Show us your modelling space / stash

Gorby

DSC_0130

DSC_0131

This arrived in the post to work yesterday 😍

I thought about making one myself at work, however, the amount of time it'd have taken plus materials it was much cheaper to work overtime and buy one. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Jered said:

This arrived in the post to work yesterday

There's posh!

Don't forget, we want to see the blood stains when the chaos descends. 😜

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

Right finally some semblance of tidy enough to think about either carrying on with the falcon or starting something from the modest stash

IMG_0101_zpslxz01idf.jpg

IMG_0102_zpscrf69idk.jpg

The other parts of the room are a mass of power tools and books 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, BadKarma75 said:

The other parts of the room are a mass of power tools and books 

qb1WpVb8c8YjG8gHQ1fI7phQ_KzbmHHtDIQzip9I

Those are some heavy duty modelling tools, what do you use, sheet steel?

• Haha 4

8 minutes ago, Gorby said:

qb1WpVb8c8YjG8gHQ1fI7phQ_KzbmHHtDIQzip9I

Those are some heavy duty modelling tools, what do you use, sheet steel?

Pahaha nah, I’m also the main contractor for Mrs Karma’s rather large dolls house so some larger cutty & squeezy things are regularly in service 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 4 months later...

The Gorby sanctuary has been reborn.

Mrs Gorby's been on at me for years about sorting out what she calls 'That doss-hole', and I've finally given in – the carpet monster was nearly thirty years old after all and getting to the end of its natural life span, so I painlessly put it out of its misery (by slashing it into small pieces with a Stanley knife). During the autopsy of the carpet beast, the contents of its gut included several parts that I didn't know that I'd lost. The room ended up being a bigger job than I first thought, but I've finally got to the end – well …… sort of……… nearly….. almost. It's the sort of project that gets added to or altered as you use the space. There's still quite a lot of stuff to find somewhere to live (hence the stuff on the floor).

It was a lot of work, but it's a much nicer space to be in.

If you want to see how it was, go to the top of page one.

This is the modelling side of the room:

My+Room+1.JPG                   My+Room+2.JPG

The extractor is in the corner because of the bulging pipe bit at the back, but it has the added advantage of allowing me to rest my arm when I'm spraying. The drawer unit is actually two desk organisers, but they are perfect for the myriad items that any self respecting modeller can't do without these days. Apparently grey is the new black, or blue or violet or whatever the last 'new colour' was ten minutes ago, I'm happy with grey as it's the colour of dust, so it seems to be a good idea for my room.

Incidentally, the greenhouse was a retirement present when my farther in law retired from the Alvis. The apprentices made it for him together with some aluminium tools. I re-glazed it about twenty years ago.

I used vinyl flooring rather than the usual cheap laminate in the hope that the casters on the chair wouldn't sound downstairs, like a roller skating baby elephant, and it's worked.

This is the non modelling side of the room – massively de-cluttered. The drawers under the worktop on both side of the room, are from an old Ikea drawer unit

My+Room+3.JPG

I had to strip the room back to this state.

My+Room+4.JPG

I recently grew tired of having to go outside to use rattle cans, so I got an extractor thingy. I've notice that quite a few peeps use them without the venting tube, but when I tried it there was still quite a strong smell. Oddly enough, when I produce noxious odours, I keep hearing a very irritating nagging noise from outside the room. Strange that, I'll have to ask Mrs Gorby if she can hear it.

Admittedly it isn't beautiful, but I think it looks better than the alternative bendy round pipe, particularly as for the right length of pipe, the only colours I could find where black, silver or orange. This one I primed and painted the same colour as the walls. The cost of the bits is quite reasonable, with the exception of the brackets. Originally I thought I needed four brackets, but thought £14 was a rip off. I put the brain into first gear (it's normally in neutral) and worked out a way of doing it with just one bracket. The air vent is adjustable, so when I want to expel poisonous gasses, I just shut the vent. It doesn't solve the stink problem 100%, but it's certainly significantly better and definitely worth £37.71. I bought it from a well know South American river and its called 'Kair System 100 Rectangular'. (The black blob is dust inside my camera lens).

My+Room+5.JPG

I've fitted the little shelf for the compressor. I can hear you saying “Why not just put it on the floor”, to which I would reply “Damn, I'm hearing voices again”. I've fitted some rubber pads between the bracket and the wall in the hope that it will reduce the vibrations. The compressor now sits on a rubber mat, which also helps.

My+Room+6.JPG

The oak for the paint rack started it's death as a floorboard off-cut. If I can I like to make things that are a little bit different to everything else, but unless you go for flashing neon lights or trained budgies there isn't much that would be feasible. As part of my new 'every tool needs a home' policy, I'm using the underside of the lower shelf with the aid of a steel strip and some small, but ridiculously strong magnets.

My+Room+7.JPG

The bog standard brushes sit in a pot, but the ones with a specific use, cling limped like to the side of the paint rack. I was going to put a label on the block of wood to show which is which, but the grain was soooooo nice.

My+Room+8.JPG

And a simple solution to rat-tail file storage.

My+Room+9.JPG

Hopefully one day I'm going to get the chance to actually use use the room rather than doing all this bloody DIY stuff.

