1/48 - Supermarine Spitfire Mk.XIc "beer delivery" (new parts) by ICM - released

Homebee

ICM is to release a 1/48th Supermarine Spitfire Mk.XIc "beer delivery" kit - ref. 48060

New tool apply to the beer barrels, not the airframe.

Source: http://www.icm.com.ua/news/501-spitfire-mkixc-beer-delivery-wwii-british-fighter.html  

Box art

1500635258_48060_web_en.jpg

3D renders

Spitfire Mk.IXC 'Beer Delivery', WWII British Fighter

Spitfire Mk.IXC 'Beer Delivery', WWII British Fighter

Spitfire Mk.IXC 'Beer Delivery', WWII British FighterSpitfire Mk.IXC 'Beer Delivery', WWII British Fighter

V.P.

MattMemory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 1

That's quite a surprising release. You would have thought they'd be better off going for the Mk.XIV sized gap in the market though.

Will be interesting to see what it's like though, but I'm a little cautious of them after their I-16, not that I really need any more Mk.IX's.

Edited by Tbolt

• 1 month later...

Dam, my heart skipped a beat when I read the title. Thought that there was a Spitfire version I hadn't heard of.

Spitfire Mk.XIc? I was hoping it would be a a typo and we finally would get a Mk.XI recon spit.

Oh, all kidding aside, the title probably needs to be changed.

/Johan

Edited by flarpen

On 11/09/2017 at 12:03 AM, janneman36 said:

Does it contain New Castle brown ale!!!!

Extremely unlikely.  It was all South coast and beer in barrels didn't travel in those days, as there was still a brewery in many towns.  So far I have seen photos of Spits carrying beer from brewerys in

• Romsey (Strong's - my local and the owner of Hursley Park where the Supermarine drawing office relocated and some experimental Spitfires were built so seems likely to me this would be the first beer)
  • Chichester
  • Guildford

Although bottles of beer were apparently also stashed around the planes on occasion.

Cheers 

Will 

Edited by malpaso
Improve the sense
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

I hate to burst everyone's bubble, but the only new tool parts in this kit are the beer barrels. It's identical to the old kit otherwise, right down to the sink marks along the aileron hinge lines.

it does look strangely similar to the old tool kit if we are to believe these are 100% new moulds --- old kit for reference --  https://www.super-hobby.com/products/item_name-189105.html

1 hour ago, gavingav said:

it does look strangely similar to the old tool kit if we are to believe these are 100% new moulds --- old kit for reference --  https://www.super-hobby.com/products/item_name-189105.html

It's not just similar, it's identical.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VMA131Marine said:

It's not just similar, it's identical.

Yes, i just wonder why they put the 100% new moulds on the original promotional material, anybody who buys one is going to be in for a bit of a shock, considering it will probably be priced at eduard weekend edition prices then I'll stick with eduard and aftermarket decals . 

17 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

I hate to burst everyone's bubble, but the only new tool parts in this kit are the beer barrels. It's identical to the old kit otherwise, right down to the sink marks along the aileron hinge lines.

ICM Spitfires are very good shapewise. They revised the original mold not too long after the initial release (Sink marks problems... I can remember the wheels ....). NEW MOLD apply to the beer barrels ! ( I agree they could have stated it ! )

Anyway THE PROBLEM with the ICM Spits is the main landing gear track that is too narrow ! And that's the real BIG problem of the kit... Nothing else.

Real Spit fans didn't wait for Mr. Dikke Nek Eduard  to create jewels out of it ! 

Madcop :D

Here is a ICM Mk.XVIe from Jacques VERMEULEN .  Real nice work.

spitfi10.jpg

spitfi11.jpg

• 4 weeks later...