Eastern Express 1/144 HP Herald?

Hi,

Having just received my fleet of new Eastern Express (EE) Shorts 360s, I noticed on the side of the box "box art" for a new release - an HP Dart Herald.

Presumably this will be in 1/144 as the other kits pictured are all to that scale. This is great news and I hope other airliner kits are forthcoming from this manufacturer.

20170721_132235.jpg

and 

20170721_132948.jpg

Some won't like the scale, some won't like the subject and still others will have hang-ups from past experience with this company, but I applaud them for turning sites onto the commuter planes - theres more to aviation than WW2!!!

Jeff

• Like 6

In 1/144 it will be little, the Short360 is going to test my eyes enough but for someone running out of shelf space its the right size! 

The recent offerings from EE are really good,  panel line detail on the 360 is neat and tidy. 

I'm.looking forward to this and this the other models shown on the box side above.

Jeff 

No, I don't like the scale - the Herald is of quite modest proportions so my personal view is that a 1/72 model at least would be preferred. I DO like the subject though. I remember these aircraft well as they were frequently in and out of Edinburgh airport. I might be persuaded by this little model - and perhaps by the F-27 also illustrated. Now, how about a decent Viscount & Vanguard? My personal dislike of this scale notwithstanding, I have been known to turn to the dark side if nothing else is available!!:lol:

Allan

Edited by Albeback52
  • Like 3

I've got their rendition of the Frog Herald somewhere in the stash.  It's rough, with awful scarring on the plastic, and plenty of flash.  Hopefully this isn't just a re-issue of that kit because the moulds have clearly had it.    If this is a new tool in 144th I'll be quite happy as I've pretty much decided that 144th is the way ahead for me with airliners.  I simply no longer have the room, or at least won't once I've got round to building various 1/72 V-Bombers, Nimrod, Shackletons et al.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Albeback52 said:

No, I don't like the scale - the Herald is of quite modest proportions so my personal view is that a 1/72 model at least would be preferred. I DO like the subject though. I remember these aircraft well as they were frequently in and out of Edinburgh airport. I might be persuaded by this little model - and perhaps by the F-27 also illustrated. Now, how about a decent Viscount & Vanguard? My personal dislike of this scale notwithstanding, I have been known to turn to the dark side if nothing else is available!!:lol:

Allan

Viscount and Vanguard!?! Now that would be nice,  we can only hope.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Meatbox8 said:

I've got their rendition of the Frog Herald somewhere in the stash.  It's rough, with awful scarring on the plastic, and plenty of flash.  Hopefully this isn't just a re-issue of that kit because the moulds have clearly had it.    If this is a new tool in 144th I'll be quite happy as I've pretty much decided that 144th is the way ahead for me with airliners.  I simply no longer have the room, or at least won't once I've got round to building various 1/72 V-Bombers, Nimrod, Shackletons et al.

Ah, I knew someone had rehashed the Frog kit but wasn't sure if if was EE. Fingers crossed I'm not getting excited about another rough re-release of this kit. I'm running out of room too even with 1/144, so the range of aircraft shown on the side of the box certainly won't take up that much room.

It's worth keeping an eye on this forum (below) for future news of EE releases.

http://www.pas-decals.ru/forum/novosti/1078-novinki-vostochnyj-ekspress

• Like 1

Suits me!  In the right BIA colours too so I can depict the example I flew in for my 'flown in collection'!  The DHC-8 tooo!!! Smashing! And Skyvan.....hmmm!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, pinky coffeeboat said:

Ah, I knew someone had rehashed the Frog kit but wasn't sure if if was EE. Fingers crossed I'm not getting excited about another rough re-release of this kit. I'm running out of room too even with 1/144, so the range of aircraft shown on the side of the box certainly won't take up that much room.

It's worth keeping an eye on this forum (below) for future news of EE releases.

http://www.pas-decals.ru/forum/novosti/1078-novinki-vostochnyj-ekspress

Thanks for the link.  Anyway, fingers crossed for a new tool.  They certainly seem to be turning out some nice kits these days. 

Edited by Meatbox8

4 hours ago, pinky coffeeboat said:

Ah, I knew someone had rehashed the Frog kit but wasn't sure if if was EE.

