Show us your modelling space / stash

Gorby

55 minutes ago, Tzulscha said:

Aha!

We may be on to something here!

You are suggesting some sort of time vortex then?

Hmm, it may be our desire to finish these kits generates enough energy to launch the parts into a future time where the kit is actually completed.

(Minus the time traveling part of course.)

I wonder if this phenomena could be harnessed to avoid visits by in-laws and sales people and the like....

No good I`m afraid..... they`d only turn up again in 6 months !

I had a theory about car parts ( spring washers, small clips, pins, screws etc ) : that there was a universal shortage  of these items, so aliens, when they detected one falling or pinging away would presume you didn`t want them, beam them up and store them until some other `being` needed one. Obviously whereever the bits were kept ( possibly Venus under all the clouds ) would, after time considering the size of the universe, fill up and there`d be no room left. So, if the parts weren`t used after 6 months, then they`d beam them back to the exact spot that you last saw it. I suppose the same could be true of: photo etched rear view mirrors, tiny clear nav` lights, etched throttle levers etc, etc. 

Hope this clears things up a bit.

Russ

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Gave the modelling space a clean up today and looked like a good chance to take some pics of it neat and tidy and show here on Britmodeller.

Enjoyed looking through the great set ups on the previous pages and great storage ideas too.

Great to see plenty of DIY around the place.

Anyway here's where I go to get away from it all, when possible.

From outside, Shed with big tools downstairs modelling space upstairs.

spacer.png

From just inside the door

spacer.png

As we move around the work space, display shelves with plastic sheet covers and storage of various bit and pieces.

spacer.png

Would love some glass display cases with lighting but until then I'm happy with what I've got at the moment. (one shelf needs some tweaking of the wiring)

spacer.png

Where the magic happens. Just finished the paint rack yesterday, pretty happy with it. Adding a few of AK's Real Colors to my trusty collection of Tamiya and Mr Hobby paints.

spacer.png

Homemade spray booth. MDF, fluro light and down light for illumination. 4 computer fans underneath suck fumes down and larger one on LHS sucks to outside.

spacer.png

The stash

Cupboard 1 - 1/48 Aircraft

spacer.png

Cupboard 2 -1/48 Aircraft continued

spacer.png

Cupboard 3 - 1/72 Aircraft & Figures

spacer.png

Cupboard 4 - 1/48 Aircraft again some 1/72 , 1/72 Helicopters, 1/35 AFVs, and Star Wars vehicles

spacer.png

And on the other side of the room behind the curtain we find...

spacer.png

But wait that's not all, you also get on your way out...

spacer.png

Memories (Yeah that's me taking a hanger in the far right photo) and other stuff on the walls

spacer.png

Cheers

Thanks for looking

Keep those great storage ideas coming.

• Like 8

And there's still not enough room to store everything!

I know I'm pretty lucky with the shed.

The only problem is modelling upstairs at is only an 8 month hobby. Too cold during the middle of the year here in  Tassy, but that's why we have footy season.

• Like 1

On 13/10/2019 at 12:33, Red Dog said:

Shed with big tools downstairs

I'd love to see the big boys toys on the lower floor (although for all I know, your shed-mansion could have a basement/wine cellar).

I'll show you mine if you show me yours:

b419dc083fcc1733775d2671781ccfa7.jpg

16bb67c22b44a7bb094d6de74e0655d0.jpg

I know mine isn't very big, but it's perfectly formed and apparently it's what you do with it that counts.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

🤣

The only big tool in my shed is me.

That's a great set up.

I concede yours is better than mine.

My next downstairs project is wiring up my camper trailer and SUV for dual battery to run a camp fridge. I'll be out there today doing that. May take my camera with me.

Cheers

• Like 3

Just looked up the 'The statute of limitations on theft' and I think your sweet. Besides it was from Hobart - the bottom end (literally and figuratively) of not only the state but also the country. 🤣 (I'm from the north of the state). As they say the best thing to come out of Hobart is the Bass Highway that leads to Launceston.

• Haha 5

• 7 months later...

Spent the last bit of time since March rebuilding my workspace and getting display cases made. Doing renos to the upstairs, mostly by myself. Had a contractor who never finished anything fully. Still lots to do, when I get further I'll post pictures.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

Spent the last bit of time since March rebuilding my workspace and getting display cases made. Doing renos to the upstairs, mostly by myself. Had a contractor who never finished anything fully. Still lots to do, when I get further I'll post pictures.

I'm glad you've revived this thread, it might make it more likely others will show off their work-spaces. 

I can’t recall posting anything here, but here goes.

49987577106_1029dd1a32_b.jpg

This is my office. It’s an old door supported on two Ikea trestles. I’m a professional model maker, building commissioned models of railway subjects, and building model planes as my pressure relief valve. Several railway projects can be seen amongst the clutter here. The main activity happens on an A2 cutting mat, supported on a sheet of tempered glass so it’s nice and flat. There’s a test track for running locos on at the back in front of the window, which looks out more or less northerly and out into the street so I can be nosey.

49987824937_1f31c87b91_b.jpg

To the right of where I sit is a mess. I’m hoping to arrange something better for the tools and storage soon. The plane stash lives here.

49987064218_0faa2c3e0d_b.jpg

Under the bench is an utter shambles. Things tend to get dumped here, but there’s still room for my legs so it must be okay.

49987064243_6ef0ec922b_b.jpg

To the left of the bench is this pile of pending commissions, and my paint booth. I can’t keep it all set up as I don’t have room. Behind us is a shelf unit with stock materials, and more pending commissions. I have so much work to do. I shouldn’t complain.

