Robo-pterodactyl (Zoids Pteras)

Thanks Nick :)

I just picked up the (now base-coated) fuelling platform and dropped it on the floor, so rather than weathering it tonight I shall be waiting for the handrail glue to dry! C'est la vie...

W

Better late than never.

Good to see this one back.

I like the pilot. There's a touch of Sixties Sci fi there with his costume.

Eagle Comic, Rise and fall of the Trigan Empire.

https://bearalley.blogspot.com/2008/12/trigan-empire-collection.html

Grey stripes on the shoulder pads would match the flier?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Will Vale said:

Thanks Nick :)

I just picked up the (now base-coated) fuelling platform and dropped it on the floor, so rather than weathering it tonight I shall be waiting for the handrail glue to dry! C'est la vie...

W

Oh no! Just slap some paint on and call it battle damage! :D

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I like the pilot. There's a touch of Sixties Sci fi there with his costume.

Grey stripes on the shoulder pads would match the flier?

Yes there is rather. The Zoids pilots in the TV series' are quite flamboyant dressers (and mostly have deely bobbers/cyber chopsticks in their hair) and the gladiator seemed like a good starting point for that.

I wondered about a stripe and then did the letter Z, which is maybe enough on the left. Possibly medals/rank insignia on the right with a couple of small coloured stripes and a tiny square of aluminium tape?

The suit is supposed to provide a bit of blue-grey although it's not colour-matched to the Pteras.

1 hour ago, Hunter Rose said:

Oh no! Just slap some paint on and call it battle damage! :D

Solution to many woes! I've got the handrail fixed back now, so yep, time to add some rust where the glue marked it :)

Will

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Well if I'm not finished I'm very close :) I painted the gantry thing and weathered it with enamels and oils, then sealed It with Dullcote in a bottle. I know I've gone on about how great Alclad Klear Kote Flat is (and it is) but the airbrushed Dullcote is probably even better for flatness and it's a proper lacquer so none of that enamel tackiness. 10/10.

Last night I put all the pieces together, including my pre-formed hoses which clicked into place just so. Obviously I was doing a good job of planning ahead this time last year.

45656254582_179d0e5bed_b.jpg

I think *maybe* a tiny bit more vegetation would be good, and I wouldn't mind seeing some extra cables, but it might also be finished?

Cheers,

Will

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/4/2018 at 10:46 AM, AndyRM101 said:

Maybe some thinner wires, like data cables, hanging down from the chest or cockpit?

I haven't forgotten this build, but that suggestion (which ties into things I've wanted to do and maybe mentioned above) stalled me rather. I wasn't sure how to do or justify the cabling.

I thought for a while that I wanted to have some disks attached to the model a bit like ECG electrode pads, with the cables leaving those. And then I'd need something for them to plug in to like a laptop? And I didn't think I had any small enough round enough parts.

I've been musing about this on and off for a week or so and decided that I could swap things round, and use a round part (tank hubcap again) to be the data logger and drill out/cut down some 1mm styrene strip into little blocky "shoes" that can be attached to the Zoid as sensors.

I've just built all that and it looks like two Xerox Alto mice wired to a portable George Foreman grill, so I'm quite happy :) need to let the varnish dry and glue the sensors to the model then I can put it all together on the pad.

Cheers for the suggestions :)

Will

• Like 2

Cheers :) Here it is stuck on, I've just been brushing a little matt varnish here and there to fix some difficult-to-reach shiny spots like between the claws.

32123836898_923aac5a25_b.jpg

The cables run down to logger sitting on the back corner of the refuelling platform. I guess a camp table might've been more appropriate but I think there's enough stuff on there already.

45945350092_589049e960_b.jpg

Some vegetation tweaks and maybe some gentle detail weathering on the Zoid and that should be it!

Will 

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Bit of a long gap there, there have been two local orienteering events per week lately (or so it seems) and a lot of end of year work stuff. But I think mostly I've been afraid to finish this. Partly indecision about the vegetation (how much, what kind, should it even be there?) and partly fear of finding something else which I need to do which will stop me drawing a line under it.

Anyhow, today I added some more vegetation (grass tufts top and bottom, and tiny spots of scatter and Silflor in the cracks) which isn't entirely correct for the prototype but does help tie the different areas of the scene together:

45544130354_69c855956f_b.jpg

I also weathered the tail joint and built up the oil spill under the Zoid and around the refuelling hose attachment, the latter mostly to hide a small gap in the heat-shrink.

45355009965_6e3be1962c_b.jpg

Hopefully that's it, unless I spot something bad in the photos. I feel like there should be more weathering but I don't *really* want to do it, and the cleaner yellow contrasts quite well with the natural stuff, so time to stop.

I'll take some final pics if it's cloudy tomorrow.

Cheers,

Will

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Will Vale said:

Hopefully that's it, unless I spot something bad in the photos. I feel like there should be more weathering but I don't *really* want to do it, and the cleaner yellow contrasts quite well with the natural stuff, so time to stop.

I agree about leaving it there, and the contrast. Its a really nice (pretentious hat on) juxtaposition (pretentious hat off) between the scenery, and the clean technological look of the zoid.

I think its definitely hit that danger area where more weathering may just spoil it, I'm looking forward to final pics Will, this looks quality!

• Like 2