Show us your modelling space / stash

Gorby

8 hours ago, Gorby said:

Nice rack! (Sorry I couldn't resist that).

Are you intending to market those? If you could produce them at a reasonable price I'm sure there are plenty of people who would love them.

Haha, why thank you, sir! ;)

2 hours ago, Tzulscha said:

I LIKE it!

And I want one. Actually I want several.

Arranging paint so that it takes up the least amount of space is always a huge problem.

Any chance of making a DXF file available?

Just market these things!

My brother has an Etsy shop with various laser cut items, but generally smaller items than these paint racks. I'll ask him if he'd be willing to make these.

I've considered making the plans publicly available, but they are highly dependent on the thickness of the material they are cut from because of the interlocking tab and slot construction. I've found that typical 1/8" MDF board can vary between 3.2mm to 2.7mm and a difference of 0.2mm can make the design too tight or too loose. This means I'd probably have lots of requests to tweak the plans to account for varying material thicknesses.

Anyway, I should probably not hijack this thread talking about the paints racks. I'd appreciate any suggestions as to which part of the forum I should start a new thread to discuss the possibility of getting these paint racks made. I'd love to get input from folks to see if there are additional improvements I could make.

31 minutes ago, teddylindsey said:

I'd appreciate any suggestions as to which part of the forum I should start a new thread to discuss the possibility of getting these paint racks made. I'd love to get input from folks to see if there are additional improvements I could make.

Possibly 'Tools & Tips' / 'Other Tools'.

Or 'Tools & Tips' / 'Paint'. I think that this forum possibly gets more views.

Alternately you could just use 'Chat'.

It looks a better solution than a lot of the commercially available paint storage shelves I've seen.

Good luck.

• 4 months later...

I think I might be getting old. Just spent the last week organising my work area.

20181228_131332

Yes, those are labels, yes everything is in its place and I have even catalogued my paints with cross reference to BS FS RAL, RLM standards. The next step might be to actually build something.

Now, where did I put all my kits :think:

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

Just a week? wanna come over to my place and do it again? ha ha. Now to keep it this way.  One trick I seen is to take a picture of each bit and make sure everything matches after each day or week.

• Haha 4

With a few days off for Christmas and New Year, I was at least able to make a (umpteenth!) come back to modelling.

In fact the first real attempt since I moved in my new home a year ago. 

At the time, I did set up my workbench quickly, but left most of my stuff stored where they were.

A week ago, I 'd sat for the first time at my desk with determination (and time!) to build something, but I quickly realised that I was going nowhere, with 3/4 of my time spent looking for tools and things.

So I went out for some shopping, and came back to reshuffle all my stuff.

It's still provisional, as I'll renovate the place in two to three years, but now everything's handy, I just have to get up for coffee or to put the airbrush in the ultrasonic cleaner. I've even a bottled gas heater! Together with a Co² détector. There will bee certainly some tweaks here and there, but overall the setup is now more than ok.

Now let's build some plastic!

atelie10.jpg

• Like 5

Hi Antoine, and Bonne Annee to you and your family.

I hope the plastic that you build will be some armour.

BTW. That's a good gas heater that you have there. I've one the same. Even on just one element, it heats my room up nicely.

John.

• Like 2

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 1:26 PM, depressed lemur said:

20181228_131332

@depressed lemur been looking all over for those sort of wooden drawer things. Could I ask, where did you get them from, and how much were they? Really could do with getting some to try and get the modelling space organised a lot better than it is at the moment.

Thanks

John (aka Treker_ed)

2 hours ago, treker_ed said:

@depressed lemur been looking all over for those sort of wooden drawer things. Could I ask, where did you get them from, and how much were they? Really could do with getting some to try and get the modelling space organised a lot better than it is at the moment.

Thanks

John (aka Treker_ed)

@treker_ed I picked these up in IKEA. 

They are called MOPPE and come in 2 sizes. A smaller one for £15 and the ones I got for £18 each. A bit pricy but so very useful.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, depressed lemur said:

@treker_ed I picked these up in IKEA. 

They are called MOPPE and come in 2 sizes. A smaller one for £15 and the ones I got for £18 each. A bit pricy but so very useful.

I have a couple of the same, larger ones & have found them invaluable for holding everything for one job together. Plus you can remove the drawer and use it like a tool box, finish whatever you're working on & pop it back into the unit.

Edge

• Like 1

10 hours ago, stalal said:

x2hYiC6.jpg

You must be a very, very, very, VERY careful modeller. The patina on the carpet in my hobby room more resembles your cutting mat.

• Haha 6

I'd recomend a low profile drawer under the table so your tools have a home and maybe a chair with a backrest, unless your ok with a stool. Maybe a square drawer like they had on old sewing machine tables on the left side,

• Like 1

How do chaps,

Recently re-jigged the work space in the shed due to getting a new spray booth. The old one was a bit in the way and took up a fair bit if bench space due to its shape and it venting from the back.

Before.

PDXqc1r.jpg

l3b47cI.jpg

And after. 

Ey48GrD.jpg

Regards,

Steve

• Like 13

• 2 weeks later...

DSC_0043

Here's mine so far. 

Only just getting back into scale modelling, I need to re-acquire paints and tools. I keep paints in the cupboard above the desk just to keep the smell down in the room mostly. Got a wishlist for things I need to get - main ones are a spray booth and a decent toolbox so I'm going to get a nice wooden machinists chest which is neat because of its portability so I can stow it under the surface when it's not in use. This is also a space for general arts and crafts too as I like making all sorts. 

• Like 7

13 hours ago, Jered said:

Here's mine so far. 

I was also going to comment on all that wanton tidiness and to add insult to injury - cleanliness, I mean really, where's the blood? We need to see another photo in a few months time when the chaos has descended.

13 hours ago, Jered said:

so I can stow it under the surface when it's not in use.

When I originally set up my room I did in such a way that most of the modelling stuff could be hidden away when not in use, but I found that it is in use 99.8% of the time. Anyway the original tools seem to have multiplied and the the various bottles, cans and tubes of model related gunk have breed far in excess of what was originally envisioned, so hiding it all away would take effort (which is never a good thing). The answer is convenient tactical blindness – just pretend it isn't there.

• Haha 8

11 hours ago, Gorby said:

I was also going to comment on all that wanton tidiness.........

My workshop ( seen on page 4 ) is about 23 x 12 feet, and I still end up working on a piece of bench about 12 inches square, with clutter all around me!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...

I might have missed it in the depths of this thread but the Paolozzi studio recreation in the Edinburgh museum of modern art is a modeller’s den that got out of hand

https://www.nationalgalleries.org/exhibition/paolozzi-studio

Spotted a built (but unpainted) Dornier flying boat in 1/144, a sizeable stash of planes, real space and sci fi and a boat or two. Sculpting is clearly just whatiffery taken to the next level

• Like 2

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 9:51 AM, LostCosmonauts said:

I might have missed it in the depths of this thread but the Paolozzi studio recreation in the Edinburgh museum of modern art is a modeller’s den that got out of hand

Correction: "...is in the early stages of getting out of hand."

On 29/01/2019 at 09:51, LostCosmonauts said:

Spotted a built (but unpainted) Dornier flying boat in 1/144, a sizeable stash of planes, real space and sci fi and a boat or two. Sculpting is clearly just whatiffery taken to the next level

Is that Kryten?