Fairey Fulmar NFII ++++ Finished++++

I got this a couple of weeks ago and rashly dived straight in. I do like Fulmar's and have quite a few done and more than a few in the stash.  Although criticised as being a bit slow and not terribly aerobatic, it was a very effective fleet defence fighter. Remember, it was never designed to dog fight against fighters but defend the fleet against long range bombers and reconnaissance aircraft as well as acting as a spotter for gunnery. It did had a long range and could stay in the air for a long time, as well as being a stable and effective gun platform. Fulmars shot down more enemy aircraft than any other FAA fighter so it wasn't a failure and certainly was a major factor in the success of the Malta convoys. 

resized_fa01dc23-0bcb-4cce-8e79-4bd4c695

A nice set of well moulded sprues, although there is a little flash. Good cockpit and wheel well detail. There is a bit of paint on them already. I did say that I had dived straight in. 

resized_39baec05-4c12-441a-8a52-be7f6eaa

Nice nice instructions but in traditional SH manner some locations are a bit vague. 

resized_c3c95f2b-3dfb-4f1e-a930-f073f505

Clear sprue, a little bit of resin and some etch.

resized_d69bdc4a-e954-4aa3-b844-32115f2a

Good transfer sheet from Cartograf for four versions

resized_2c8dc71d-9bbf-47ba-b488-564e4537

resized_08eeb284-d646-4420-89d8-2b283ed2

I am going to do this version as it's a bit different.

resized_5bdef5a4-1c21-4e37-8042-8e573c86

Happy modelling to come hopefully. I have also got a masking set. I recall the time it took to mask my previous attempts.

Edited by 825
Didn't get the pictures right first time round. Using Village.Photos and still learning
  • Like 13

Lovely! This looks like a smashing kit. I'd echo your remarks about masking the canopy - not a job I'd willingly repeat...

Looking forward to updates!

I like the Fulmar too and have always had a hankering for the Special Hobby kit, a desire that I can fulfil by following your build.

Edited by Beard
to correct spelling.

Thank you all for your kind words. Not much done today, and as I have a really busy week ahead, probably not much next week either. However, I've got more paint on. As the wings look like a good fit, and I have found SH kits to be good in this respect,  I thought I'd  try and paint up as. Much as possible before committing the plastic to cutting and glueing. Here's where we are at the nod of today. 

resized_436ef05f-88ca-41f6-b996-5e11e0de

• Like 6

• 5 weeks later...
10 hours ago, WindyWAFU said:

Which colour scheme are you planning to paint this aircraft in?

I'm doing it in the NFII nightfighter scheme of Medium Sea Grey and Dark Green. It will make a difference from my usual Temperate Sea Scheme aircraft. 

• 1 year later...

This has sat for 18 months in a pending pile, despite my having dived straight in after purchasing it. With most of my GBs out of the way, I thought it was time to get going again. Over the past few days I've done a fair amount on it. Here's the interior so far. The observer's seat does look a bit far back but that's the location given by SH. 

resized_587bafe1-409c-42ed-8cb5-037703eb

I do like the insrument panels. They give a injection moulded panel with some raised detail then a white transfer with the dials on it. It looks better, IMHO, than the usual 'all panel' transfers. 

resized_cd44c434-d7df-43fc-8e42-83002062

Some sub assemblies done. A bit of filler needed here and there. The undercarriage well has needed a bit of sanding down as dry fitting suggests the inner wings don't fit. 

resized_8af98779-6b9c-4149-825e-f5159d38

• Like 9

Ready for closing up the fuselage. Dry fit suggest a good fit. Mind you that seems to change as soon as you apply the glue. 

resized_dde25584-d735-4825-b128-883b2808

• Like 4

Fuselage closed up, with little fuss. I cemented the tail and rear section together and then moved forward bit by bit.  Very little in the need of filler required. And I think that on the top of the cowling was down to me anyway. Then the wings on and this was a reall challenge. Loads of trimming and fettling needed followed by taping and clamping. There's a little bit of filling needed 

resized_c2385a40-c2df-4601-90c3-14e94115

but there's a massive step at the wing root fillet on both sides despite an almost seamless joint in the underside of the fuselage. I don't know if this is down to the wings being less 'full' than they should be, as I had to sand down the wheel wells to get the upper wing to fit or the fillets being too large. I don't think it's the former as the wings meet almost perfectly front and back and a greater curve would leave the upper wing short. 

resized_32ef8deb-31e8-4583-9c1d-96f080d2

So out with the sanding sticks and sandpaper. Oh and the radar set has fallen out. 

• Like 3

A lot of filing, filling and sanding has gone in over the past week. Several coats of paint and more filling, sanding and polishing and we are now here. 

resized_3cf78339-8c94-4937-9320-de89b98e

resized_a4beed6e-767c-447b-848d-6c81efcb

There's a little more needed on the radiator covering and obviously the dark green needs finished. Mind you the finish on the green looks suitably distressed and it's a pity I won't be able to keep it and replicate the finish on the Medim Sea Grey as the instructions say the actual aircraft was pretty grubby and worn.  

• Like 4

Medium Sea Grey completed, a little masking done and a first coat of Dark Green. When I return from my weekend away I'll mask the canopies and get them on as well. I've a Peewit set for this, which is a real time saver, I think there's around 38 panes on the observer's canopy alone.

resized_666e6159-bdc1-447d-834c-b02e4cda

• Like 2

Coming on well..  not sure I like the MSG Dark Green finish though...

Is there instrument repeaters to go in the observers cockpit?  It makes it look a bit busier..

28189298666_9cac827268_n.jpg

Edited by Grey Beema
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Grey Beema said:

Coming on well..  not sure I like the MSG Dark Green finish though...

Is there instrument repeaters to go in the observers cockpit?  It makes it look a bit busier..

28189298666_9cac827268_n.jpg

Yes there is, and there's a transfer for the instruments. There's also a radar set from etch, which needs to be affixed.  Both do busy it up but I still think the observer's seat sits too far back. When his office is complete I'll post a picture. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The next step would be to get the transfers on before adding the canopies, undercarriage and the few aerials, etc.. However, this aircraft had some yellow and red patching or formation markings behind the observer's cockpit. As this needs masking I thought it best to do before adding the transfers. I'll paint the yellow and then add the red bits from transfer strips. 

resized_aeb7cc94-0fdc-4edc-813c-a3a1d76a

You can also see the observer's cockpit interior. 

• Like 2

Yellow patch completed and the transfers on. 

resized_5bfd9a05-ba90-43fa-9a9a-eed6b5e0

Now for the canopy, (despite having a mask I have some trepidation over masking it)' undercart and various sticky out bits. There's a few bits of etch to form the aerials. 

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, Tomoshenko said:

Yes it does look nice, and that yellow formation match sets it off. Internals look good too.

Thanks, there's also some red trim to it as well. The Grey/Green livery also makes a change from the usual Fulmar livery. Although to be fair there were a few variations on the Sky/Dark Slate Grey/Extra Dark Sea Grey livery:, high/low demarcation, Sky Grey and the Sand and Spinach leading edges. There is a fairly good interior provided. 

1 hour ago, Cookenbacher said:

That's looking very nice indeed.

Thanks Cookie.