Fairey Fulmar NFII ++++ Finished++++

On 2/27/2019 at 7:32 AM, Grey Beema said:

Looking good - not to far to go now, rather than painting the canopy, could you try using decal strips painted in the appropriate colour?

I did think about this but I've never had much success previously especially where there isn't precoloured transfer strips and one has to paint up and cut into strips. Also there are parts of solid colour. Ive masked a couple of Fulmars before and it does take time but works. I'm not sure what would be quicker or less tedious. I've  got a mask set which will make things quicker than previously when each pane was individually masked. 

22 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

A bit late for me on this !

Nicely done 825 !! Love the Fulmar !!

Sincerely.

CC

Thanks CC

Canopies masked. The Peewitt masks were pretty good and didn't take too long to do.

resized_55d2181b-bb4e-4563-8b40-9878e1e4

and now onto the airframe.  The observer's canopy needed some gentle filing down at the ends to fit. And the pilots needed secured down as it had a tendency to rise up. It also required a wee bit of light trimming to fit. I suspect I filed off about the equivalent of a few coats of paint. 

resized_d78a9b37-d12a-42cb-b8ec-2b4c8d35

Edited by 825
  • Like 7

An initial coat of the interior colour. Some filling was needed around the pilot's canopy on this side. 

resized_6afc9f86-4f18-473c-8283-93f70fea

Then the camouflage colours. I'm not 100% happy with the pilot's canopy. Despite having trimmed , sanded and taped it down it's seems to have risen up and isn't sitting right. 

resized_d1d93b49-2127-4d6a-8453-bab54c1a

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Canopy painted, a couple of coats of matt varnish, undercarriage and prop on. Slowly but surely getting there. Although there is a fair amount of etch to be added at the end. 

resized_8c2496a9-ac6d-4ba7-933b-037ee539

• Like 4

Here we are today, few more bits on and another coat of matt varnish after touching up the paintwork. Needs de-masked, wheels on and finished off. 

resized_4ef5bc41-5b34-4ab4-baff-cd5bee8d

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Wheels on and canopy unmasked. There's a little bit of over paint on a couple of panes. I need to fit a new blade to the scalpel to scrape it off. 

resized_80efa017-9ef2-4745-9194-417ffc68

• Like 5

• 8 months later...

This has been sitting in the corner winking at me for the last 6 months. Although I've been busy with other things it's been my aversion to etch and resin that's been the barrier so I've slowly but surely added the bits piece by piece and now I'm here. Apart from the Yagi aerials and something underneath that looks like a catapult cradle it's almost done. Ive also trimmed the radar aerial masts off the resin moulding block and will pop them on next. 

resized_d3915eec-f88f-4b55-80fa-2b3e4181

Once they've had time to solidify up I'll add the aerials and hope fully my Fulmar that I rushed to start will be finished. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Pretty well finished. All the etch on and sitting waiting for the photocall

91744136-7b13-48f2-8b92-234655cf527b.JPG

• Like 3

Finally done, with a number of pictures taken for RFI. Thanks everyone for your comments and support on this build, which was not without its challenges. It is a little different from the usual TSS Fulmars. I do have some more Fulmars in my stash and I think one with US stars in Operation Torch would be in order. 

resized_01e454b3-471f-48ed-a1bc-7079ad16

• Like 3