Show us your modelling space / stash

Gorby

53 minutes ago, Gorby said:

When I first posted my modelling space on Salemates I thought it would be one on of the smallest – some Europeans and Americans have got man-caves that would make even Colin envious. But it made me realise how lucky I was to have any sort of permanent, dedicated area. It looks like you are managing well in spite of your modelling hardships by the look of that Spit. Good luck claiming your rightful domain in the (hopefully near) future.

Thanks. There was one post on BM some time ago where someone had a busy life and actually had the A3 worktray in the boot of his car - I took some inspiration from that! Right now, I have two sheets of vintage Airfix transfers taped in a plastic bag to the inside of my car windscreen so that they can catch some sun to de-yellow while I am at work. Just reminding myself to remove them before I roll up to the house later or I will catch some radar-controlled flak......

Mike

• Like 1

Gorby, it was going to be a man cave with all the chaos that go's with, but swmbo started to have a imput and that was the end, see the globe, not my idea haha.

I will try to keep it in order as my other very small area started to get very cluttered with paint racks, tools and open modelling tool storage,very handy to get too but just ends up a dust trap and a place you don't really want to be in, well mine seemed like that.

Kitchen wall unit coming to sit just off the desk (10mm)where the spray extractor will go in, another swimbo idea but a good one I must say, doors will open then the doors can act as sheilds either side to help air flow into extractor, when finished close doors to hide it and also storage above.

I'm fortunate as only the stucture was done by a builder, mainly due to time, rest I'm able to do, had a good electrical apprenticeship many years ago with one of the then nationalised  electrical companies, which with all the old hands I trained with was taught many skills, many of them built their own houses and would pass on there skills not just electrical

• Like 1

Glad to read the comments abouts LEDs and DAB radios.  Mine is very weird.  I have dimmable LED downlighters in my shed which have their own circuit from an RCD equipped garage unit and they do not interfere with the radio.  However, I've got an illuminated magnifier with a ring of daylight LEDs which is plugged into the ring main and when that is turned on the radio drops out for two or three minutes and then somehow works itself out and comes on again.  Any ideas?

Morning Chaps :bye:

About the Dab radio/LED thing. Friend of mine had similar problems a while back and he spoke to some radio fundi about it and he suggested that he put up an external aerial for his DAB and hey presto, problem went away. Its something to do with RFI(?) with the LED's producing the same frequency or something.

I'm just going by memory here, don't quote me on electronic stuff, i fix things with hammers :) 

Mad Steve

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Steve_farrier said:

What's the chance of getting this pinned as it's an awesome thread?! 😀😀😀😀 

@Julien asked for the title to be changed to make it a bit more general, but of course the post just sinks into the dark, distant depths over time.

It would be nice if it was pinned, like the 'Put a face to the name' thread, but I suppose they can't pin everything of interest. Shame, because I've got some good ideas from other work-areas that have been shown and as I have previously said, I'm just bloody nosy.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 03/10/2017 at 12:13 PM, Gorby said:

but of course the post just sinks into the dark, distant depths over time.

Indeed, it took me a few minutes to locate it.

And so far, I've seen only about ten pics of modelling space.

There should be a lot more participations, as it's very interesting to see how others manage their workbench/space.

It's a real idea generator.

Well, AFAIC, there's no such thing as a workbench since I came back from Taiwan, that's nearly four years ago.

But there's light at the end of the tunnel.

This whole room should be dedicated to modelling, and production might restart before the end of 2017.

maison12.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Antoine said:

There should be a lot more participations, as it's very interesting to see how others manage their workbench/space.

It's a real idea generator.

I agree, I have picked up plenty of ideas from nosing through photos of other modellers work areas.

The room looks like a good size, but it might need a serious de-clutter (before you clutter all back up with stash, tools, storage, consumables, more stash, etc….)

I hope you intend to post the photos of the end result.

It's an odd way to break the news to @MAD STEVE, but I hope you and Steve's daughter will be very happy together. :wink:

• Haha 1

My attempt at a panoramic shot - not really used this function on my camera before:

26320269829_01d5737d47_h.jpgMancave Panorama by Caution Wake Turbulence, on Flickr

Had a bit of a tidy up..., turned off my LED panel as it was washing out the exposure.

My mancave is the only thing that makes life bearable atm, so I have tried to make it a nice place to be....still wavering on the beer fridge!

All the best,

Andrew

Edited by Caution Wake Turbulence
typo
  • Like 9

I can't compete with that set up and I haven't a clue how to get a panoramic shot - so it's stand in the corner and hope for the best...

IMG_2899.jpg

...doesn't really do it justice.  That's a 4' x 8' table top.

I have covered it in 3 pieces of 4mm toughened glass as it's real oak and would have lasted about 2 minutes without protection.

Mrs X drew the line at lino for the floor but I have got one of those clear plastic desk chair mats down - so you can actually hear a ping when you drop something and losses to the carpet monster have gone down a lot.

The chair is comfy too... :D

Like it???

• Like 6

Will post mine soon, but I have to ask... @colin is it 'easy' to transform a loft with trusses(?) to a open plan like you have? I always thought it was a major to do what you have done. Looks superb though, and exactly what I'd love one day... Mrs would too, so I'm out the way :lol: 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Caution Wake Turbulence said:

My mancave is the only thing that makes life bearable atm, so I have tried to make it a nice place to be....still wavering on the beer fridge!

Splendid, Andrew.

I take note about the beer fridge.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Caution Wake Turbulence said:

My attempt at a panoramic shot - not really used this function on my camera before:

26320269829_01d5737d47_h.jpgMancave Panorama by Caution Wake Turbulence, on Flickr

Had a bit of a tidy up..., turned off my LED panel as it was washing out the exposure.

All the best,

Andrew

Morning Chaps :)

Now like every says, you see some good ideas on theses posts.

Andrew, what is the paint rack above your spray booth? 

Mad Steve

10 hours ago, Caution Wake Turbulence said:

....still wavering on the beer fridge!

Still!

Waver not, you know it makes sense, especially for keeping super glue and mixed two-part epoxy putties fresh between use.;)

And there might even be room for a couple of refreshing beverages to revive you in breaks between plastic/resin/metal firkelling.:wicked:

Christian, exiled to africa

• Like 1

Ah Steve, you spotted the “Don’t make me root through the cupboard to find the paint I want (which is invariably all the way at the back), I need it now!!” Rattlecan Dispensomatic Mk. II. 

The Mk. I suffered some structural integrity issues, but fortunately built-in redundancy prevented a calamitous rattlecan deluge!! 

In a nutshell: 63mm PVC pipe cut into roughly equal lengths, tied to each other with 200mm cable ties and the whole lot wrapped in duct tape. 

I can post more pictures later if you like. 

Andrew

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Mike said:

Here's my current modelling space:

43925.jpg

I ain't not done no actual modelling for around 3 months :crying:

Its hard to believe with a great set up like yours Mike that it is going unused at present - that stash won't go down on its own you know - unless you want me to come over and take some away - just to help you out of course :lol: ;) :wicked:

<_< 'ands off! :lol: I'd forgotten you've been over :rolleyes: I still sit here regularly, but I'm always pulled in different directions by site stuff, general goldfish memory, and my propensity to be distracted by the latest shiny thing I happen upon :blush:

• Like 1