a little Mr Surfacer on the joints

P1010941.JPG

P1010942.JPG

Peter

• Like 3

Peter, this looks great so far.

Over time, I've heard a bit of aloof whinging about hobbyboss stuff. But I've built several of them, most in 1/48, and loved doing every one of them!

The kit seats , were they any good (before the spill)? They wouldn't have been a match for the resin ones I guess, but good enough?

Might keep an eye out for one of these kits.

Nice progress so far! Reading reviews of this kit in preparation of a build, the kit really seems great value for your money and pretty accurate, as well.

Rob: I think the in-box seats are not all that bad... if you don't start comparing them to their resin counterparts :D You can see a side-by-side comparison here, against the Quickboost one:

Edited by armored76
  • Like 1

Thought you might need some reference material - spect there's a couple of Intruders ranged on the deck here.!?

IMG_20170728_153240

Reckon she's got more hardware than the whole RAF. Surely there's a couple of A6s on the deck there.....

IMG_20170728_153112

Edited by rob Lyttle
photos

15 hours ago, Intruder503 said:

Forgive me if I've missed it, but have you decided on the scheme yet?

The Grey / Dark Grey one from the box (lo-vis) but not having the guide handy can't tell you the exact squadron.

I'm dreading the nose, dry fit didn't look very good but I have epoxied a load of lead in there for weight.

7 minutes ago, Intruder503 said:

It looks like you had to use a lot of filler on the nose. Is it that badly shaped?

Nice progress!

it'a not too bad actually, it's more that it's in 2 parts, and when I joined the two halves and got the seam sorted the back edge were a squashed a little, So it needs a smear of filler to blend it together

• Like 1

Today's work - first off preshading with Black, Sky Grey and White

P1010951.JPG

P1010952.JPG

Then on with the light grey

P1010953.JPG

Then on with the Dark Ghost Grey

P1010954.JPG

P1010955.JPG

Using Mr Paint for this - I'm not entirely convinced by the contrast between the two greys but they do spray incredibly nicely

P1010956.JPG

Peter

• Like 2

She's looking great, coming on in leaps and bounds!

The greys do look a bit similar, but you gotta assume these people know what they're talking about.

I'm looking at the side view drawings on your desk, and the main wheels are shown well forward.

Have you got weight added up front to avoid tail - sitting, or will it work out OK?

Looking great!

13 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

She's looking great, coming on in leaps and bounds!

The greys do look a bit similar, but you gotta assume these people know what they're talking about.

I'm looking at the side view drawings on your desk, and the main wheels are shown well forward.

Have you got weight added up front to avoid tail - sitting, or will it work out OK?

Looking great!

Shouldn't be a problem - the nose is full of lead / epoxy (not that the instructions mention nose weight). Don't see how it would work if you had the nose opened though 

• Like 1