Blitzbuild 2017 GB Chat

Just a reminder that the 2017 Blitzbuild GB is approaching.

This was a huge success last year so we have decided to do it every year.   This year it will run from Saturday 26 August to midnight on Monday 28 August.  It fits nicely around the bank holiday.

However, you don't get three days to finish your model.  You get 24 hours!  :yikes: 

This can be done in two ways:

1.  The Superhero Option   Complete your model in a single 24 hour time slot

2.  The Other Option  :)   Complete your model in two 12 hour slots, seperated by no more than 12 hours.  Still pretty heroic, if you ask me.  You can start on the Saturday and finish on the Sunday or start on the Sunday and finish on the Monday. 

Start a WIP thread with a start photo showing the time, ( a mobile phone/tablet screen/computer screen will suffice), then as many progress pics as you want (but at least six) and finally a finish photo again showing the time.

Bonus kudos points will be given for uniqueness of the clock, the on-plate presentation of the meals to be consumed and other things like great music videos etc. All the while remembering this is a family friendly forum ...

25% Rule: This is a short GB intended to showcase speed building skills with an unstarted kit. Therefore, the 25% rule is suspended for this GB. All kits must be unstarted, although removal of main components from the runners is acceptable.

So...    what will you be building?  

• Like 3

I'm gutted that I'll be away for the GB this year. 

I thoroughly enjoyed it last year; despite a family emergency near the end of the 24hours, it was thoroughly enjoyable and recommend that members give it a go.

One tip from the UAMF, where we've been doing Blitzbaus for quite some time: it is not only ALLOWED, but strongly RECOMMENDED to study (and annotate) your instructions prior to the kick off of your 24 hour period...

best,

M.

• Like 2

I'm hoping to find the time to take part and if I do I think I shall have a go at this kit:

IMG_9110

Looks like it should be fun!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 4

We were on a trip to Brum and Stix had already said he was going to take part in this build with his Sherman... I did think of buying the Tiger, but as Stix already had it I thought I'd go for something different - since I haven't yet built an aircraft this appealed to me: 

The Meng Kids Lancaster Bomber

IMG_9118

• Like 4

On 25/07/2017 at 09:15, cmatthewbacon said:

One tip from the UAMF, where we've been doing Blitzbaus for quite some time: it is not only ALLOWED, but strongly RECOMMENDED to study (and annotate) your instructions prior to the kick off of your 24 hour period...

and check your paints; nowt so gutting as being well into the build to find your only tin of exteriorcockpitundercarriage yellowygreenyblueygrey has solidified whilst you weren't looking

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Black Knight said:

and check your paints; nowt so gutting as being well into the build to find your only tin of exteriorcockpitundercarriage yellowygreenyblueygrey has solidified whilst you weren't looking

That's actually not that big of a problem. You simply use RLM62a Sky Type'R' Trainer Black and call it close enough for gov't work!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

So let me get this right, no parts missing, Decals that have a fighting chance of working and having the correct paints before you start.

Now you tell me what I've been doing wrong ! :rage:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Can I ask a question regarding this GB

I was considering building a Unicraft kit, which would be my first Resin build. The kit itself is fairly simple, however the smaller parts are entombed in a lake of resin flash, can I remove them prior to the GB kicking off ?

cheers Pat

58 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

the smaller parts are entombed in a lake of resin flash, can I remove them prior to the GB kicking off ?

In other GBs, removing vacform parts from their sheet before the GB begins is considered acceptable.  I think this situation is comparable. Go for it! :thumbsup:

Just now, Enzo Matrix said:

In other GBs, removing vacform parts from their sheet before the GB begins is considered acceptable.  I think this situation is comparable. Go for it! :thumbsup:

Great thanks Enzo, have you decided what you're. Going to build yet ?

Having failed last year, I will be back for another go.

My entry will Horizon Models Mercury Spacecraft. Box contains parts for two kits, will aim to build both, on in launch mode with the escape tower and one in orbit mode, 

Mercury Spaceraft 027 Horizon Models 01 Box Shot

• Like 2

Damn my weekend at work for the second blitzbuild! the only way I could keep within the rules would be a 6 AM to noon all out blitz on a kit on

one of the  morning's as I goto work at 1 PM and cant work at night as I only have poor temporary lighting due to a new kitchen coming, would

a six hour build be allowed?

• Like 3

7 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Damn my weekend at work for the second blitzbuild! the only way I could keep within the rules would be a 6 AM to noon all out blitz on a kit on

one of the  morning's as I goto work at 1 PM and cant work at night as I only have poor temporary lighting due to a new kitchen coming, would

A 6 hour build ! :bristow: Nobody likes a show off you know ! 

Good luck Steve, have you decided what you can build in 6 hours ?

cheers Pat

• Like 1

My Group Build completion rate is, frankly, very poor.

In fact, my completion rate is just awful :sad:.

A few weeks ago @Duncan B of BlackMike models very kindly sent a bargain, quite hard to find, 1/72 Sword Bf 109D to me.

All the way UK to Australia for a very, very bargainous price.

It arrived safely last week:

IMG_3317.jpg

It contains a few resin parts, 

I'm still stuck in bed so it will be a 'build it on a tray and use a hairy stick for painting' job :).

Because it involves less colours, and because I'm a real enthusiast of modelling Spanish Civil War subjects, I'll endeavour to build a Werner Mölders aircraft;

IMG_3314.jpg

Using decals I have left over from many shelf of doom and 'lump hammer fatality' attempts at the Avis kit :thumbsup2: .

If I don't finish this, I would love a Crackerjack pencil ✏️ ;).

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 5

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

A 6 hour build ! :bristow: Nobody likes a show off you know ! 

Good luck Steve, have you decided what you can build in 6 hours ?

cheers Pat

No idea all Pat easy option would be a HB easykit but my only access to them is via online shopping now too late,my stash is none existant

so the local shop is due a visit,Airfix 1/72 aircraft is on the cards in a simple scheme.

Uh-oh. An (old mould) Airfix Phantom seems to have risen from the stash and is now haunting the floor next to my desk with the 17 pounder on it. I might use an aftermarket drop-in cockpit... That's if I can build one out of card this week and sell it to myself before Saturday morning!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I haven't built a kit in 24hrs before (well not since the buy it and build it days of my yoof), so I thought that I would take part in the challenge this year. I am hoping that these will be simple enough for me to finish in time.

36597117861_cc3ae1499f_c.jpg

• Like 6

19 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Knowing the way you work Steve you could probably get a couple made in 6 hours!! 

9 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

My Group Build completion rate is, frankly, very poor.

In fact, my completion rate is just awful :sad:.

A few weeks ago @Duncan B of BlackMike models very kindly sent a bargain, quite hard to find, 1/72 Sword Bf 109D to me.

All the way UK to Australia for a very, very bargainous price.

It arrived safely last week:

IMG_3317.jpg

It contains a few resin parts, 

I'm still stuck in bed so it will be a 'build it on a tray and use a hairy stick for painting' job :).

Because it involves less colours, and because I'm a real enthusiast of modelling Spanish Civil War subjects, I'll endeavour to build a Werner Mölders aircraft;

IMG_3314.jpgThank 

Using decals I have left over from many shelf of doom and 'lump hammer fatality' attempts at the Avis kit :thumbsup2: .

If I don't finish this, I would love a Crackerjack pencil ✏️ ;).

Best regards

TonyT

Sound like a good plan Tony!

51 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

You going to rig it?? 

:wicked:

Adrian

That was going to be my question to John too!

Really looking forward to the weekend.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 5