Show us your modelling space / stash

Gorby

On 7/2/2020 at 6:09 PM, Tony Oliver said:

Indeed! 
I used have a k2 600 in same scheme, a mini-me of yours. 
Thou aint it - as has braced swing arm? 

Mine is the 750 K2.

50074865257_33d892a716_o.jpg

50074044838_7645162a8c_o.jpg

B)

• Like 7

This is the lower level of my new place.Its unfinished,but insulated.Cool in the winter and cool in the summer.I will install some more overhead lighting eventually, a full renovation probably isn't in the cards, but it has a lot of potential.It works for me.

20200118-151927.jpg

20200118-151948.jpg

20200118-152006.jpg

• Like 10

My modelling space is the end of the dining room table. 

My stash in four large cardboard boxes out in the shed. The roof has seen better days and has leaked (on the to-do list), the boxes are mostly in a woeful state after ten years in there but the plastic won't come to any harm. All my instructions and decals are in a filing cabinet indoors though.

• Like 1

This has been my lock down WIP... Not really had much mojo for modelling really - so i decided for a complete clear out and change round - this is end result.

New desk, and drawer unit from Ikea.

New shelf, also from Ikea.

New lamp off Amazon

New storage units off @Andy G @ EBMA 

Finally put into frames and up on the wall,  two Eduard prints that I've had for a few years.

All in all - way too much money spent - but... has definitely given me a boost - two models finished this week that have been sat around for far too long (one started just before lock down and completely ran out of steam and passion to complete it!) The other, startyed as a mojo boost, just after getting the new desk sorted to get the modelling juices flowing again.

spacer.png

spacer.png

(and a close up of the planes)

spacer.png

(But not too close - don't want any flaws to be seen now do I....😇)

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

I know that it doesn't look much at the moment, but I'm hoping to turn this space (which was an open ended barn which partially collapsed in high winds in November, and then lost most of it's roof in the mini tornado in January), into something useful. It'll have a sloping roof along the line of the red line, and the back part will be storage for my caravan. That will leave an area approximately 2.5 metres by 6 metres, which will become my hobby room. It's going to take a fair amount of work to get it all up and running, but at the end of it I should have room to do what I want. So building models is going to take a back seat for a while, with just the occasional visit to the current hobby room.

John.

65f57b62-1ed3-4a8f-bb80-46748a1d2602.JPG

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

I'm hoping to turn this space .... into something useful.

I take it it'll be less open-plan.

Regular update photos would be good John.

• Like 2

On 31/07/2020 at 15:28, bentwaters81tfw said:

^ I hope you have the Mayor's approval!

Probably don't need it as what's going up is much the same as what came down. It'll be clad along the side with shiplap and open at one end (the bit for the caravan, not my hobby room). The only difference will be the fact that it has a sloping roof as opposed to a pitched roof.

John.

• Like 1

Time for an update, I think. 

Last time I posted I mentioned plans for a rearrangement to clear the clutter that lived on the right side of the bench. I invested in some of the tool and storage modules from EBMA, and here’s the result.

50179411356_7687e99280_b.jpg

I still have various models on the bench, and a couple of 1/72nd Italian fighters are being worked on for the Battle of Britain 80 group build. The drawer and storage units have encouraged me to be a good bit tidier, and I now do things like put tools away at the end of a session at the bench. I know, right? Who does that! :laugh:

50178876568_a6300f13ba_b.jpg

The EBMA stuff in a bit more detail. It’s totally revolutionised the bench, I have to say. I’ve labelled the drawers so I know what’s in them, though I’m beginning to learn which one has what I need without looking too hard. I hope to invest in a couple more units to fit over the left side and the test track, but this lot does me for now.

The flow of newly finished aircraft models continues, but the display cabinet refuses to expand to take them. To cope, temporarily, I’ve shifted the various road vehicle models I use for set dressing when photographing the planes out, and that’s freed up a shelf in the cabinet. It’s still tight, but the current builds should fit in there without too much trouble. What happens after that, who know. Perhaps I should move house. :frantic:

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

I now do things like put tools away at the end of a session at the bench. I know, right? Who does that! 

Just got through doing the same thing myself, due to the fact that there was actually no room left on the bench for the model. But your bench does look nice and tidy, but not half as tidy as that 80000 class in the window. Is that a kit or did you build it from scratch?

John.

3 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

not half as tidy as that 80000 class in the window. Is that a kit or did you build it from scratch?

It’s a kit, from an outfit called Modern Outline Kits. I didn’t build it, thankfully - not that it’s at all a bad kit. It’s actually an excellent kit, but enormously daunting with a high parts count.. It’s been left with me in the vain hope I might finish it for the chap who did, but who got stuck with the final stages.

• Like 1

Very nice. I assume that it's nickel silver? I grew up watching these come through Chalkwell station in the 50's, as my Dad worked there. Them and the Stanier and Fairburn tanks. Handsome creatures.

John.

2 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Very nice. I assume that it's nickel silver? I grew up watching these come through Chalkwell station in the 50's, as my Dad worked there. Them and the Stanier and Fairburn tanks. Handsome creatures.

John.

It is nickel silver. MOK makes some very special kits, with prices to match. 

