Show us your modelling space / stash

Gorby

Morning Chaps :bye:

Ohhhh, electronic locks on the hobby room.... :) 

oh wait, that wont work, I don't have a door :( 

Come on, you can all just SEE your better half's face if you have an electronic lock on your hobby room. They'll think there's naked serving wenches and all sorts in there :) 

Edited by MAD STEVE
  • Haha 7

That is a mechanical code lock, no electrics needed. And if my lady wants to see if their are serving wenches in my cave, there is a nice window.

To be honest, she knows what the code is any way, how is she supposed to bring a coffee or beer to me.

Stuart

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Courageous said:

...how is she supposed to bring a coffee or beer to me.

Stuart

You get room service... WOW!!! 

Clearly I booked the wrong package when I ordered my hobby room, my room service remote seems to be broken :) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I know it's obligatory, so here we go.

42405149221_9c99e412e0_b.jpg

I work from home as a professional model maker. As Best Beloved is (was, sadly, due to various medical things we don't need to go into) also a prolific modeller, we have a shared understanding of a model maker's wants and needs. This is why I have taken over our living room as my workshop! My bench is an old door, supported on a pair of trestles, with a north light window overlooking the street. It is currently home to seven client commission builds (O gauge railway subjects), as well as the regular incursion from more interesting (to me, at least) subjects with wings and whirly bits on them.

42405148711_8afe772387_b.jpg

Client work under way includes an upgrading session on a Heljan Class 37 loco, five Mark One coach kits, four GWR broad gauge coaches, two Festiniog Railway narrow gauge locos, a GWR Small Prairie, Lancashire & Yorkshire tank engine, and a GWR Collett Goods almost finished.

42405148951_0dd8f05983_b.jpg

Meanwhile, this lot is waiting their turn. Many more coaches, and several more locos. Eeek!

42405148441_08b95b00fa_b.jpg

My plastic kit stash, by contrast to most, is compact and bijou, reflecting my focus on my main historical interest and scale. The big red box bottom left now only contains a big German bomber, the He111 being the only large Luftwaffe type unbuilt in my collection. The French Air Force is making itself felt, too, with the Italians waving from the sidelines. I fear the Trumpeter Wellington might remain unbuilt once the new Airfix one arrives. The curse of researching the best available kit, purchasing it, and then the new tooling is announced. :angry:You will note, however, a couple of 1/48th scale incursions, which will be extended slightly when Airfix released the Blenheim MkI later. I couldn't resist, like the Defiant and the refueller… 

42405149401_f6dfaee739_b.jpg

Bulging at the seams, is the solitary display cabinet with my 1/72nd scale model air warfare museum. It began life as an Ikea cabinet with four glass shelves. Earlier this year I invested in some extra shelves and pegs, but it's already full! I'm having to restrict new builds to small aeroplanes as there isn't room for anything large at present. A friend, a keen woodworker, has been asked if he'd help design and construct a much larger display cabinet. Yes, that is a TSR2 at the top, by the bye. That's a story for another day, perhaps with a thread of its own. Suffice to say it's probably my favourite, along with many other modellers, should-have-been aircraft.

• Like 17

4 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

My bench is an old door, supported on a pair of trestles, with a north light window overlooking the street.

If it works, that's all that matters. I see a lot of wingey things there with whirley bits, but nothing with stickey out in front things that go BANG. Shame.

BTW. If you know of anyone who wants a load of part started railway kits of various description, along with a load of books, let me know, as I got out of that hobby a long time ago, but still have a lot of the stuff.

John. 

16 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

I see a lot of wingey things there with whirley bits, but nothing with stickey out in front things that go BANG. Shame.

BTW. If you know of anyone who wants a load of part started railway kits of various description, along with a load of books, let me know, as I got out of that hobby a long time ago, but still have a lot of the stuff.

I believe all the things with sticky out bits that go BANG are already in the display cabinet. Mind you, most of the French planes fit that category quite well, too. :wink:

Rather than drag this thread OT, it might help if you could compile a list of the railway stuff you have. A couple of railway modelling forums have places where you might be able to sell things, though they tend to restrict new members from selling anything before they've posted a certain amount of normal content to avoid scammers/spammers. Of course there's that well-known online auction place.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

At last I have pictures to show. Thanks Imgur.

This was the coal shed and garden shed built on the back of the garage.

Knocked through, new door into the garage and old doors bricked up.

I've insulated and boarded it out so I have a space around 10ft by 7ft.

Going clockwise with the entrance door on the left of the picture, we have....

am7rqcj.jpg

Bits and bobs shelves. Decals, various spares boxes, etc.

ZZUv1pa.jpg

More bits shelving and the desk (built from bits of wood, screwed to wall). Fireballs in (longterm) progress.

uT8a8zH.jpg

Above the desk, car shelves. All built years ago when I was in Riyadh. One day I may do RFI pics for them.