Maquette (via Novo) did a rehash; from what I can recall, the emphasis was very much on the 'hash' bit of rehash (both in that  the kit was a bit of a mess and whoever oversaw its production might very well have been smoking the stuff)

• Like 2

On ‎22‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 2:27 PM, The Tomohawk Kid said:

An Olympic Skyvan, cool.

Thomo.

Did you ever build the Airfix 1/72 Skyvan? It was a very nice kit and, one I would certainly like to see re issued. I think it featured Olympic Airways markings  also.

Allan

2 hours ago, Albeback52 said:

Did you ever build the Airfix 1/72 Skyvan? It was a very nice kit and, one I would certainly like to see re issued. I think it featured Olympic Airways markings  also.

Allan

Allan,

Yes, I have.

I built one shortly after it was released circa 1975 and still have an orginal and re-issue knocking about. It however, came from a time when Airfix where hell bent on making rivet queens.

I have a soft spot for the 'classic' Olympic livery and in my yet to build pile have a 1/144 AA 707 and Welsh Models 1/72 Comet 3B both with Olympic liveries.

Thomo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid
typo
  • Like 1

On 22/07/2017 at 1:27 AM, XV107 said:

Maquette (via Novo) did a rehash; from what I can recall, the emphasis was very much on the 'hash' bit of rehash (both in that  the kit was a bit of a mess and whoever oversaw its production might very well have been smoking the stuff)

Maybe mine is Maquette, not EE.  It's been at the very bottom of a big box of kits for a long time and doesn't get to see the light of day often.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Source: http://www.pas-decals.ru/forum/novosti/1078-novinki-vostochnyj-ekspress?start=459#37201

- ref. EE144125-1 - Handlay Page HPR-7 Dart Herald "Globe Air"

- ref. EE144125-2 - Handlay Page HPR-7 Dart Herald "Bavaria"

- ref. EE144125-3 - Handlay Page HPR-7 Dart Herald "UK Air"

- ref. EE144125-4 - Handlay Page HPR-7 Dart Herald "Channel Express"

618da977df3cde29f411fe5c1982b344.jpg

V.P.

• Like 4

As with previous 1/144 Eastern Express releases, the first (in this case four) versions to be made available will probably all come with laser-type decals (including the Air UK markings option for the Herald).

After a month or two, there will be a further version featuring silk-screen printed decals, in the Herald's case the decal will be the orange BIA livery. The version featuring a silk-screen decal is usually a little cheaper than the others.  Its usually the case that the "silk-screen" version comes in a box with painted artwork on the lid, rather than a photograph.  Also, the "silk-screen" version will have a Manufacturer code without a  -1, -2, -3 etc at the end of it.

Its probably just me, but the sprue shots of this kit only seem to feature one engine exhaust.....I hope I'm wrong.

The price of these kits varies wildly depending on where you buy them from.  I get mine direct from sources in Russia, and they're always a fraction of the prices being asked either on a well-known auction site or established retailers.

Lovely. I like the look of it. And they've chosen some interesting schemes. I'll keep an eye on eBay to see if I can score an acceptably priced sale.  

Yeah, I can only spot one exhaust too and I don't know what the blister is on the fin strake, but sandpaper gets rid of that easily for the versions that don't feature "it".

I quite fancy the BAF colours of black and yellow stripes, and just noticed it has the air intake on the strake and the blister below it. 

Like this

Jeff

Edited by pinky coffeeboat

Very welcome and will have to have one. I flew in one with Janus airways out of Lydd years ago G-TIGG I think, although I am having trouble remembering reggie's just lately!  Nice to see Ray taking an interest. 

Keith. 

Air UK one for me as it reminds me of one of the more bizarre flights I every had. In the old days of 20 minute check in's at Stansted (and I lived less than 35 min's from Stansted when it had very cheap all day parking outside the terminal) I flew about 4-5 times year to Glasgow. Coming back one day (it was either a Herald or Friendship) the pilot announced that this would not be a direct flight. We flew Glasgow-Edinburgh-Norwich-Stansted (I also have some recollection of Newcastle but cannot be sure). This was also in the days of afternoon tea on the plane and the cabin crew had great problems in serving, and clearing up, on the various hops.

• Haha 1