This loco is in my Top Five British industrial design classics of the 20th century.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Well, I finally got around to putting up a poster that my mum brought down for us.

IMG_20200927_132624

IMG_20200927_132640

Fun and games getting it there, I was not sure whether the work bench would take my weight, thankfully it did.

But there is still more work to do up there...

Simon.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 13/11/2017 at 12:02, Roman Schilhart said:

I got my new workspace in summer 2015.

Here's what it was looking before, you can see the desk had cut-outs to accomodate two Technics 1210 turntables and a mixing console, while the wall racks used to hold (thousands of) vinyl records.

That's all an echo of time (I once was a club DJ in what seems a former life by now).

d2b2e4ba-b0c8-457a-8734-1c612ed5e712.JPG

I started by throwing everything out, repairing the floor and re-painting the walls.

4100f86e-8234-461d-8e3a-b12297ff4e0e.JPG

Here's the new workbench:

e1859e9f-c68b-48ae-a366-9dd38fd2aa8e.JPG

fc65b020-bce3-4d8b-9e3d-fb4daea6e3dd.JPG

And finally, some display space for the finished models!

They were resting in cardboard boxes and drawers before, and all of them were badly dusted.

f455f3e0-3a62-4f13-9c83-f9fa10cda88c.jpg

Got some room for my stash as well!

6c5c6751-d337-4d9b-8fae-d6910a265f02.JPG

910b1f25-a4df-4967-af96-9fa264153f13.JPG

Books on the shelf!

As you can see one of my Technics 1210 turntables was allowed to stay.

Not that it is actually connected and working, but I couldn't part from...

4f3f0186-5c2a-4ed4-a9a1-39e5d81e9383.JPG

Now time to get busy - no more excuses for not modelling!

The bogey behind the desk holds paints & the compressor.b1ff45d9-bb60-4470-8040-d3abf0efc5f3.JPG

Kind regards from Vienna, Austria.

Roman

Where did you get those display cabinets? I’ve been looking all

over for similar!

• Like 2

On 10/21/2020 at 9:20 PM, Steve_farrier said:

Where did you get those display cabinets? I’ve been looking all

over for similar!

Hello Steve, I had them made-to-measure by my carpenter.

Not the cheapest option, but I got exactly what I wanted!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
17 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

And a lot of wooden flooring to defeat the carpet monster too....

You wish ... I have white floor tiles in mine, and still bits disappear. Looking at your setup the carpet monster will have alerted his companions 'waste bin monster' and 'slightly ajar drawer monster' in readiness to receive.

And of course you have completely forgotten about the micro black hole which hovers over every modellers work bench.

Cheers

Colin

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

And a lot of wooden flooring to defeat the carpet monster too....

Simon.

Ah but you get the bounce and slide away monster that claims the parts not claimed by the smaller carpet monster plus there is the terrible breakage monster, that at best can inconvenience a build but at worst end it, ended 3 builds to date thanks to them landing on canopies. 

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Haha 1

• 5 weeks later...

I said I'd post pictures of my "Skunkwerks" I finally am. Floor space is 6 1/2' x 7'. The whole upstairs was refurbished. The red oak hardwood is original. I took the whole floor apart and turned the boards over, sanded, cleaned, cleared and remounted them. Only one room needed new red oak because there wasn't enough good pieces that could be saved. The house was built in 1905 and I'm pretty sure these boards came from the area as there were lots of oak trees around here before the city developed the area. The wall on the left was opened up and the studs changed to 2x8s with OSB for a wall. The heat ducting is in the lower wall.

DSC-3092.jpg

I had a white arborite bench top. But being white and the south sun coming in made it way to bright. I replaced it with a plywood table of the same shape and painted the flat green. I also made the two drawers. These hold the most used tools. I used to have those plastic drawer cart things which never open nicely. The dresser was also rebuilt with new bottoms in the drawers and new handles. That's where most of the less used tools, current projects and supplies go. The cabinet on the wall was made for me before. The whole thing is made from particle board. The doors were but when I changed it to a bifold, they were very heavy and sagged right away. I changed them to plywood which it half the weight and looks far better. I still haven't figured out what to put on them. In there I store future unbuilt resin parts stuff. I used the 1/72 B-36 as the guide for sizing everything. It's likely the biggest plane to get built on here. This one will get rebuilt eventually. I figured if it fits, anything else will. My idea is that sub assemblies will be built on the left and final assemblies will be done in the corner where the B-36 is parked. the brown magazine box has to still be repainted and mounted. It's where the paperwork for any current projects will be stored.

DSC-3094.jpg

DSC-3102.jpg

DSC-3100.jpg

The last wall was extended a couple years ago. It was supposed to be a paint booth with an exhaust going over top to the outside. The contractor I had never finished it or anything else in the house, even though I gave him a place to stay. The space is now small parts storage and the printer/computer station. The bench that's hanging down lifts up and had supports that swing out. It will hold the weight of the printer which has to be slid out to use. The laptop fits on top of the bench. Along the ceiling is all the computer/printer/scanner related equipment.

DSC-3096.jpg

The space at the bottom is for the little shopvac and extendable ladder storage. It opens from the other side with bifold doors. The old bankers boxes I found are great for storing decals. Keep in mind, I'm not a carpenter, still learning as I go.

• Like 3