BTW the mirror helps to reflect the light in there.

LitDc5f.jpg

Aircraft theme pump clips and old Frog models with some Sci fi on top of the cabinet.

dqEkuu9.jpg

Old china cabinet scrounged free from a Lincoln pub and top shelves full of kreiger scratchbuilds.

ugUYK8g.jpg

Bottom shelf, more cars, Gundam and scratchbuilt autogiro.

twq1d7d.jpg

Plastic baskets full of yet more car models, Airfix quickbuild 109, (got it cheap!) Spice rack for Tamiya acrylics

& the kettle with 1976 Airfix magazines.

bQElyuw.jpg

Box of models dating back to the seventies. Under that, Lots of desktop models of Saudi aircraft that I

must get around to selling someday.

Qtsp0xc.jpg

The last corner. On the shelf, Hugo Boss Orange aftershave containers for a future build. On the right, 

stash number two (number one is in the house).

Ept5mMv.jpg

Another stash view. Most will be sold off when I get sorted. I used pallet boards to line the walls and there

were some spaces between them which take pieces of glass from old photo frames to display models.

12wOmsV.jpg

And, on the right, we're back at the door. Love the Rotodyne picture. Old kit boxes (Capri etc) the brown bit 

is stapled to the wood and the top is slipped over that. (They are not good enough to be worth anything).

YPvnytz.jpg

Ex RAF bookshelf acquired decades ago with more kits, rattlecans, airbrush stuff and boxes dating back

to when I was on the Puma OCU so that is pre late 1983. 

D314yH6.jpg

And, back at the desk, In the mirror, Yours truly. (I forgot to smile). Doh!

As always, all comments, insults and envelopes of money gratefully received.

Pete

• Like 11

That place looks fantastic @Pete in Lincs , although personally I'd put the gargoyle (shown on the last photo) in the garden to scare the neighbors cats.

Your 'angry toddler' avatar does look like a young you.

• Haha 4

Thanks, Gorby.

I would have liked a bigger space but hey, you go with what you got.

There's an oil filled radiator under the desk so not too bad in the winter.

My main problem is finding the time to get in there.

Oh, the stash indoors is bigger, but needs reducing.

• Like 1

Nice one Pete :) 

I now must apologise....

I have been making fun of your owl since 2014, but now I see that one make cars as well, I feel like a bit of a doosh now.... :) 

Sooooo sorry old chap, it was the tablets/devil/glue/cheese made me do it

Yes I LOOOOOOOOOVE your Owl :(

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

This was the coal shed and garden shed built on the back of the garage.

Should have the modelling equivalent of one of them blue placques on the outside. Handsome space Pete. :thumbsup2:

• Like 1

I'm sure it came as the Ambulance. I have an ECTO 1 built as an Ambulance in one of those blue plastic containers. 

Plus other Police cars. I went through a huge American car phase back then. They were cheap in Riyadh (An American

hardware store called True Value) and were being sold off in the Works for 1.99 or something like that too.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Ahh, I think it is time for me to 'reveal nearly all'. When I decided to get back into the hobby (in late 2014) I was living in China and preparing to move back to the wonderful land of Oz. In anticipation I bought some kits off the Chinese version of Amazon for prices that ended up being far cheaper than I could get the kits in Australia, and to send them to Oz I got rid of the boxes (important for later photos of the stash).

To cut a long story short I now live in the sunny north of Queensland.

My modelling space is in the downstairs storeroom, which is NOT environmentally sealed, meaning that dust and everything can blow in under the wall and through the 'door'. Sorry for the appearance, I really have to clean it out more often there.

First a warning:

Man Cave Sign

Now the space.

The Workbench

With the small bookcase

Bookshelf in the Man Cave

And now the stash piles not organized in any great way, but all in 1/72, or 1/76 for some of the Airfix figures and vehicles:

The Stash Part 6

Couple of Hawker Demons, P-47s, Hasegawa P-51Ds, and even a Frog-spawn Vultee Vengeance in there.

The Stash Part 5

Classic Airfix kits

Some of my Airfix classics. The box lurking at the bottom is a Fokker F.27 Friendship.

Some of the Stash Part 1

Top left box is the Testors/Italeri DC-3.

Some of the Stash Part 2

Some of the Stash Part 3

Some of the Stash Part 4

On the bottom shelf resides the new tool Airfix Dambusters Lanc, an Italeri Horsa, and some other wingy things.

There are a few more kits hiding in various places, along with some resin figures and engines, plus my decal stash but I think that is enough for this thread.

:pilot:

DennisTheBear

• Like 5

On 7/7/2018 at 10:40 AM, Pete in Lincs said:

And, on the right, we're back at the door. Love the Rotodyne picture. Old kit boxes (Capri etc) the brown bit 

is stapled to the wood and the top is slipped over that. (They are not good enough to be worth anything).