Periodically, I have a sort out, tidy up and rearrangement. One is overdue, mainly to rearrange the storage of tools and stuff that lives in a clutter on my right. I plan to get on with that this week.

There you are, then, Heather's actual workbench!

• Like 9

18 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

^ Looks suitably cluttered. And I bet you know where everything is :whistle:

Most of the time! I’ve got various ice cream tubs with drills, squares, clamps and so on. The worst thing is I tend to get a tool out to do one job and forget to put it back when I’ve finished with it. Before I know it, I’m working in a strip along the front of the bench, and we know how eager the carpet monsters can be when you do that!

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

There you are, then, Heather's actual workbench!

A proper workbench, nice and cluttered. Are those GWR clerestory coaches scratch or kit?

John.

2 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Are those GWR clerestory coaches scratch or kit?

They’re broad gauge, essentially brass etch kits from the Broad Gauge Society with a fair degree of scratchbuilding included. I really ought to finish them, though the client is in Australia and they won’t be shipped with the current unpleasantness going on.

• Thanks 1

This is indeed an inspirational thread - very interesting to see how everyone have arranged them self. 

My own workbench has been set-up in the study room. 

7d9a4d615e942e24f91d429c8cf01e0c.jpg

Well “workbench” might be a big word for an IKEA dressing table, but  that’s what would fit into the room. It’s quite handy though with a big drawer. 

Just next to the desk the boss has kindly allocated me a couple of shelves. The rest of the stash has (more or less successfully) been hidden around the house. 

f4d17f805a7da937d0a284ebb9f8beb2.jpg

The “gun” can be used in case unauthorized “house staff” should enter the room !!

On the opposite side of the room the paint area has been set-up. Think my next investment should be a foldable paint booth (and possible also a height upgrade of the table?). 

c1f167141d224ba40aa487170a3ed678.jpg

As I have only ever finished a single model since I picked up on the hobby again, finding space to display my work isn’t really an issue 😁

7a23622503147bd89ecddbdb111eb6df.jpg

Should the issue arise, there are plenty of space to put up some display shelves. So far the only wall decoration is an old display case with some 1/43 and H0 scale model cars and a couple of Vespa’s. 

09a9a52a4a0d019c8de1531f7d694615.jpg

Thanks for watching and keep posting pictures of your modelling safehavens. 

Cheers

Johnny b 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Gorby said:

I'm glad you've revived this thread, it might make it more likely others will show off their work-spaces. 

I'm surprised it jumped back to life. I want to show before and after, so far I just have the before pictures. Currently it's an empty room.

• Like 1

Workspace and a good part of the stash (wide angle).

Airbrush & compressor are just outside the shot on the left as I'm lefthanded ;) sorry :P

The plastic containers are drawers, so a lot of the supplies  - sanders, mixing cups, tools, paints, AM parts, decal sheets -  are stored there.

But they're also handy to stick works in progress in - or on. 

Also in the process of reorganising, so the right hand cupboard is about to be cleared for more stash space.

y4m8teEpyomGP_1NItElbdak91zaEde1oWDFxVM6

• Like 1

My current workshop, brick-walled, with polystyrene-backed plasterboard for insulation and covered-in ceiling with roof insulation above it. Don't actually have much of a stash these days, generally just buy more or less only stuff that I have some intention of building (with a few exceptions of course! ). Full-width worktop down the far end where the chair is, kit building is carried out on there, and the window is South facing so always plenty of light, although there are side windows and fluorescent light tubes for dark days and night working. Workshop is almost 10m in length, nice to have plenty of space (not just for model making) and all my modelling equipment is in there such as airbrush,  small and large compressors (with air tanks), Dremel,  vacuum pump/vacuum chamber for void-free silicone mould making and resin casting, paints, adhesives, tools, fire extinguisher etc etc. As you can see, I also share the workshop with my bicycle and motorbike (GSXR, in Blue and White, the best scheme of course .... :D ). Note the knee-friendly piece of carpet, for when I am working on the GSXR...... :) 

50016080816_e131e9c7c8_o.jpg

B)

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

I've been asked where do I intend to put 3 to 5 1/72 C-130 Hercules coming down the line:

Moggy's model aircraft hangars:

yTYYQtp.jpg

Living room - latest (and possibly nicest) models.

Mirror wall and extra shelves by local glassmaker!

xsQjiYt.jpg

Hobby room -1

Started life as a 900 liter aquarium. Stands on 4 caster wheels; had 7 shelves cut by the glassmaker (again), IKEA garderobe door (!). Front window 1.6 cm (more than 1/2 in)

thick. Totally childproof.

55 x 54 cm (21 x 20 in.) shelves. 22 cm (9 in) separation between shelves: 1/72 Hercules height plus 2 cm to spare :)

I'm adding lights late this summer

a9u08qa.jpg j6ES0gS.jpg

Hobby room -2

Again: 41 x 47 cm 16 x 19 in) with enough separation for up to Hercules aircraft. Moving shelves up or down to adjust for aircraft size. Shelves courtesy of glassmaker.

Top part to house Start Trek spaceships :)

Picture taken in an earlier flat - nowadays it is in the hobby room not in the hall ;) as shown by the second picture

esnIg39.jpg

29 x 75 cm ( 12 x 30 in) shelves (courtesy of the glassmaker again)

In use as general dump 😜 hopefully to be replaced by COMPLETED scale models!

xRLXQsH.jpg

General view of disaster area hobby room with said model repositories (picture taken today - other pictures may be up tp 13 years old 😇 )

None of this were bought at full price - the aquarium costed me £5!

Sorry for the crappy pictures :(

Cheers, Moggy (waiting for dividends from local glassmaker co.)

• Like 6