• Like 9

21 minutes ago, Gorby said:

Hopefully one day I'm going to get the chance to actually use use the room rather than doing all this bloody DIY stuff.

Nonsense, man. You're doing a splendid job. Stick with what you're good at.

BTW, I hope you'e installed a new anti carpet monster net?

BTW, I've seen shops with less Tamiya paint pots!

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

BTW, I hope you'e installed a new anti carpet monster net?

I have been warned that the vinyl beast can be worse than the carpet monster. Apparently, rather than eat the part, it thrives on the emotional turmoil it causes by sending parts miles away from the logical impact area. :o

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Thank you so much Pete

This room was normally planned for a kid, but i dont have kids, so i use it since 2001 as my hobby room.

Edited by Harry Callahan
  • Like 1

Oh that's a nice modelling room, did you clean up before the pictures?

Everything looks so tidy ... must be one of that German qualities!

Extra likes for the Bf-109 poster.

Cheers from VIE

Roman

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Harry Callahan said:

This room is normally planned for a kid, but i dont have kids, so i use it since 2001 as my hobby room.

Not having kids is the perfect excuse (as if you really need one) for staying a kid yourself.

Very neat and tidy little shop you have there. 

I hope some day to have a neat and tidy shop

But that would involve effort on my part....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Roman@ Thank you for liking my room, and to be honest i didnt clean up before the photo shooting, i dont feel comfortable if the room looks like the pure chaos. The Bf-109 poster is a reprint of an oil art by Heinz Krebs number 123 of 1500 with original signature by Erich Hartmann and Adolf Galland, it cost this time 400 DM, but i got it for 240 DM, coz a very very little scratch on the print.

Tzulscha@ Thank you mate i press both thumbs for you, who knows one day you will get a one.............

Edited by Harry Callahan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Everyone, saw this thread a while back, then forgot about it until yesterday. So in the unlikely event that anyone`s interested 🙂.........

Here`s where I pass the time whilst the Boss watches East Enders, Love Island and the like

skzqFos.jpg

In the cupboard the Mitchell box is the decal stash, the F-111 and B-57 boxes are the spares stash. Hiding in the dark on the top shelf is a 3/4 finished RAAF P-40 in the Sea cobra box.

A close up of the `work bench`........... with latest project in progress and last completed kit, which I haven`t yet decided which old kit to sacrifice to make room for it on the shelves. 

ZUYdadV.jpg

Which also comes in handy for serving and eating meals on !!

I imagine I`ve bored you enough.

Enjoy the rest of the day, 

Cheers Russ

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, russ c said:

Which also comes in handy for serving and eating meals on !!

That reminds me of doing my modelling on the dining table when I was kid.

Only with fewer tools, and with fewer paints, and fewer cutting mats (or rather, no cutting mats), and not such good models at the end. So…. there isn't many similarities to be honest.

Ignore me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

50 minutes ago, Gorby said:

Only with fewer tools, and with fewer paints, and fewer cutting mats (or rather, no cutting mats), and not such good models at the end. So…. there isn't many similarities to be honest.

Ignore me.

I get through cutting mats quite regularly, not through cutting but by getting glue on them, doesn`t matter how hard I try, I`d swear it`s clean when I pack the stuff away......next time out, there`s a blob of glue dried on it ! ?

• Like 1

On 7/11/2019 at 5:00 PM, Gorby said:

Ignore me.

ignore who?

• Haha 2

On 11/07/2019 at 12:00, Gorby said:

Ignore me.

Well it was different times then wasn't it?

We only had three colours of paint in my day.

Red , blue, yellow and black...

Four colours.

If you don't include white...

Damn.

As a general side note on the hard floor comment.

I have seen (briefly) a small part dropped to the floor, leap like a salmon heading upstream to spawn and vanish in mid air.

At least with a carpet monster, I may find the part when I eventually rip out the carpeting.

One can live in hope...

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, Tzulscha said:

Well it was different times then wasn't it?

We only had three colours of paint in my day.

Red , blue, yellow and black...

Four colours.

If you don't include white...

Damn.

As a general side note on the hard floor comment.

I have seen (briefly) a small part dropped to the floor, leap like a salmon heading upstream to spawn and vanish in mid air.

At least with a carpet monster, I may find the part when I eventually rip out the carpeting.

One can live in hope...

Actually they turn up again about 6 months later in exactly the same spot they disappeared ??  It`s the same phenomena as when you drop something small when working on the car. 

Unless it`s a transparency, in which case the very next person in the room will find it with a sickening crunch.😬

2 hours ago, russ c said:

Actually they turn up again about 6 months later in exactly the same spot they disappeared ??  It`s the same phenomena as when you drop something small when working on the car. 

Unless it`s a transparency, in which case the very next person in the room will find it with a sickening crunch.😬

Aha!

We may be on to something here!

You are suggesting some sort of time vortex then?

Hmm, it may be our desire to finish these kits generates enough energy to launch the parts into a future time where the kit is actually completed.

(Minus the time traveling part of course.)

I wonder if this phenomena could be harnessed to avoid visits by in-laws and sales people and the like....

• Haha 1