"I spy with my little eye" something beginning with Dinky toy Eagle!

Very nice, as well as the modelling studio workspace.

• Like 2

On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 3:40 AM, Pete in Lincs said:

And, back at the desk, In the mirror, Yours truly. (I forgot to smile). Doh!

As always, all comments, insults and envelopes of money gratefully received.

Pete

With a little Photo Shop we could give you a nice cheesy grin !

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Mick4350 said:

With a little Photo Shop we could give you a nice cheesy grin !

It doesn't take much.

10 hours ago, hairystick said:

"I spy with my little eye" something beginning with Dinky toy Eagle!

Very nice, as well as the modelling studio workspace.

Yes, It was a car boot sale or jumble sale buy decades ago. To restore or not to restore, that is the question.

And yes, I like it in there. Trouble is, finding the time!

22 hours ago, DennisTheBear said:

Some of the Stash Part 2

Can't  help comparing that 90th anniversary RAF collection with the current  100th anniversary set and feeling more than a little short-changed by the more recent one......!!

I recently overhauled my workspace which is situated on an Ikea glass desk in my garage. The key for me was designing some custom paint racks to hold paint bottles and pots from various manufacturers that would allow for easy identification as well as easy retrieval and reorganization. I had previously been using a Vallejo Paint Stand as well as an Angel Giraldez Custom Paint Rack but they didn't offer the range of sizes for various paints I use, some of which are 30+ year old Tamiya pots. Reorganizing paints was always a chore since it felt like I was playing a pegboard game shuffling all the bottles to insert a new one. I wanted something where I could easily identify each bottle and when reorganizing, just push a new bottle in and the others would make way.

Here's the finished workspace with my custom paint racks. Next I'll explain the process I went through creating them.

IMG_1379.jpg

To begin, I modeled some of the bottles I typically use in 3D and then built some racks based around the dimensions of the bottles and the available space I had to work with. Below are renders of the models I built for scale: a Badger Minitaire bottle, a Vallejo Pigment bottle and a Vallejo Dropper Bottle. I went a little overboard on creating the labels. ;)

Paint-Bottle-Models.jpg

My initial concept was too small, just three rows, but I wanted to test out the strength of the design since I would be fabricating it on my brother's Glowforge laser cutter using 1/8" (3.17mm) MDF board. The initial 3D model is shown below.

paint-rack-moi-model.jpg

A rendering of the initial concept design.

Paint-Rack-Concept-01.jpg

The central support spine was not quite enough when fully loaded and the shelves sagged ever so slightly, so I went back to the drawing board. The next design added two additional shelves and was narrowed from 50cm to 40cm so that I could  comfortably fit three shelves, side-by-side on my desk. The 20° tilt of of the shelves was perfect for preventing the bottles from falling out without requiring a lip for retention.

vertical_paint_rack.jpg

Another rendering of the rack loaded up with paint bottles. I got lazy and rendered this one in all black rather than trying to replicate the MDF board texture and the scorched edges of the laser cut sides.

Paint-Rack-Concept-03-oblique.jpg

Next, I wanted another rack that would accommodate my entire set of 84 Badger Minitaire Airbrush paints. Since I generally use a color reference chart for the Minitaire paints and I had the color ID numbers written on the caps, I wanted to orient them horizontally for more compact storage. Thus, the next design was born which allowed for horizontal storage of the Minitaire line along with two additional general purpose shelves.

horizontal_paint_rack.jpg

And here's the final product with two general purpose racks on the left and a Minitaire-specific rack on the right.

IMG_1380.jpg

IMG_1382.jpg

IMG_1381.jpg

Overall, I'm really happy with how these turned out and it's made a big difference in keeping my workspace tidy since it's so easy for me to retrieve or replace the paint rather than letting them clutter up the desk.

Edited by teddylindsey
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, teddylindsey said:

IMG_1381.jpg

Nice rack! (Sorry I couldn't resist that).

Are you intending to market those? If you could produce them at a reasonable price I'm sure there are plenty of people who would love them.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, IanHx said:

Can't  help comparing that 90th anniversary RAF collection with the current  100th anniversary set and feeling more than a little short-changed by the more recent one......!!

The Gladiator in this collection is the VERY old one which has the pilot's head moulded to the fuselage halves, but then I love the classic Airfix kits.

Overall I think most of the collections Airfix release are pretty good value, but I don't understand the strategy of their century collection.

DennisTheBear

7 hours ago, teddylindsey said:

horizontal_paint_rack.jpg

I LIKE it!

And I want one. Actually I want several.

Arranging paint so that it takes up the least amount of space is always a huge problem.

Any chance of making a DXF file available?

Just market these things!

• Like 1